Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Byron Staggerwing Engine Mounting

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Byron Staggerwing Engine Mounting

Old 05-15-2006, 09:54 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Staggerwing Engine Mounting

Anyone know what the side and down thrust measurements were on the staggerwing firewall/engine box?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Byron Staggerwing Engine Mounting

Contact the folks at Iron Bay, they can help. www.ironbaymodelcompany.com

Rich
Old 08-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Navy_Flyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Byron Staggerwing Engine Mounting

Assuming you are using the originally designed-for Q-35 engine, the down thrust is zero and the right thrust is 6 degrees. The right thrust is achieved by installation of a wood wedge behind the Quadra quick-mount, mounted offset so that the prop disc is centered once the cowl is installed.

Mine has some squirrely ground handling characteristics, but once airborne is on rails and flies great. Landing is easy, but I have to maintain just a bit of speed to keep the elevator effective and not nose over. I have the balance exactly where the plans say - upper wing forward spar. But she is a bit nose heavy on landing. Flaps help a lot, but it lands ok without them down too. I think I may need to play with the landing gear (retracts) and see if I can't set a bit of toe-in. Right now as installed the wheels are straight with the longitudinal axis. I think some toe-in will help.

I always take off with the flaps cracked down about 5 degrees, if only to lower the stall speed during the takeoff roll. It gets airborne quickly (before you may be ready), so the slightly lower stall speed with flaps cracked gives me some comfort close to the ground until I get the gear up on climbout. Then the flaps come up, and she's gone into the blue.

I installed a smoke system on my Q-35, and when I come across the field with the bird clean (gear up) and switch on the smoke, she looks "mahvelous"... and always gets an "awwwww". Follow that with a tail slide into the smoke and she'll forever be your favorite bird.

Staggerwing Beech. Don't leave home without it.

Tom