Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

New Builder

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New Builder

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:31 PM
KI4KWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Builder

Hi, I have been into Rc planes for about 3 years- 2 planes- Aerobird Xtreme, and a PZ Super Decthalon. I am about to buy a trainer to move up to gas power and maybe be proficient by the end of this fall. I would like to be prepared to start building a plan from a kit this winter, not a 2nd plane, but something REALLY GOOD for later on, so flying skill doesnt matter. I have never built anything, and I dont know anything about covering, balsa techniques, etc.... But that doesnt matter either, because all iv got is time. I was looking at the Sig 1/5 or 1/6 scale J-3 cub. I just love a good cub. What i need help with is the prep and building process. I know that the first thing i must have is a place to build it, so i will start working on that. Also, I will need some detailed explantions on what i need to start, and where to get them. I am familliar with aerodynamics and how a plane flys- thrust, drag, gear, lift, struts, horizontal stab., etc. Anyway, this will be an ongoing thread throughout the building process, probably through this winter and next spring.

So, first question, would the 1/6 or 1/5 scale Sig Cub be alright for me to build? Expirence doesnt really matter, because iv got time and iv got all the fine people on these forums!!
Thanks,
KI4KWF
Old 06-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: New Builder

Sig Cubs are "builder's" kits. Lots of parts and procedures. They build into beautiful scale planes. They build fairly easily and fly great. Sig planes are some of the best. Either Cub would be a great kit-building learning experience. Go for it! We'll help all we can.

Dr.1
Old 06-13-2006, 01:13 PM
KI4KWF

GREAT!!!! This is gonna be so cool. I was looking at the Sig 1/6 scale cub. i know i need to do other this first, like find a place to build it!! What i need is a list of tools and parts to start building[details please, im a dummy on building!!]
Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KI4KWF

GREAT!!!! This is gonna be so cool. I was looking at the Sig 1/6 scale cub. i know i need to do other this first, like find a place to build it!! What i need is a list of tools and parts to start building[details please, im a dummy on building!!]
You need to start with a good building board. Something nice and flat. Interior house doors, old kitchen tables, homemade benches ect. Just make sure it's nice and flat. Cover the board with that pink stuff or a ceiling tile. - Do a search on building boards and you'll get all kinds of ideas. There are also the magnetic boards, but I've never used one of those.

Tee pins.
#11 Exacto knife and buy a box of 100 blades. They are a much better buy that way and you never have to struggle with a dull blade.
Zona saw.
Miter box
Lots of sandpaper from 60 grit to 400 grit.
Sanding block - I have a couple of different styles for different applications
Clamps. - Sears sells little spring clamps in a tube for $10
Wax paper for covering your plans.
Compass - optional
Metal ruler
Small square
Soft pencil
Kite string - don't ask why, just have it on hand. You'll figure it out. (Fishing servo wires, fuel lines, checking straightness)
Dust mask.- Balsa dust is hard on your lungs
Shop vac for clean-up of balsa dust
Balsa filler - Believe me, nobody makes perfect sheeting joints.
Paper towls
Alcohol for cleaning up epoxy and getting through those times when you glue your firewall on upside down. pppffftttt
CA - Thin and Med. Don't bother with the thick stuff - use epoxy in that case.
Epoxy - 30 or 45 min. Don't bother with the 5 min stuff - use Med CA for that.
Alphatic resin (Sp?) AKA wood glue. - Don't use CA for sheeting, it's a pain to sand and yes you can wait for it to dry....
Emery boards - for fine sanding.
Masking tape - to hold some parts together.
Soft chair for your bum.
TV or radio for entertainment while you're holding something together while the wood glue dries.

Enjoy. Building is a craft and a hobby all in itself.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I have been into Rc planes for about 3 years- 2 planes- Aerobird Xtreme, and a PZ Super Decthalon. I am about to buy a trainer to move up to gas power and maybe be proficient by the end of this fall. I would like to be prepared to start building a plan from a kit this winter, not a 2nd plane, but something REALLY GOOD for later on, so flying skill doesnt matter. I have never built anything, and I dont know anything about covering, balsa techniques, etc.... But that doesnt matter either, because all iv got is time. I was looking at the Sig 1/5 or 1/6 scale J-3 cub. I just love a good cub. What i need help with is the prep and building process. I know that the first thing i must have is a place to build it, so i will start working on that. Also, I will need some detailed explantions on what i need to start, and where to get them. I am familliar with aerodynamics and how a plane flys- thrust, drag, gear, lift, struts, horizontal stab., etc. Anyway, this will be an ongoing thread throughout the building process, probably through this winter and next spring.

So, first question, would the 1/6 or 1/5 scale Sig Cub be alright for me to build? Expirence doesnt really matter, because iv got time and iv got all the fine people on these forums!!
Thanks,
KI4KWF
I really respect Memphisbelle's building skills, and the first plans he ever bought were Don Smith's B-17. He did a terrific job on it, too, but along the way he built planes to learn on, and planes to practice building.

In the event you find that Cub a bit intense, I suggest you build a Kadet, on the side. The trainers have lots of tips and introductory methods that you don't get in the more advanced plane kits. Plus, you get a nice easy flyer for those lazy sunday afternoons.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 06-13-2006, 07:18 PM
KI4KWF

Yeah, I had seen the kadets and had thought about that, we'll see what happens. And also, who is Memphisbelle?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Great Planes Cub is an easy build but not as scale. The building board is the must have item on the list. A good exacto knife with A lot of blades is another must plus the saw. Everything else you can buy as needed. Start out simple then as you keep building you will end up with all the other stuff as needed. Or in my case, Wanted.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:55 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

k14,
Check out the SIG 1/5 scale Cub. It's a new kit, all laser cut and very well engineered. It builds very easily and is very scale as well.
Yes, get a good building board. A hollow core door works well. Cover it with ceiling tile to take pins. Also, make sure you check otu Caffeenman's website, Airfield Models. It's a must for a builder.

papermache
Old 06-14-2006, 08:50 AM
KI4KWF

I had looked at all the cubs, and right off i knew that the quarter scale was a bit to huge for me. Would the 1/5 be better than the 1/6??
Old 06-14-2006, 08:52 AM
KI4KWF

Also, would a 60 size engine be too much power? I would want to have the ability to tow gliders/ banners/ etc if i could.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:19 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

The 1/5 Cub has a span of 84" with a 2-piece wing which makes it easily transportable. The one I built has a .70 4-stroke which is more than enough power. (the kit calls for .40-.46 2-stroke, .46-.65 4-stroke). With a larger engine, it should tow gliders, but I can't comment on that, never having done it.

papermache
Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 PM
KI4KWF

ok, good. i had talked to people that had 4-strokes in their planes and they said they run a lot better than glow. I also have more expirence with 4-stroke engines- i deal with small tractors and weed-eaters alot. As yall know, i am looking into getting a nexstar to start gas power training shortly. i have family land that is a huge open field, a few hills, and a prety long flat strip of "crusher run" gravel and taller grass. How long would you think it would take to take off and land a nexstar? would it do better on grass if i made it a tail dragger? an instructer has a lot in an Rv park on the same land. A large lake is also nearby for float ops also.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:20 PM
KI4KWF

Would it be possible to put a good sized 4-stroke [60?] in the Kadet Mk.II? That seems like a plane i might want to build to get expirence building while im learning with the nexstar. i would like to be able to take the engine out of the kadet and put it in the cub when time comes., and use the same 4-channel radio that comes with the nexstar.
anyone ever heard of Guillows? I was digging through my rc stuff and found a Piper Cherokee 140 kit from them- 20 inch wingspan. THis things got all kinda goodies in it- all the balsa parts, windshield, and somekinda tissue-paper like stuff that i guess would be the covering. I might try to build this as an expirament- it was givin to me by a pilot friend, so i guess i could mess up.
Iv also got some G.P. 30 Pro epoxy that i got a while back from hobbytown- comes in 2 bottles. i'll see what i can do with this thing.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:39 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

My first plane was a Sig LT 40 kit. There are a lot of tips on building kits in the instructions for that plane. Plus it has a 70" wing span that could easily handle a 60 size 4 stroke.

Kerry
Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 AM
KI4KWF

Seems as if i might start witha kadet. I like the Mk.II, because of the steel landing gear as opposed to the wire. where i plan to fly, it might need that extra support. but first weve got to build a shop to have a place to work!- my mom would never let me use epoxy and saws in the house!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 AM
KI4KWF

Ok, so im looking into the kadet Mk2. the plane is $90, and evolution .40 2-stroke trainer power system is 80$, and the radio i want is the JR sport 4-channel system- 100$- this totals to 270$. WHat other expenses would be involved with getting this thing flying? I can improvise a make-shift building spot someplace until i get my corner in my dads shop [when he gets around to building it]. I.E.- an old interior door on some saw-horses' on my patio with some 1/2" s.foam insulation on top of it.!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:36 AM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken forgot the beer, but otherwise the compiled list looks pretty complete.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:32 PM
KI4KWF

hehe! yeah the beer part is funny but im only 14[8D] and im christian, so that rules that out completely! besides, i hate the smell of the stuff[:'(]
Old 06-20-2006, 06:24 PM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

oops, I apologize. Open mouth, insert foot. I wasn't necessarily trying to condone it, especially in your case.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:21 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Ok, so im looking into the kadet Mk2. the plane is $90, and evolution .40 2-stroke trainer power system is 80$, and the radio i want is the JR sport 4-channel system- 100$- this totals to 270$. WHat other expenses would be involved with getting this thing flying? I can improvise a make-shift building spot someplace until i get my corner in my dads shop [when he gets around to building it]. I.E.- an old interior door on some saw-horses' on my patio with some 1/2" s.foam insulation on top of it.!
Covering, tank, tires, etc. Look on tower and you will get a list of what you need to get this plane going. The Lt-40 that was recommended to you also comes with tires, tank, etc. It's a lot more complete kit, bigger, etc.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFF91&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFG11&P=7
Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sig 1/6 Cub may not be the best for a first build in my opinion (Others may disagree and you may love that kit). You may want to look at the Goldberg Aniversery Edition Cub or the Great Planes Cub. My first kit was a Goldberg cub. Sig kits are excellent (I've built two Four Star 40's and I'm getting ready to build a new Somthin Extra), the 1/6 cub just may a little difficult for the first go-round. Another good kit to look at is the Great Planes Rapture. It's an easy build and a great flyer. The only problem I found with it was the poor die cutting and some bad plywood. The Sig 4 star is also good, plus it's laser cut so parts fit better, with less work.

As for tools, make sure you have plenty of sharp #11 blades, a razor saw, a flat building board, triangles, straight edge, sanding block with various grits of paper, clamps, rubber bands and all of the necessary adhesives on-hand. Start with the basic stuff and add more after you get experience and decide what else you might want. Don't foget the CA de-bonder. Trust me... you just may need it to get a part off of your finger.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 AM
KI4KWF

i looked at my hobby shop in town yesterday, and they seemed to have known just what i was looking for- hobby knives, #11 blades, saws, all sorts of glues[so many it made no sense to me] and a bunch of paint [but i think it was for cars]. and other stuff too.