Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 4*40 Landing Gear Bolts

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 4*40 Landing Gear Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 06:26 PM
FrancisPerson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 4*40 Landing Gear Bolts

I am building a Sig 4*40. I am reluctant to use the 6*32 metal bolts as the first clumsy landing will tear the bottom of the fuselage off. Who used Nylon bolts and what size?

Francis
Old 06-03-2006, 07:28 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sig 4*40 Landing Gear Bolts

Use 10-24 nylon bolts. The next size up is 1/4-20, and it is highly unlikely your airplane could shear that size due to the low weight and speed.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: FrancisPerson

I am building a Sig 4*40. I am reluctant to use the 6*32 metal bolts as the first clumsy landing will tear the bottom of the fuselage off. Who used Nylon bolts and what size?

Francis
Why not make up a couple of ply gussets, and install them on the gear plate and to the adjacent upright. Use epoxy, and you won't believe how much abuse they will take. I would not change over to nylon bolts. If you are that prone to rupping your gear off, maybe you should take a few more landing lessons. (no offense intended)

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-03-2006, 08:54 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest the 1/4 x 20 nylon bolts. They will protect the bottom of your fuselage if you have a rough landing, or lose one wheel like a buddy did a while back. Actually, make that quite a few buddies losing wheels. Anyway, it is a good system to mount main gears and probably much better than little wood screws.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Dr1Driver

1/4-20 is too large and will not shear off when you want them to. I'd use 4 10-24. They will pop off on a hard landing and save your plane's fuselage.

Drill and tap the LG mount. Soak the threads with thin CA. Re-tap. Do this twice more. You'll have threads in the ply that will never strip out. I've used this method on all my planes, even a giant Stinger (with appropriately-sized bolts). It works great!

Dr.1
Old 06-04-2006, 09:44 AM
FrancisPerson

Bill,

I practice touch and go's endlessly but once and a while???

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: FrancisPerson

Francis
Why not make up a couple of ply gussets, and install them on the gear plate and to the adjacent upright. Use epoxy, and you won't believe how much abuse they will take. I would not change over to nylon bolts. If you are that prone to rupping your gear off, maybe you should take a few more landing lessons. (no offense intended)

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-04-2006, 09:40 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have broken off enough times for me, but I won't argue the size part of it. Maybe you are right, but it isn't worth hassling over. I have both balsa and small pieces of pine blocks tapped pretty much as you stated. I tapped, CA'ed, and retapped only once on mine. I wouldn't do this thru only ply. Even a hardened balsa block would be better. A think piece of ply could act as a blade to shear the bolts unnecessarily.......
Old 06-04-2006, 09:45 PM
meridianflyer

I use the 1/4-20 nylon bolts on my 4*40 and they work great. No problems.