Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Airsail Chipmunk build. Need advice.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Airsail Chipmunk build. Need advice.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Norm Nestie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airsail Chipmunk build. Need advice.

Hi all, hoping someone out there has built this kit. I just received one and am pretty excited. Looks like a good kit but pretty different construction from I've faced with Sig, Great Planes type kits. Are there any issues that I should be aware of or any tips on how to make it better? Haven't decided on a motor yet but am thinking of a Saito .72 or an OS 60 size 2 C. ?? Any advice would be welcome.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:09 PM
RVM

Default RE: Airsail Chipmunk build. Need advice.

That's a good looking plane and that should be more than enough power. In fact, from reading the thread on it, I would tell you to use a smaller motor.

Check this thread out for some information.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Norm Nestie

Thanks, RVM, now i'm really excited, just hope I can figure out these plans. Instruction book is a tad short on detail. Norm
Old 07-20-2006, 05:33 PM
RVM

No problem. Good luck and be sure to post some pictures of your build! I really like what I've seen on that kit and I might considering putting one together in the future.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
SaviCatses

I built this model 3 years ago now (it was a my second airplane). It is a really great kit, and flies extremely well. I used to fly it using a 46FX, which was enough power, and enough for mild aerobatics.

I stopped flying it since the engine and electronics are now in a new plane, but I just ordered a new fiberglass cowl 'cause I miss flying it (the plastic one was damaged).

If it helps, I still have a website up where I detailed most of the construction with lots of pictures.

[link=http://pages.videotron.com/catses/stephane/]http://pages.videotron.com/catses/stephane/[/link]

Note, I never actually finished adding comments to this webpage, but all the pictures are up.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:19 PM
RVM

How thick are the stabs on that plane? I might modify a kit I'm building now to go from flat stabs to airfoiled stabs.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:35 PM
SaviCatses

It's actually not quite possible to tell you that. The thing is, the horizontal stabilizer tapers in thickness from the base to the tip. Only thing I remember is that the sheeting is 1.5mm thick (about 1/16", the kit is Metric). I can try to measure the thickness at the base and at the tip when I get home, but I'm not sure how accurate it will be.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
RVM

I meant thickness at its thickest point.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 PM
SaviCatses

I measured the tip of the horizontal stabilizer at just a little under 1/2" thick; the root of the horizontal stabilizer (where the stab connects to the fuselage) is about 3/4" thick. I remember that the "ribs" of the stab (and vertical stab as well) were rather tricky to do. They are not tradictional ribs; they are rectangular pieces which are glued into place and then sanded/carved to an airfoil shape - with a taper! A good sanding block is a must, and a razor plane certainly helps. Do not put too strong a side-force or the ribs shatter (I had to re-glue a few of them as I sanded).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93581.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	494877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99684.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	494878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44778.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	494879  
Old 07-22-2006, 02:21 AM
RVM

Wow that's a pretty thick cross-section for those stabs. Or at least, it seems to be to me.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:03 PM
SaviCatses

The Airsail Chipmunk is actually pretty big, 69" wingspan. Mine came out at 8.5 lbs. As for the stab thickness, it sounds bigger than it looks, that thickness is at the thickess point of the airfoil.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:26 PM
RVM

Oh for some reason I was thinking it had a 42" wingspan. lol
Old 08-10-2006, 06:41 AM
mehere

The Saito would haul this around nicely. I built mine several years back and it performs well with the Saito 65 I fitted.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Norm Nestie

Stephane, many, mnay thanks for the awesome site. This is going to be a great help to me in building this beautiful aircraft. The pics are great and it looks like you did an outstanding job.Norm BC, Canada
Old 08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Norm Nestie

Hi Stephane, I hope you are ok with me contacting you. If not , just let me know. Thanks for the terrific Chipmunk build web site. I've built a few planes but nothing quite as involved as this one. Like you, I'm intrigued with this plane and am looking forward to building it. Your web site is going to be a big help and I've already gone over every pic many times. I have the [plans in my office and go over them frerquently. I'm stating to slowly understand some of the building issues.Would you mind if I asked you a question from time to time? Thanks again, Stephane and I hope you're still flying and enjoying the Chipmunk. Norm Gabriola Island, B.C.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:14 PM
SaviCatses

Norm,

Sorry I didn't see your posts. It's been a while since I built the Chipmunk and from the pictures you probably have already figured out I did make some modifications (ie. I completely sheeted the entire airframe for fiberglass).

I don't mind you sending me some questions, I'll try to answer as best I can; the Chipmunk is tricky to build but if you take your time you'll have no problems. The instructions with the kit are quite good, and so are the plans.

I'll send you a PM with my email address.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 AM
baldrick

The skimpy instructions are normal for Airsail kits. I'm doing the Beaver and some of the parts have alot to be desired.