Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

wing fuel tanks

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

wing fuel tanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:00 PM
S3eker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing fuel tanks

Anybody try installing wing fuel tanks in their kits? I was thinking about this if not this kit, my next kit. I know there are some technical issues like syphoning gas from both tanks at the same time to maintain balance and to maximize flight time. Please let me know if you know of people already doing this.

cheers
Old 06-27-2006, 07:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: wing fuel tanks

Another big problem you are going to have it getting the fuel out of the tanks to the motor. You are going to have to use a pump system to get the fuel to the motor because muffler pressure is only good for about 10" or so. IMHO trying to do something like this is more trouble than it's worth. With all the plumbing and pumping system needed it's just going to add extra weight to the plane.

Ken
Old 06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
S3eker

I didn't know about the distance on the muffler pressure being only 10'', but that makes a lot of sense. I was just wondering how I could do this and will do more research. I appreciate the feedback.

cheers
Old 06-28-2006, 09:32 AM
gutmark

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

May want to get in touch with the people who do the cross country flying - they've probably got most of the bugs worked out. I think it would be interesting to see how you do it. Just another aspect of the hobby to enjoy!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:45 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

if you are building a plane with a gas engine you could concievable put the fuel tank anywhere the guys who fly gassers typically put the fuel tank over the CG. but Ken is correct in stating that on glow its kinda not worth the trouble without a pumping system. Gas engines have pump carberators is why it works on gassers.
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use a YS 4-stroke engine and the pump issue will go away
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Use a Cline reg and put the fuel tanks in the tail if you like. It would add about 1 ounce of weight to the plane. The Cline works great with 2 strokes but you need to tap into the back plate to get crank case pressure (usually very easy). The reg must be within 1 inch of the carb barrel, it doesn't matter about the mixture needle. Three lines work great, carb, fill and pressure relief.

Carl
Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 AM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

some say it's not worth the trouble....I may even be one of them.

But go for it anyway! Who says the plane has to even fly when you're done?? You will have done something very different and probably pretty cool. Go for it...there's much more to the hobby than just building a plane that flies well.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:25 PM
spad

I'm right with jmiracle on this - it's guys like you experimenting with the out-of-the-ordinary that keeps the sport/hobby alive and interesting. Whether it works or not is in many ways less important than having a go.
On that score, please let uis know how it goes[8D]

cheers
Rick
Old 06-28-2006, 05:29 PM
chris_in_montreal
My Feedback: (1)

Thats quite a bit of extra weight out in the wing which would put extra stress on the structure especially in an aerobatic model. Would be an interesting project for sure
Old 07-01-2006, 06:52 PM
S3eker

Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on balancing them on the CG line in the wing. I'm still researching the pressure distance in relation to types of motor. On my current kit build, I was thinking of adding the tanks in before I cover that area up. Another concern is making sure you draw fuel from both tanks at the same time or else you will be out of balance. Anyway, I'm having fun figuring it out.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

All I can say is Keep It Simple. But if you are going to go through the trouble of doing it I would use a cline regulator running a T to the pressure on the tanks and then a T from the pickup/clunk line to the carbuerator.