Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1/5 Scale Pica WACO question.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/5 Scale Pica WACO question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Bill Fleming
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 Scale Pica WACO question.

Do Pica kits include building guidance other than the plans? I am fortunate to have acquired a virgin Pica 1/5 Waco-YMF kit. If there is a builder's manual normally included with the kit, I want to try and obtain a copy.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Bill
Old 06-22-2006, 03:08 PM
ma_mulcahy

Default RE: 1/5 Scale Pica WACO question.

I too just purchased a Pica kit for a P51 and found the 60 page builders manual missing. I've read about others having the same issue here on RCU. Sounds like the factory shipped out some partial kits before they closed.

In addition to your post, you might want to attempt to contact people who have built and reviewed the kit here in RCU. Some may still have the book and be willing to share. That is the approach that worked for me. There is a great bunch of folks on this website and the support is awesome.

Mike
Old 06-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Ernest-T
My Feedback: (7)

There is a short manual in my kit. It is only 13 pages long, so it may not be all that helpful. I also have this kit, but it will be a while before I build it. I'm not sure if this is the actual manual or some type of brief overview. What I have is definitely not 60 pages. If you would like, I could scan what I have and email you guys a copy.

Let me know if you want one.

Oops! After re-reading the above posts, I saw that Bill was talking about the WACO, and that is the kit that has the 13 page manual. I also have a 1/6 scale Pica Mustang kit, and that one does have a much more detalied manual that is probably 60 pages or more. I do not know whether it would apply to the 1/5 scale Mustang.

Here is a photo of my second Pica Waco. I have built 2 of the 1/6 scale ones. This 2nd kit I converted to the ZPF version of the plane which has a closed 2nd cockpit with the 1st one left open:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80416.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	481242  
Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill Fleming

Do Pica kits include building guidance other than the plans? I am fortunate to have acquired a virgin Pica 1/5 Waco-YMF kit. If there is a builder's manual normally included with the kit, I want to try and obtain a copy.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Bill
I have several of these kits on hand, and have already build several. If you are expecting an insert tab (a) into slot (b) kind of book, you are out of luck. If you will send me your address, I will send you one of the manuals. As I said, don't expect too much.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Stickbuilder

Here's a couple of shots of the one that I am currently framing up.

Bill, AMa 4720

Name:	Db84746.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	481312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28872.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	481313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83729.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	481314  
Old 06-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Bill Fleming
My Feedback: (35)

Hello Bill:

Thanks for your response. I would appreciate a copy of the manual. I would build the kit without anything other than the plans, but I always accept any help I can get. Thanks for offering a copy. You can either email it or snail mail, whichever is best for you.

[email protected]

Bill Fleming
358 E. Connemara Lane
Eagle, ID 83616
208-939-0007

Thanks again for your kindness!

Bill
Old 06-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Ernest-T

ORIGINAL: Bill Fleming

Hello Bill:

Thanks for your response. I would appreciate a copy of the manual. I would build the kit without anything other than the plans, but I always accept any help I can get. Thanks for offering a copy. You can either email it or snail mail, whichever is best for you.

[email protected]

Bill Fleming
358 E. Connemara Lane
Eagle, ID 83616
208-939-0007

Thanks again for your kindness!

Bill
Bill I emailed you a copy of the manual in PDF format. It is a 1MB file and may take some time to download. Let me know if you have any problems. If anyone else needs a copy I have it on file.[8D]
Old 06-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Ernest-T

Sorry Bill,

I just checked my email and it looks like the copy of the manual I tried to send you got bounced back. I suspect it may be due to the large size. I will try to convert to a different (smaller) format and resend it.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Stickbuilder

Bill,

I mailed you an original manual this morning. You should have it in a few days. You will have to read between some of the lines, since whoever did the manual left a lot to the imagination. For instance, the manual does not even tell you when to build the tail section. Thankfully the part sizes for sheeting and sticks are called out on the plan. Match up the die crunched sheets with the schematic in the manual prior to punching (cutting them) them from the sheets. Be sure to identify them as well. There are no templates on the plans. At best, you are on your own.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Stickbuilder

Bill,
Did you receive the manual that I mailed to you yet? You should either receive it today, or tomorrow. Please let me know.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-29-2006, 04:43 PM
evdo

I recently came to own a 1/5 Scale Pica Waco as well, it's mostly built up already however needs some repairs from hanger rash and worst of all no plans came with it. If anyone has an extra copy of the plans they'd like to sell or could have copied at Staples for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

It looks like all the parts are there except for the N struts (outward struts between wings), which I'll have to fab myself. In the actual kit were these metal? Any info would help me.

Thanks
Tom

Old 06-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Ernest-T

ORIGINAL: evdo

I recently came to own a 1/5 Scale Pica Waco as well, it's mostly built up already however needs some repairs from hanger rash and worst of all no plans came with it. If anyone has an extra copy of the plans they'd like to sell or could have copied at Staples for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

It looks like all the parts are there except for the N struts (outward struts between wings), which I'll have to fab myself. In the actual kit were these metal? Any info would help me.

Thanks
Tom

I emailed you a copy of the manual. I have an extra copy of the 1/6 scale plans lying around here somewhere, I think? I'm not sure that they would be of too much help with the larger plane, but if you want them let me know and I could mail them out.

The N-struts had to be constructed from wooden pieces glued together over a diagram on the plans that showed the correct angles. The whole assembly was attached to the wings with plastic clips (at least that is how it worked for the 1/6 scale plane). I followed the plans for my first 1/6 scale WACO, but didn't like the result which tended to rattle around and later cracked. I made the second set out of K&S streamlined aluminum tubes with "V" shaped wooden pieces at the attachment points. I attached them to the wings with 4-40 bolts through small wire loops that I glued into the wooden attachment points. I posted this technique someplace else, but can't seem to find it now. Anyhow here is a photo of the completed N-strut:

Name:	Zx72509.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	484778  
Old 06-29-2006, 09:19 PM
evdo

Thanks Martin, got your email w/ the directions - every little bit of info helps, hopefully someone who has plans can help me out with a copy.

Also thanks for the pic of the N strut seems straight forward enough, without plans simple things become tricky.

-Tom
Old 07-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Stickbuilder

On the 1/5th scale, the N struts are made from Basswood. You must carve/sand them to shape, and they are screwed to the Nylon lugs that were built into the wing assemblies. I too have substituted K&S tubing which I soldered up, and filled with Epoxy (to give substance to the hollow tubing) and this worked about as well as anything else (took longer though). You don't really need the plan to make these struts though. Just measure between the forward and after mount lugs (both top and bottom), and measure from the top and bottom lugs (front and rear, both wings) and you will have your dimensions. This is a tedious task, but will reward you with a very strong assembly. I have used fiberglass cloth and glassed them with good results as well. There is no easy, quick way to build them though. Well, I suppose you could find someone to build them for you and that would be fairly easy, but most of the time, you pays for what you get.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 AM
Stickbuilder

Bill,
Did you recieve the manual yet?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Ron91

I have a Pica 1/5 scale WACO. This kit is not for the faint-of-heart. Before you start building, check the ribs; they're all different sizes. Stand them down to match before assembling. I've had the plane for several years with a Super Tiger 90 powering it. Barely enough to fly it. I recently put a Zenoa G26 on it. Now it flies really good. Take-offs are exciting if you're not use to a tail dragger. But it flies like a trainer.

Good Luck
Old 07-06-2006, 04:35 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Ron91

I have a Pica 1/5 scale WACO. This kit is not for the faint-of-heart. Before you start building, check the ribs; they're all different sizes. Stand them down to match before assembling.
Actually, I am in the process of framing up my latest 1/5th WACO YMF. The ribs that you mention are supposed to be of different sizes. You have a specific set of ribs for the center section, a specific rib for the root joiner, a specific set of ribs for the inboard span, a specific set of ribs for the aileron section , and two specific ribs for the tip section. If you sand the ribs to the same size, you will end up with a mess. Follow the plan, and hand number all the parts prior to punching them out of the carrier sheet. This is actually an easy building model, but it does have a large part count. I have used several diferent engines through the years on different builds of this same kit, and I have found that the OS 160 twin works best, It fits within the cowl, and makes good power. If one follows the direstions, and the manual, I can see no reason why anyone with basic building skills cannot successfully complete this kit.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-06-2006, 06:59 AM
evdo

Looks like i should be getting a copy of the plans in the next couple of days.

Quick question - How have you guys attached the Cabane struts to the upper wing? The upper wing on the mostly built kit I have is fully built and it looks like at one point the builder drilled some holes for the struts, but now they are filled in and there is no sign of how he was thinking of attaching them. From looking at the instructions there was a part used that was not included with my partial kit..?

On a different note, I was thinking going with the new Saito 1.25, comments?

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Stickbuilder

The Cabanes are attached to the upper wings by silver soldering lug type terminals to the strut wires. These lug terminals are then bent to align with the hardwood blocks that are in the upper wing. I would reccomend probing the bottom of the upper wing center section until you find the hardwood blocks or you can remove some of the sheeting on the top of the upper wing and you should find them there. These hardwood blocks are adjacent to the outermost center section ribs. They are only about 1 1/2 inches square, ao you really do need to be able to see them. I can take measurements from the plan for you if you like.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Stickbuilder

Pica includes 4 wood screws to attach the cabanes to the wings. I never have used these screws. I drill the blocks, and use T-nuts, and machine screws with the appropriate flat and lock washers. I used 10/24 size bolts and T-nuts on mine. I just do not trust wood screws to hold the entire center wing structure.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: evdo

On a different note, I was thinking going with the new Saito 1.25, comments?

Thanks
Tom
Tom,
If the Saito 125 will fit without cutting on the cowling, I would say that the engine would be adequate for this plane. I have not used this engine, but I have flown one on an OS 120 (non pump) and it did very well. I now use the OS 160 twin on all my WACO's, and they have abundant power for this plane. It is not a 3d model, but the full scale WACO YMF did not do vertical aerobatics. Well, unless you consider a vertical dive to be one.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-07-2006, 07:18 AM
evdo

Bill,

I mentioned the 1.25 because the 1.60 seemed "abundant" to me, I am planning on using the 1.25 in my goldberg ultimate (abundant for that plane) so I"ll have one to check fit with the Waco.

Thanks for the info on the cabane strut rigging, i should be receiving my copy of the plans in the next day or two so I can find the location for where those blocks "should" be. There are some little holes that are filled in that may be marks for the blocks and just filled/sanded as part of the finishing the original builder did. The whole idea of lugs + T-nut + etc makes perfect sense and seems easy to rig.

Regards
Tom

Old 07-07-2006, 05:23 PM
evdo

Plans came in the mail today! Now I have no excuse but to finish this up, first thing is a trip to Lowes to try and find some lugs that will mate with the struts. The plans really cleared things up, now only thing up in the air is the covering scheme!

Tom

P.S. - Did I mention how willing to help fellow modelers are in this hobby? I've only been at this for about a year and a half and I can't help but notice how helpful folks are...
Old 07-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Stickbuilder

don't expect that every time. You just happened to fall into a group of WACO enthusiasts. Those of us who love them, love them a lot. Those who don't appreciate two wings and a round engine could care less. Check out the antique/vintage forum.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Stickbuilder

Ernest T.

You would think that after sending a manual (postage paid) you would at least get a reply as to whether or not the guy received the thing would you not? Geez, I guess he got right into building his plane, and forgot about us. If he is expecting the manual to be very helpful, he's in for a rude awakening. The only thing that I got from mine is to remind me that the elevator joiner is now a dowell instead of square stock. I started using a dowell for that on the first one (before the change). If anyone is going to convert to a radial mount, let me know, and I will whip up some drawings and instructions to make life a little easier. This modification can be done after the model is built as well. A little more work, but it's worth it.

Bill, AMA 4720

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.