Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Does Iron-on Covering Stick to Filler?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Does Iron-on Covering Stick to Filler?

Old 05-12-2006, 02:39 AM
adavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Iron-on Covering Stick to Filler?

I'm in the process of finishing my first "proper" kit. I'm about to get started on the covering. There are some places on the model where I have used filler in order to get a smooth finish.

My concern is that the covering won't stick properly to the filler. Is this the case? Is there some kind of surface preperation I should use on the filler?

I've used both the lightweight "Red Devil" and some heavier Humbrol Model Filler.

Many Thanks,
=Adrian=
Old 05-12-2006, 03:22 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Does Iron-on Covering Stick to Filler?

Adavis-
Lite weight filler will melt when the iron heat is applied.On larger areas that need fill I use a bondo type fill with balsarite.
I only use lite weight fill for small holes and dents.This works best for me.
-Jeffo
Old 05-12-2006, 07:07 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Does Iron-on Covering Stick to Filler?

I use a filler called Paint and Patch. It is light weight and very easy to sand. All my coverings stick to it. You need to be careful as the covering will stick to it so well that if you need to adjust your covering it will pull some of the filler off when the covering is moved. I have never had a problem with it melting. Good Luck, Dave