Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cub wingspan question

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cub wingspan question

Old 06-13-2006, 05:43 PM
ravenatnm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cub wingspan question

Are there any Cub designs with two piece wings? I want to build a float plane and am thinking that bigger would be better, but I don't have a trailer to haul the typical large wings of these types of airplanes. About 64" is all I can do which would limit me to the GP .20 sized or a clipped wing .40 sized.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:39 PM
DaveB

Default RE: Cub wingspan question

Take a look at the Sig 1/5 scale cub. It has a 2 piece wing and should be quite tranportable.

DaveB
Old 06-13-2006, 08:47 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That would be my vote, too. I have one, an awesome plane to fly, and an equally awesome kit, all laser cut, functional wing struts, great scale detail. The wing center section is part of the fuselage, and the wing halves slide on to a wing tube and have a screw inside the cabin, plus the strut mount. Each wing half is 40 inches, and the fuse is 55-1/2 inches long from prop nut to tail. The horizontal tail is 24 inches wide. The Great Planes 40- size floats would be just about perfect for it. With floats, a .65-.72 4 stroke would be perfect also.

I don't have floats on my Sig, but I modified mine and it weighs about 11 pounds, and I fly the heck out of it with a .65 Saito. I also have a Hangar 9 Cub ARF, just a tiny bit smaller (80 inch wing vs. the Sig's 84.5 inch) and I have the GP floats on the H-9 Cub, it weighs 11 pounds also and it has a ton of power with a .72 Saito. Both are plenty big, look great and perform well.

The next larger Cub with 2-piece wing is the 1/4 scale BUSA kit, each wing half is going to be about 50 inches, and the fuse will be about 65-66 inches, plus it will take something in the 1.20 or larger range to fly it with floats (G-26 would be nice, too). The Sig 1/4 scale Cub has a two piece wing, but the wing halves are different lengths. The center section is part of one wing half, and it bolts on like a one-piece wing.

Here's how the wing attach looks on the Sig 1/5 scale, minus the wing tube, but you can see the hole where the tube went. I omitted it in my L-4 conversion for aesthetic and scale reasons.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73920.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	477334  
Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 PM
redfox435cat

the hangar nine ARF with an 80 inch wing is 2 piece. there are 3-4 at our field and they fly great. and 2 were at out out float fly this weekend on great planes 60 floats. I have the GP 60 one piece wing 81!QUOT! and is kinda of cumbersome but I manage.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:21 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one more vote for the SIG 1/5 Cub. Grerat kit, really a fun build and it fits in my Neon.

papermache
Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

World Models have a number of Cub Arfs, Clipped wing and normal in sizes from 1/6 through 33%. Great Kits, very scale looking and fun to fly. I have the 1/5 clipped wing and use Magnum 70 FS for power. I have seen this one on floats and it is a good combination. The Wing is 2 piece using an Aluminum tube to join. I have taken it to the field in my son's VW Golf.

Jim
Old 06-14-2006, 04:03 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: papermache

one more vote for the SIG 1/5 Cub. Grerat kit, really a fun build and it fits in my Neon.

papermache
You could maybe mount the wings TO your Neon and fly it