Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

J3 Piper Cub - 60 Series

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

J3 Piper Cub - 60 Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:44 PM
maxstead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J3 Piper Cub - 60 Series

I recently puchased a J3 Piper used.

It has a bit of hangar rash and needs some floats.

Is there any way to tell which manufacturer this airplane comes from?

From what I can tell it is a GP Piper, but I downloaded the plans and it looks like some of the items are different (maybe it was an older kit?)

For example, the hinges seem to be plastic posts with actual pivot pins - rather than tape style.

It has the NC81455 decal on the wings a well.

The reason I am asking is that I would like to find a copy of the plans to help in the reconstruction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: J3 Piper Cub - 60 Series

ORIGINAL: maxstead

I recently puchased a J3 Piper used.

It has a bit of hangar rash and needs some floats.

Is there any way to tell which manufacturer this airplane comes from?

From what I can tell it is a GP Piper, but I downloaded the plans and it looks like some of the items are different (maybe it was an older kit?)

For example, the hinges seem to be plastic posts with actual pivot pins - rather than tape style.

It has the NC81455 decal on the wings a well.

The reason I am asking is that I would like to find a copy of the plans to help in the reconstruction.

I wouldn't worry about the hinges, I have a GP 60 size Cub kit in that I'm about to start on and the tape style hinges are going to be the first thing to go.

You may get a clue by the landing gear, The aluminum gear is in two pieces, and each half has four mounting holes, one in each corner. Look on page 33 of the manual.

We are talking the 90" wing span or 83" if they built it to the clipped wing version. Oh yes, the ailerons are bigger on the GP cub. Some of the other kits used strip ailerons. These are built up.

If you have any questions, post it and I'll see if I can answer. My kit is still untouched, so It will have to be something I can answer off the parts.

Don

Old 06-15-2006, 07:03 AM
maxstead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: J3 Piper Cub - 60 Series

The wing seems to measure in at 90.5" so probably not the clipped wing version.

The landing gear supports are aluminum and are in two halves with 4 screws in each corner.

I just want to ensure that if I am going to use the plans from Tower that are online for their Piper that I am not using the wrong ones (i.e. throw measurements, balance point, servo mounting, etc.)

The ailerons seem to be substantial (compared to my PT-40 which I would consider strip) and they are located closer to the tip of the wing (i.e. outboard half of the wing).

Thanks for your help - enjoy your build.