Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

scale detail info needed

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

scale detail info needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default scale detail info needed

HEy everyone, im a 15 year buildier and im fixing to build my 1st glass aircraft. I have 2 combat model pusher jets that are foam. You glass the entire jet and im wondering how to make the panel lines come out. I have heard about taking a pencil and marking them then putting a clear coat over to protect them. So if anyone ahs any technics or pics to show me how to do this I would really app it. Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 AM
pjwright

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: scale detail info needed

The Dave Platt method that's been used successfully by many modelers is to mark your panel lines with a thin Sharpie pen, and then apply very thin "ChartPak" drafting tape (.020") to the butt-joint panel locations after your "grey coat" is down...then apply 3 to 5 coats of finish color over the taped panel lines. Remove the tape before the final coat is 100% dry...then lightly sand and clean the seam when dry. You're left with an indented panel seam that will present a nice scale appearance when you paint the entire model. The seam can be further enhanced with weathering techniques if you choose.
This is found on the "Detailing & Painting Techniques, Vol 1" tape/DVD. I strongly recommend Dave's "Black Art" series for anyone getting into scale modeling:
[link=http://www.daveplattmodels.com/]Dave Platt Models[/link]
pjw