Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

ugly duck-mudduck-agriduck

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

ugly duck-mudduck-agriduck

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:37 PM
cochinito77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ugly duck-mudduck-agriduck

well guys i ran into this one but have you guys ever had a plane like this? or something similar but made from a sturdier material then foam board?
im looking for that unusual plane look.
thanks-Raf
Old 07-16-2006, 05:37 PM
MarkInDixie

Default RE: ugly duck-mudduck-agriduck

Raf,
I've not had one, but a buddy of mine when I lived southern Georgia did. If I remember correctly, his was built up, not foam. It was an unusual aircraft for sure (it was ugly, in my opinion). It flew like a pig with wings, probably because it had so much drag, and it was probably was underpowered, although its owner swore up and down the engine was what the plans called for. All I remember of it is how it lumbered along in the air and then when landing, it would just pancake down onto the ground and bounce like a beach ball. Halarious! I think I'll build one!

Here's a link to a site that sells the plans. [link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans92.asp]AMA Plans Listing[/link] Take care!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87886.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	492273  
Old 07-16-2006, 06:02 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

A friend of mine has one. Flies great with a Super Tigre .90 on the front. Glides like a brick, but *slowly*. The artboard seems to hold up just fine.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:13 PM
cochinito77

thanks mark but do you know what sizer that one would be? hey john what wingspan and materials is your friends' is it gregs mud-duck the one made from foam board? see im looking for that next unusual plane to build and fly that goes fast and lands slow... and by fast i dont want world records but like tigerstick fast. ya know? do you guys know of any ugly ducklings outthere?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 AM
AlphaWhisky

I had one of the little ones until recently. Funny story this. I`m not sure how it started, but about five years ago or more I got to discuss Mud Ducks with Al Stein, late of RCU. He undertook to send me the details ex the 'Model Aviation' article.

Al tried to email a scan from the AMA magazine to me, and such were my computer skills then - not much better now either - I couldn`t download the pages involved. I got around the immediate problem by taping a piece of tracing paper onto the monitor and freehand sketched the details. Such was Al`s scan, and the AMA drawing, that dimensions were real scarce and the two pages seemed to be drawn to different scales.

From there I drew my own drawings and built a prototype which was powered with an old OS 25 2 stroke. It was a real ugly duckling, but a great performer. Only three functions but it flew great and could readily maintain inverted flight, perform outside loops, Cuban Eights etc. Several of my mates built them - there were weird 'ducks everywhere.

Just a few weeks ago mine, all of 5 years old , was involved in a middair - you guessed it - with another 'duck. The other model exploded into a million bits and mine flew on scarcely damaged at all. I felt sorry for Mike, he`s not the world`s most prolific builder, and later donated my bare airframe to him. It`s still flying up a storm - he was flying it yesterday......

Contrary to comment above, all the ones I have seen flew great - not a pig at all. They were quite fast for a .25 powered sport model, but easy to fly accurately - mine got to survive flying through the soccer goal at the local park on more than one occasion of goaded-on silliness.

Unfortuntely I can`t find a decent picture of same in my library right now, but could snap one sometime if required.

I still have my plan somewhere and have threatened to build another sometime when the building bench is clear.

I`m sorry I`ve lost touch with Al Stein too.....

Alan W
Old 07-17-2006, 08:38 AM
cochinito77

now idf the stick one is good i might just think about getting me one of those.... hmmmm, blow it up a little and starp a er to it, i can see it...
Old 07-17-2006, 05:44 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

My friend's Mud Duck is large. I can't ask him right now, but it would be in the region of 6-8 foot span. Made mostly of foam board, bits of hardwood and some balsa, the wheels are made up from ply and wheelbarrow inner tubes for tyres, bungie sprung undercart. Elevator and rudder servos (standard size) mounted in the tail, wing is in two pieces with struts. It's a work of art

ORIGINAL: cochinito77

thanks mark but do you know what sizer that one would be? hey john what wingspan and materials is your friends' is it gregs mud-duck the one made from foam board? see im looking for that next unusual plane to build and fly that goes fast and lands slow... and by fast i dont want world records but like tigerstick fast. ya know? do you guys know of any ugly ducklings outthere?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:38 PM
cochinito77

hehe he well shrink it down a bit then haha i guess ill have to get the AMA type of stick built plns then.
thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 11:22 PM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

I'v built a "fleet" of the Ducks--mostly from the AMA plans. I think the plan # is 730 or #731 they build easy and quick. I have had the great big foamboard duck and it was a hoot to fly. Almost took a 12 ga shotgun to get it to quit flying Flew great with a KB65 Tires/wheelburrow innertubes kept getting goathead stickers and going flat, so we just kept adding patches---added character!

Name:	Om34482.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	493073  
Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 AM
cochinito77

i would love the shape of the mudducky but i dont know about the foam board is all..
Old 07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Al Stein

Hello all -- and especially Alan -- how are ya mate?!

The Mud Duck's been one of my favorites for a long time: it's just a wonderful floater that can do amazing things without ever going fast. The "design" is by Tom Chipley whose illustrations and cartoons many of you would know from Model Aviation (think Ace and Spinner). It was originally the combination of a wing he had left over from something else and a fuselage that I think he designed on the fly to go with it... it was a 60" span built-up plane, very light weight and with more personality per square inch than anything else you can name. This is my copy... if it shows up (otherwise can somebody remind me how we get pictures into a post?). I made windows in mine and added Rugrat Angelica as pilot.

The foam board works fine -- especially on a big plane with lots of lift like the Giant Mud Duck -- I think it would make the original 60" Duck much heavier than how it was originally designed, but it might be fine as well.

In the AMA members onlyarea one can download a scan of the original plans (You'll find it in the May 1992 MA). Most of the scanned plans there are a little rough -- fine detail didn't scan well -- but the Mud Duck plan has no fine detail so you should be able to get as good a plan from the web as what you'd buy from the plan service. (See fuselage plan below -- taken from the AMA site.)

It's a really fun little airplane. I highly recommend it.

Name:	Ki20620.gif
Views:	189
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	493664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81435.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	493665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65631.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	493666  
Old 07-19-2006, 04:13 PM
cochinito77

And thats why i love this RC website and this hobby! its great that the people are about some sharing to help us little guys out.
thanks Big AL !
Old 07-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Al Stein

My pleasure for sure!

I just noticed that you hale from McChord -- C-17 kind of place, right? Back in my active duty days I was real involved with making the C-17 work. I've only seen one in the air once... and it was right in front of my house (the picture is my front yard.) It's great to know that something came of the effort. Don'cha just love airplanes!

Name:	Zx71491.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	493726  
Old 07-19-2006, 04:57 PM
cochinito77

Al yeah i noticed you had the AIM HIGH deal there, i see you have one of our greentails there in your picture! good job on the plan dealy its enough for me to wing it i think... the archived pictures didnt come up until i select print in the AMA website but i guess it wil work itself out later...
what do you fly now? the ducky
Old 10-15-2006, 11:43 AM
hifly2104
My Feedback: (7)

Hi interested in building a mud duck I noticed someone (Al Stein) has a set of plans from AMA.Was wondering if he could email me them as he received them from AMA PDF file I believe.I can't download from that AMA site as I am in Canada and not a member .So guy on ebay is selling these plans at $20 plus $15. shipping which I think is high.Even if I could get a copy of the wing and the one you show on here with some quick measurements I think I could even Wing it from that.Thanks Mike
Old 10-15-2006, 12:10 PM
cochinito77

the ama one is a stick built the one from mud duck aviation is a foam board one, althogh bigger maybe not better, i dont know. i cant seem to get foamboard big enough to buildone.
Raf
Old 10-15-2006, 12:35 PM
hifly2104

Hi interested in building a mud duck I noticed someone (Al Stein) has a set of plans from AMA.Was wondering if he could email me them as he received them from AMA PDF file I believe.I can't download from that AMA site as I am in Canada and not a member .So guy on ebay is selling these plans at $20 plus $15. shipping which I think is high.Even if I could get a copy of the wing and the one you show on here with some quick measurements I think I could even Wing it from that.Thanks Mike
Old 10-15-2006, 02:12 PM
hifly2104

Foamcore I sourced it out on google Found quite a few places selling it but usually in larger quantities but it was in the size recommended by M. D .A..Best thing would be to find some other people wanting to make one and split the load amongst them Have you check out local SIGN shops guy in town heresays he doesn't stock it but could get it for me also could get coroplast in 4 mil and 2 mil for making SPADS
Old 03-10-2007, 12:59 AM
JUSTFLY2666
My Feedback: (2)

HEY MUDDUCK FANS I HAVE 3 DUCKS AN AG DUCK ITS LOW WING MADE OUT OF FOAM BOARD AND 2 GIANT DUCKS ONE IS 4 MIL CORROPLAST ABOUT SAME WEIGHT AND 10 TIMES AS TOUGH THE PLANES CALL FOR A 70 2 STROKE ONE HAS A 90 ST. AND THE CORROPLAST ONE HAS A 120 OS 4 STROKE. THE AG DUCK HAS A91 FOUR STROKE.POWER ON ALL OF THEM IS NO PROBLEM. TAKE OFF ROLL ON THE CORROPLAST PLANE IS ABOUT 25 FEET IN ACALM WIND. WING SPAN ON ALL OF THEM IS 9 FEET. FOR MORE INFO PLANES AND PICS. GO TO WWW.MUDDUCKAVIATION.COM AND THEY CAN HELP YOU. SEE YA IN THE SKY. P.S. JUSTFLY
Old 03-10-2007, 06:04 AM
cochinito77

how much the website still isint updated?
Raf
Old 03-10-2007, 04:29 PM
JUSTFLY2666
My Feedback: (2)

HE E-MAILED ME YESTERDAY THEY WILL NOT HAVE KITS OR SHORT KITS ANY TIME SOON BUT HE HAS PLANS AND PATTERNS NOW. LOOKS LIKE 45$ FOR PLANS AND PATTERN PLUS SHIPPING. JUSTFLY!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Dsegal

You can order a photocopy of the construction article which has the plan (in pieces) from the AMA Librarian at http://www.modelaircraft.org/

You do not have to be a member to do this.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Dsegal

The AMA plan number is 714.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
hifly2104

Just to let everyone know there are two different types of Mud duck. First the original which is the design from the AMA plan source The second is from the web sight previously listed of Mud duck Aviation . These are built from coroplast or foam board and are very large. The only thing they really do have in common other than similarity in shape is .Yes same guy designed them
Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Al Stein

Just to let everyone know there are two different types of Mud duck. First the original which is the design from the AMA plan source The second is from the web sight previously listed of Mud duck Aviation . These are built from coroplast or foam board and are very large. The only thing they really do have in common other than similarity in shape is .Yes same guy designed them
To give you some more detail, the BIGGEST thing they have in common is the shape -- but that IS most of what makes an airplane what is. Both the AMA-published balsa Duck and the foam-core giant kit duck look like a duck and fly like a duck... but the plans are very much NOT interchangeable.

The construction methods and the size are what's worlds apart. So you can't build the foamcore type from the built-up type plans or vice versa (Other than by designing all of the material specific details yourself -- but that's not really building from the plans... that's designing.) And you can't build a Giant Duck from the built-up plans... they're designed very light and would need the structure revisited to be able to be built big (which is designing again.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.