Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1/3 scale wendell hostetller piper cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/3 scale wendell hostetller piper cub

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 03:31 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 scale wendell hostetller piper cub

im going to do a cessna 182 top flite kit pretty soon after that i am going to build the piper cub wendell hostettler 1/3 scale kit and wonder what engine sizes ya'll put on your aircraft? also can a pegasus ft 320 flat four four stroke be able to power the 1/3? if i use solartex fabric covering which is by the way really goood stuff, be able to keep it light enough? what are yall's tips on building this huge piper? im a huge piper fan and i want it BIG. i really don't want a 2 stroke due to the noise i don't like hearing a chainsaw in the air putting around i think it's more anoying so i wonder if there is something a little bit bigger than the pegasus flat four, that is a four stroke engine. do any of you have any pics of your cub in the building process? and can someone email me a manual from an internet source i can't seem to find one about it maybe if ya'll have one on acrobat reader or something alike. thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/3 scale wendell hostetller piper cub

I have a BUSA J3 Cub that I have an OS "Pegasus" 320 in with "Kelo," exaust system. It's all the power you need to fly the Cub Scale. Looks great and sounds awesome. I still have to put the shrouds on the engine, and have much more detail work to do. Seems like you never completely get done with the detail. I have a "Kelo," exaust system on my Cub. By the way.....I have another Pegasus 320 that has only been bench run, (less than 1/2 gallon. It has an on-board starter, and Kelo exaust system on it. I could be persuaded to sell it if your interested in a Pegasus. However, a 300 "Twin," will fly it almost as well as the Pegasus 320, and not quite as costly. Good luck which ever way you go. NOTHING BEATS A CUB FOR PURE ENJOYMENT. Bob Laine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44495.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	474827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80481.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	474828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34387.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	474829  
Old 06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
CRAZYRYAN

that is exactly i was talking about! thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 04:24 AM
tobba

Hi Bob, About to start a 1/3 scale cub. I was also planning to run a Pegasus. You say enough power to fly in a scale format. How do you think the pegasus would handle the cub on floats? Planning sea commander floats. Regards Craig
Old 06-11-2006, 06:02 AM
Bob Laine

Hi tobba, I'm don't think you'd have any problem at all by adding the "sea commander floats, to your Cub, And the "WOW" factor would be great. Good luck with your build, and keep us informed on your progress. Bob.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:00 AM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a great build coming up. If you can afford the Pegasus, go for it, nothing like four cylinders sticking out, all scale and everything, and they really WORK!.

As far as covering goes, Solartex would be my prefinished fabric choice, but if you do the rib stitching and pinking tapes, you'll need to "blend" and seal the rough edges, so some kind of overcoating would be needed. I'd go with Koverall, or Stits, or Nelson. It means more finishing work, but in the long run would give you the best scale appearance.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:54 PM
tobba

Thanks for response Bob. I have the engine and am waiting for the kit to arrive - slightly back to front! I am planing not to go tp crazy from a scale perspective, with the main aim being to keep the weight down. I am very much looking for a scale performance and am not interested in tearing up the sky. I had read on a thread that besides pulling the model from the water the 1/3 scale cub hardle notices the floats are there when flying. I will post some images when underway. Maybe not be for a few months as I am moving house. Regards.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Bob Laine

One other thing tobba. If you really want to go for the "WOW " factor............,Buy, or make a canoe that you can strap to the floats. It really gives a special look to you Cub. Sorta like your headed for one of the "ALASKA," back country Trout streams. Good luck. Bob