Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Swede520

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I did reinforce the landing gear blocks on the Goldberg Chipmunk,and it has a Super Tigre .61 in it...I just finished a Midwest StarDuster,and put a Saito 80 in it`s .40 2 stroke frame..I love the way it flies with that big 4 stroke..As for the bigger Slipstream I was looking
at a DLE 35RA. I am new to the gas engines,so I am just started to research and talk to others about it..I find the 2 cylinder 40cc DLE interesting, but not sure if the extra weight of the engine and with of the heads are worth it..Thanks for the info on the older Chipmunk kits..I sent in a request to Great Planes on their website in the suggestion box for a Giant Scale Super Chipmunk..I just ironed out some wrinkles on the covering on the Slipstream plane..Looks like a good covering job and it sure seems light..The YouTube videos sure look like they fly good. I`m not into the 3D thing at all,but I sure like to ring em out..
Aztech Models is where I bought the Sipstream plane..
Old 04-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Swede520

rica1, I posted a reply to your last one,and now I`m not seeing it on here..Ok..My CG Super Chipmunk has a S.Tigre .61 on it and flies great..I just wish I would have put a big 4 stroke on this one,because it is the same engine I had on the first one back in the late 80`s..I just finished a 40 size Midwest StarDuster and put a Saito 80 on it..Love it! Also thanks for the info on larger Chipmunks.I am still looking..I put a plug in for a Giant Scale Super Chipmunk on Great Planes website..Hope others do too,because it`s a classic design and pretty popular..

My Slipstream Super Chipmunk I am thinking of a DLE 35RA..I was also going to look into some 40cc`s. I don`t much experience with gas engines yet,so if anyone has any suggestions for what to put on my 80 in, 13-15lb Slipstream Super Chipmunk I`m all ears..
Or is that for another thread?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:02 PM
rica1
My Feedback: (32)

Swede520, Swap out that ST .61 a put a .91FS in it. I enjoyed it more. When your not enjoying your new StarDuster do you fly the Chipmunk much? Sounds like your familiar with the landing gear needs. Great Planes made a large Super Chipmunk (had a two piece wing), it was discontinued after a few years I think. Didn't seem to popular.
I bought a DLE 35RA for my Slipstream, thought it will make a good match. Don't have time to put it together yet. There is a build thread of a Slipstream Chipmunk on another site (FG). It is very long, I have read some of it. I've also, seen a couple You Tube videos of it flying and seemed to be a good flyer. I did mention to Aztech that I would like to see a two piece wing. The cowl seems pretty wide, it may accommodate a 40cc twin. I like to hear what other people are happy with engine wise and then decide. If the 35RA doesn't give good flight performance I would probably look for a 40cc single to power it. Let me know what you decide and when you get started on the Slipstream.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:37 PM
danpos

I'm still flying my Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk. I wish I would have taken the time to install retracts in it. I'm going to strip the covering off and redo the plane this winter. If I can remove the landing gear blocks without destroying the wing I might go with retracts after all.
After a crash and repair I went with an air brushed military theme for fun. That has to go this winter.
But even with the Saito 100 I found it lacking for power. It was just over 8 lbs.
For fun I put a Saito 120S in it. It works very well. Finally happy with the power and I might just leave it in there. It's a touch over 10 lbs now.

But I think if I would have installed retracts in it, it would have flown much cleaner and the Saito 100 would have been fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDbCIRuyICE
Old 09-23-2015, 01:54 PM
rica1

Danpos, that is fast and tracks like it's on rails! I thought a Saito 100 would be good since I've flown a CG Chippy with a .91FS. Also, the World models Super Chipmunk is lighter and comes with retracts. I have also put aluminum L/G attached to the fuse on one (haven't flown yet) as I got tired of bending the L/G back to often.
Would be interested in what retracts you go with if you do decide on them. Also some pics would be great! Let us know when you start.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 PM
danpos

[QUOTE=rica1;
Would be interested in what retracts you go with if you do decide on them. Also some pics would be great! Let us know when you start.[/QUOTE]

I am planning on using these struts.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Class_2pc.html

And the same retracts I use on my Top Flite 60 size Warbirds.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...unt_2pcs_.html
Old 09-23-2015, 03:19 PM
rica1

I just looked at your links and the retracts look very interesting. Sounds like they hold up well and you like them. Do you have any photos of your prior installations? Can the struts be shortened some if needed? Can you show us your install when you do it? Thanks for the links. Rick
Old 09-23-2015, 04:46 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I am thinking of taking mine off the rack and stripping the fabric/Rustoleum covering and redoing it with plastic. That should shave at least a pound off the plane. I also have a CF landing gear from something and may install that, even if it doesnt match the plane, just so that I dont have to keep fixing the gear every time I land.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:47 PM
danpos

Originally Posted by rica1
I just looked at your links and the retracts look very interesting. Sounds like they hold up well and you like them. Do you have any photos of your prior installations? Can the struts be shortened some if needed? Can you show us your install when you do it? Thanks for the links. Rick
I'll take a video of the gear operating. they operate nice and slow. You can't cut the oleos struts, but there is a few different sizes to choose from.
If I install them in the Chipmunk I will take pictures and post them. It's straight forward though.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:49 PM
rica1

A video sounds good! Also, photos on a Chipmunk. Are you planning to use the 140mm length? I'm interested in the set up.
Acdii, Going to use Ultracoat? or Monokote? Super Chipmunk scheme? A pound should make a good difference!
Old 09-25-2015, 07:05 AM
acdii

Going to use Ultracoat, it works a lot better than Monojoke. If I do the Super design, I may mix the two, cover the entire plane in white Ultra, and use Monjoke with the liquid bonding agent for the colors. Most likely I will do the whole plane in white, then let it sit out in the sun a few times to tighten up before applying the colors so I wont have to worry about stretch marks.

I was going to do scale retracts, but couldnt figure out how to get them past the spars once the wing was built.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:53 PM
rica1

I like Ultracoat too, it goes around corners and easier to work with. What's the reason you like Monkote for the colors? Does it adhere better with trim solvent? Maybe Danpos has the answer on the retracts hitting the main spar.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:05 PM
acdii

There is no solvent for Ultracoat that I know of. The biggest issue with monokote is the shrinkage, or lack of it. Thats why using it on top of already shrunk tight Ultracoat shouldnt be an issue.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:58 AM
bodybuildr
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More power equals more fun!