Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Best Chipmunk?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best Chipmunk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 09:29 PM
flap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Chipmunk?

Anyone here have opinions regarding Chipmunk kits?
Ive only found a limited amount of information, one from Goldberg available through Omnimodels with a 64" w/s for $149.99.
Another available from Dynaflite which I have no information on yet.
There are 2 for sale on RCU, both Goldberg, ones $150 plus shipping and the other is asking $190, I havnt received any response from the sellers to find out exactly what models they are or how old.
I want to build one after I finish a 1/4 scale Im in the middle of now, but, Im not sure whats available??
Thanks for any help.
Roger
Old 12-31-2002, 09:53 PM
Bruiser-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Chipmunks

I have a Goldberg Chipmunk that I built. It has not flown yet, but everyone that has one seems to like it very much. As far as the building goes, everything fit pretty good. You do need to replace the plywood landing gear mounts they give you and reinforce the gear area some, but that seem to be the only structurally weak area. I modified mine to use two aileron servo instead of just one, but only one will do. It's just servos are so cheap now (yes, standard servos are fine) why go thru all that bellcrank bull...

I also have a DynaFlite Chipmunk that I am almost ready to start building. The construction doesn't seem too intense, but I have only read thru the book several times so far. I have read two reviews (RCM and RC Reports) on it and it seems to be very stable like a trainer. I am going to modify mine into a Super Chipmunk and I am hoping some of the stability will go away.

I guess it comes down to personal preference--what size plane you want and how do you want it to fly? CGM is smaller and very aerobactic while the DynaFlite is larger and kinda stable...

Again, my insight on how they fly is only based on what people have told me and what I have read.

Oh, $150 was about the selling price on CGM kits that had the SPectra Glass cowl and wheel pants. THe kits that had ABS were cheaper...

Hope this helps,
-Bob George
Old 12-31-2002, 09:57 PM
flap

Default Best Chipmunk?

Thanks Bob, I want at least a 60 size. What sizes are available??
Old 12-31-2002, 10:00 PM
flap

Default Best Chipmunk?

By the way, whats the difference between Chipmunk and Super Chipmunk?
Old 01-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Daren Savage
My Feedback: (6)

Default Best Chipmunk?

Originally posted by flap
By the way, whats the difference between Chipmunk and Super Chipmunk?
The main difference in the full size was the engine (260 hp. Lycoming vs. the 180 hp. Ranger) and the Super had clipped wings (two rib bays off each wingtip as I recall).

Years ago I built a CG Chipmunk. Great flyer. I've flown several which were built by different people and they all flew very well; hence the reason I built mine.

If you're expecting it to perform like an Extra or Giles, stop right here, it won't. It will perform the same manuevers, but not with the same ease on the sticks.

I have a Dynaflite Chipmunk which I'm planning on building stock. If it flies as well as their PT-19, it will be a very relaxing model to fly.

Daren
Old 01-01-2003, 04:09 AM
Live Wire

Default Best Chipmunk?

CG Chipmunk Have two of them great fliers will do everthing that the Caps and EXTRAS will but more scale . Easy to fly on 91FS .
Be sure to beef up landing gear.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:24 PM
TheoA

Default landing gear questions

everyone says to "beef" up the gear mounts. No one elaborates as to how. Will a few layers of glass of kevlar expoxied to the ribs, skin, spar suffice?

Some other ideas as to how

(I ask because I'm at this part building my CGB chipmunk)
Old 01-08-2003, 02:43 AM
Bruiser-RCU

Default LG Beef Up

Theo A,

Here is what I did. First thing was the mount. Mine was made of lite ply. I replaced that with a pre-made hardwood mount from my local LHS. Next I glued an additional doubler to rib 4. I also used some triangle stock to reinforce where the hardwood mount glues to the rib, like when you reinforce the firewall.

Hope this helps,
-Bob George
Old 01-13-2003, 01:42 AM
TheoA

Default doh

well darn. I have already glued in place the blocks (supplied) for landing gear. I used triangle stock to surround the landing gear vertical block, as well as triangle stock on #3, #4, and #5 ribs.
I then took some 3.0 ounce glass, and CA'd it in place in that rib "bay" where the gear mounts, glueing it to the sheer web, bottom sheeting, actual gear mount, and the vertical mount as well.

do you think this will work ok?
Old 01-13-2003, 02:25 AM
Bruiser-RCU

Default Sounds Good

That sounds like it should work. The extra triangle stock really helps and the 'glass should help a lot too.

-Bob George
Old 01-13-2003, 03:18 AM
TheoA

Default thanks

Thanks Bob. I hope it will work well. I don't normally have big bouncy landings, but hey, you never know right.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:56 AM
ercoupeflyr

Default Best Chipmunk?

I built a CG Chipmunk a few years ago. Powered it with an OS91FS. It flew fine. It is not a very scale model and the gear mounting in the wings was not tolerable of a bad landing.

I recently finished a Dynaflight Chipmunk. I modified the plans to make it scale. I created wing fairings which greatly improved the looks. I also converted it to plug in wings as a 89" wing is alot to carry. I put an OS120SF in it for power. It is glassed where the real plane is metal and cloth and doped where the real one is fabric. Also added rib stiching and rivet details. I am real pleased with the results but have not yet flown it. All the flight tests I have read indicate they fly very nicely. Will see in the spring. A picture (poor quality) is posted in the photo gallery.

Another possible choice is the Jack Stafford 59" Chipmunk. Jack Stafford kits went out of business this past year but there are certainly some still around.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:50 PM
mobius88

Default dynaflite chipmunk plug in wings

you mentioned that you thought the 89" dynaflite wing was a lot to handle, i totally agree.

i wonder if you would spell out in some more detail how you are going to make it a plug-in wing?

i would like to do this also but this will be the largest model i have built to date and i have no experience building plug-in wings.

thanks!
Old 02-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Live Wire

Default Best Chipmunk?

Gold Berg Is the best, Will not grow when you plant it , But flies like a bird. Like the gound as much as it likes the air . Rekits fast ? LOVE IT
Old 02-05-2003, 01:24 AM
ercoupeflyr

Default Best Chipmunk?

The plug in wing modification was not difficult, but; required a lot more thought and planning that I imagined at the beginning. My criteria was that the center section of the wing remain attached to the fuselage and the whole thing remain on wheels for ease of handling. I also wanted functional flaps. The problem I faced was that the break point in the wing would be in the center of the flap. To accomplish this I modified the plan to seperate the wing at the first rib outside the landing gear block and leave enough trailing edge to allow the flap to be attached to the removable (outer) portion of the wing. I boxed in the top and bottom main spars and created a plug-in in the center section. The outer sections had 3/8 x 1 1/4 plywood gled in the box section as the plug-ins. Two locating dowels were used to align the wing. The ribs at the joint were cut from 1/8 aircraft ply. I will post a couple pictures of the conversion in the photo gallery.