Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My TF Contender Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My TF Contender Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:51 AM
flmlm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My TF Contender Build

Jim ,

You've come a long way. Keep on going your Contender is looking great!

Regards
Mike
Old 08-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks, Chris.

Some things go fast with the covering and other things seem to take forever. This morning I was covering the bottom fin in Black. I had to rip it off twice. I tried covering it in one piece the first two times, but finally gave up and covered in two pieces. One piece is so hard to do and not get bubbles in it.

I am landing my Hangar 9 Alpha 60, now. Still on the buddy box, but I am becoming more and more confident. My
instructor says I am about ready to solo. I think it may happen this next weekend. It feels so good, it has been a
long road.

I know ab out "honey-do's" because I am fixing to have to "get after it." My wife has been very understanding. The
past 4 weekends I have been flying on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I am gone from about 2 PM until
sometimes 8 PM. I did mow the yard this Saturday morning. We have had no rain, so I have been lucky.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:08 PM
mduslick
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, unfortunately, I have not had the time to get back out to our field, but hopefully I will this weekend... I'm kepping my fingers crossed.

Looking great Safebet!!! I like the idea of your removable scoop... that would have helped me tremendously when I was covering mine. As for the decals, I used Ultracote, and didn't have any problems applying the decals... just used soapy water and they went on like a charm.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:32 PM
dogtoes

Soapy water hmmm? So just a little dishwashing soap in a water solution, then squeegee (sp?) the excess out? Any pitfalls there to watch for?

I "think" mine will also have the removable scoop option with a touch of fiberglass for reinforcement. I'll get there..."soon".

thanks,

-Chris
Old 08-28-2006, 07:26 PM
mduslick

not really... just make make sure you use plenty of the solution to help with moving the decal around because as soon as the soapy water begins to run off, the decal wants to stick to the covering like crazy after it's wet.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Safebet

Hi Guys:

I used just regular Windex and it worked beautifully on applying decals to UltraKote.

I had to make the cowling removable and the front pcs. behind the spinner removable because the .61 is so
large I would not be able to get the engine out if I glued everything. So, I can drop the scoop and remove the front
and pull the engine out thru the front. The sides remain permanently fastened.

I will post more covering pictures as I go along. It is fun and I am getting close to finishing. I can see daylinght now.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Safebet

Good Morning!

Got a little done this morning before having to get ready for work.

The bottom is basically covered. I just like the fuel tank hatch (which screws on) and the bottom will be complete.

Won't get to work on it tomorrow, got work in the shop to do. Looking forward to beginning the top of the fuse
which will be yellow. I added a little decorative strip (yellow) to the black bottom fin. I want it to look unique.

You guys that have yours finished are sure stingy with the flight reports. Hope you haven't "met the dirt" with them. LOL

Later
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89970.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	515334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18888.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	515335  
Old 09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
mduslick

Round 2

After installing the new engine and prop, I battled with trying to get the plane balanced. My goal was not to add any additional weight and in order to do so, it would mean that the battery and receiver would have to sit right next to each other right behind the firewall, and there just wasn’t enough space once everything was wrapped in foam. Then it hit me… since my canopy s tinted really dark and I had plenty of space in the cockpit, why not put the battery pack there? So I glued some Velcro straps with epoxy, ran the wire down through the desk, and I was in business. I put the wing back on, sat the plane on the balancer, and it balanced perfectly… no need for any lead weight. I charged all batteries, put tie wraps on the servo wires to get things nice and neat, packed up my field box, and it was time to go flying.

I got to our field around 7:00 PM, and there were still a few of my club members still there…it had been a long time since I’ve been there, so it was good to see my buddies. I went over the Contender to make sure all screws were tight, servo connections secure, etc., attempted to fuel up, then something strange happened. The tank had been drained (because I pulled the tank earlier and put in new lines), but as soon as I hit the button to activate my pump, fuel sputtered then dribbled out the vent line. I’m using a Hayes tank, and I know the bottom fuel line through the firewall goes to the middle connection in the tank, which is connected to the clunk. The top fuel line through the firewall goes to the top nipple of the tank, which is the vent line. I knew I didn’t have the lines reversed, but just to be make absolutely sure, I put the probe in the vent line, hit the switch, but this time, fuel immediately shot out the other line in a thick, forceful stream which confirmed that I didn’t have things reversed. After sitting there scratching my head for a moment, I put the probe back in the fill hose but this time crimped the vent hose by folding it in half and holding it there. When I activated the pump, it seemed to fill okay, then after awhile I saw fuel trying to come out the vent line. I released it and air rushed out, but after that, I couldn’t get much more fuel in the tank. I know, I know… this isn’t a good thing to do because I was pressurizing the tank a lot, and I could eventually rupture it, but I was too stubborn to get this far without at least “one†flight.

With starter in hand, I hit the switch and that beautiful OS sang to life. Don’t you just love the smell of exhaust fumes? I unhooked the tether, walked the plane from the pits to the runway, announced my intentions, and slowly advanced the throttle. Unlike my previous attempts, the Contender shot forward and that great engine/prop combo had no trouble pulling the plane across our grass runway and getting up to flying speed. The wind was perfectly still and after rolling about 1/3 of the length of the runway, I gave it a bit of up elevator and up she went. I banked to the left, continued to climb, then backed off to half throttle. I made a couple of passes over the runway, and after getting used to the way it handled with the new power plant, it was time to “kick it up a notchâ€. I advanced to full throttle, took a deep breath, then gave full up elevator. I was “shocked†at what happened next because I wasn’t expecting it. That beautiful plane did the tightest loop I have ever seen! I didn’t even have time to throttle back on the down portion of the loop because it happened so fast… the thrill I got was amazing, and yes, I was flying on high rates at the moment. I throttled back, came back across the runway from left to right, made another left bank, then advanced to about ¾ throttle. This time, I did a half roll, and kept her inverted, and flew that way for awhile. I tell you… no engine sputter (man, I love that OS), and it flew just as easy inverted as it did right-side-up. I banked to the left, lined up over the runway, did another ½ roll to come out of inverted flight, chopped the throttle, then lowered the flap. Even with no wind, she slowed down to a crawl and showed no signs of stalling… the upswept wingtips apparently do their job flawlessly. I came around again, and with the flap lowered, did a touch and go. I can not tell you how sweet this bird touches down. At idle, she settles nicely and almost immediately after the mains touch down, the nose wheel touches down too, and there was ZERO bounce!!! I raised the flap, hit full throttle and she effortlessly climbed back out. I did a few more passes, and came back in for a landing with the same smooth touch down.

I taxied back to the pit area, gassed up again, and was soon yelling “taking off, left to rightâ€! After getting airborne again, I did some more loops, Immelmans, and inverted flight then out of curiosity, I went into level flight and at ½ throttle I took my thumbs off both sticks… now what do you think happened? Other than me flashing a huge goofy grin, absolutely nothing!!! She tracked smooth and straight as if I were still controlling it with no hint of either wing dipping, nor did it want to climb or dive. Then I switched to low rates and did a few more maneuvers… it seemed to fly a lot closer to the way Realflight simulates it. By this time, the sun was going down, and I was having a hard time seeing, so I lined up one last time, chopped the throttle, watched her glide in, and that was the end of my joyous day at the field. Now I just have to pull the tank and figure out what I have done wrong there. My next time out, I plan to do some more experimentation with the flaps. I LOVE THIS PLANE!!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Safebet

mdslick:

Thanks for that exciting flight review. Please, fill us in on the next flights. How much flaps (degrees) are you using and did you program in
some down elevator to compensate, or just do it by hand? Keep us informed.....Remind me, which engine are you using. Does it pull well
verticle?

I have finished the bottom and sides of the fuselage. I just have to top to cover, and the upper portion of the cowl to the spinner ring, and I'm finished
covering except for some trim I want to do. Mount gears, 1 servo, and control rods and I'm ready for engine break in. I balance it laterally, already.

Will send pics soon.

Take Care
Old 09-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Safebet

Hi mdslick:

Just a couple of pics. I have finished the fuselage. The covering chore is over. Just going to add some
decals and maybe a couple of trim pcs. on fuselage and horizontal stabilizer and elevators.

I am going to dye the canopy dark gray or black. Hope for dark gray, but if it comes out black, ok.

Name:	Om33258.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	518847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76193.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	518848  
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
emspilot

Nice to see that one of my all time favorite airplanes is regaining popularity. I've been flying Contenders since the early 70's. In those days, the flying field was loaded with them. I just built one of the new kits back in March and hung a Super Tigre G90 on it. Came in a bit nose heavy, but no more than it would with a .60, because they weigh the same. Vertical rocket!!!

I'll have to get my digital camera fixed and hang a few shots. Turned out to be one of the niceset covering jobs I've ever done, and it's an original 3 color scheme, sporting a Cincinnati Reds theme.

Enjoy those Contenders, and take pride in the fact that you are flying something that you built from a box of wood. No ARF can give you that kind of satisfaction, especially when the ARF you're flying is one of 3 on the field that day.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Safebet

Hi emspilot: Glad to hear from someone who has some experience with the "Contender."

Did you build the optional wing tips? I wish you would share your setup expereince with us. What about the flaps, how much did you use (%) and did
you program in down elevator with the flaps or just fly it by the "seat of your pants?"

How did the plane handle, do you use dual rates? Give us the poop.

Thank You for posting.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Safebet

Hi Fellow Contender owners:

Just a couple of pics to show off my Contender. I have completed adding the decals and I decorated a little with the
black and red on the side. It was tough cutting that thin black design out and even harder ironing it on. The red
inside was easy.

I am ready to install the main gear, install the wing, center the servos and begin hooking up the control surfaces.

It is getting closer. I would like to have my instructor maiden it this weekend, but don't think I will
be able to make it. I am going to run a couple of tanks thru it before it's maiden.

mdslick and emspilot, what size engines are you running. I know yours is an OS, mdslick because of your flight review, but what size.
I will be running a OS .61 FX. I am anxious to see how it does vertically.

Keep the flight reports coming. I enjoy them very much. Makes my heart beat faster.

Name:	Vt57071.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	519929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59164.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	519930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61662.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	519931  
Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 PM
mduslick

I'm running an OS .46 AX with an APC 11x6. You wanna know what really gives me goose bumps? Taking the downwind leg at a pretty high altitude at 1/2 throttle, slowly advancing to full on the base leg, then leveling off at about 10-15' as she comes screaming down the runway. The sound is SO awesome as it streaks by!!!!! I will admit that with this engine, I can't do unlimited verticals, but for for I have plenty of power. Monday, I spent most of the day experimenting with the flap. As for deflection, I have it set at about 1-3/4" max, but I don't know what angle that is off hand. And I don't have anything mixed or programed. What I have found is, it takes off MUCH better with the flap. When it's up, it takes me about 200' (give or take) on roll out, but with the flap all the way down, I can take off in half that distance. Also, when the flap is up, the ailerons are "really" sensitive, and mine can be a bit twitchy once you break ground, but with the flap all the way down it is rock solid.

When airborne, I was almost able to get it to stay suspended with a head wind of about 2-3 MPH with the flap down, WITH NO HINT OF STALL!!!! Trully amazing plane! And landing was similar... flap up, she likes to come in hot... flap down... I thought I was flying my Sig Kadet Senior...lol.

Safebet, I wish I could be there for your maiden... you are going to have SO much fun with this plane.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:25 PM
mduslick

Hi Jim! How's the project coming along?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Safebet

Hi mdslick:

Thanks for the flight report and the tips. I will maiden this weekend. I have to tint the canopy, tie the wires up inside the fuse and fill the tank to check for leaks.
I have mounted a 1700 Mah Nicad on the flap shelf on the bottom of the fuse with velcro. The receiver is mounted in the compartment right behind the gas tank. I am thinking with the OS .61 I am going to need some weight in the rear. I have all the control rods mounted and the servo's working.

I am curious, what size feul tank did you use and what kind of flying time are you getting? I ended up with a 10 oz. That should be good for about 10 -15 minutes,
I hope. My Evo .61 on my trainer has a 17 oz, I fly for about 15 minutes and still have 1/2 tank left. The Evo 61 is burning about 1/2 to 2/3 oz. per minute.

When I get everything mounted, I will post a finished set of pictures.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Safebet

mdslick: Question? What did you glue your canopy down with? I have purchased some Formula 501 canopy glue. It sure is thin, not like silicone.

Takes 3 hrs to set up enough to handle, 24 hours to cure completely. My problem is that with the thin nature of the glue, I am going to
have difficulty clamping the sides to the fuse while it cures. I dry ran with tape and that doesn't hold the canopy sufficiently to the sides,
and clamps are out.

I have considered using small screws, but I don't think that would look that good.

Suggestions!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 PM
flmlm

Safebet,

My last canopy was held down with 4 small screws and Formula 501. Once the glue dried over night I then covered the perimeter of the canopy including the screws with trim tape. Seemed to work well for me and it looked good.

Regards
Mike
Old 09-19-2006, 02:25 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine with 2-56 button head socket sheet metal screws from microfasteners.com. I first taped it down with trim tape then put the screws through the tape and canopy intofuselage. The button heads look great because they do not stick up very far, are much smaller and have a black finish to match the trim tape.

Been flying nearly 6 mounths without a problem.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Safebet

Fellow Contender Builders, Owners:

The day has come. It is finished. This is my first kit and my first covering job. It was difficult, but well
worth it. I learned so much and have so many of you to thank for your tips and suggestions.

I am a part of the corp., now. I hope to see it fly this weekend at our "Family Fun Fly-in." However,
they are predicting rain.

I am feeling very special right now. I haven't soloed, yet. That was probably to happen in the next
couple of weeks with a few more flights. I am still a little nervous when I get close to the runway
on final.

I will break-in the engine at the field, get some of the pros to check and help me adjust throws
and give it a thorough final inspection. Then the joy of seeing it fly. Wow!

Thanks again comrades. I appreciate your fellowship and support.

Name:	Nl29723.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	527440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90539.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	527441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45795.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	527442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79784.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	527443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pb35363.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	527444  
Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Safebet

Oops, the second picture (bottom of plane) is not my plane. I had this plane on file and clicked the wrong one.

This is tghe bottom of mine, although the other looks just as good.

Name:	Tr50265.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	527447  
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 AM
flmlm

Good job Jim,

The finished product looks outstanding!

Regards
Mike
Old 09-24-2006, 01:04 PM
mduslick

Hi Jim!

I know this is a bit after the fact, but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. I have a 8 oz tank and get flying times of about 15 minutes. I also used a bit of silicon for the canopy and servo mounting screws.

You say this is your first plane and first covering job? Man, you have some serious skills!!!! Your plane looks fantastic!!!! How did you tint your canopy?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Safebet

Hi mduslick:

It was a great day today. The "Contender" was maidened by two of my instructors. One assisted me
(he did most of the programming) set up the flaps/elevator takeoff and landing configuration. Use
the landing switch for landing (30 degrees flap with 3 degrees elevator) and a second switch for takeoff
(10 Degrees flap).

The first flight required 1 click right aileron and that's it. Charles said in inverted flight it required only a
touch of down elevator. It flew like an arrow. He really wring it out. Rolls, loops, tight loops and snap
rolls were beautiful. He did not use flaps on either takeoff or landing. No hint of stall, he said: "landed
like a trainer."

My second instructor, Eddie, flew it and keyed in the final landing configurations mentioned above. With
full flaps it will nearly hover. It was windy today, 10 - 15 with gusts. He headed it into the wind, pulled the
landing switch and she just nearly hovered.

I am very fortunate that I have two special instructors. Both are great people and great pilots.

The OS .61 ran without a hitch and it will fly. It is very fast at 1/2 throttle and on high rates it is a
acrobat for sure. Verticle is terrific and will improve even more as the engine breaks in. I am runninga
11 x 7 Master Screw.

I am one very happy builder. When I set it on the CG machine in my garage (set at 3 3/16) it balanced
perfectly. I had to move nothing. The receiver is velcro'd in front of the servos and the 1700 Mah
battery is velcro'd to the shelf that the flaps fold against. It just clears the notch for the control horn.

I dyed the canopy using 1 box black and 1/2 box royal blue Rit dye. I added a squirt of dish washing
liguid and a teaspoon of salt. I heated 1 gal of water to 160 degrees on the stove, poured it into a
plastic pan and submerged for about 20 - 25 minutes, checking about every 10 minutes.

I had intended for it to be smokey not the bronze color it turned out, but it looks ok and I got more
good comments about it than anything. Next time I will use only black and see what happens.

Well, I have got to get busy and solo. My instructors said I could "buddy box" on the Contender, but on low rates.

I think I will solo, first and get comfortable with basic manuevers and then "buddy box" on the Contender.

I am in no hurry to be a "sad" hero.

I am starting on a Great Plains AT-6 this week. I will build as I get time. It is about the same size as the
Contender. It calls for a .40 to .46 2-stroke or a O.S. FS-52 4 stroke. It will be interesting. It's a taildragger.
Haven't decided whether to use air retracts of just go with conventional gear.

Got any suggestions?

Sorry, this was so long, but I am so happy. Just like kid at the candy store. It gives me great pleasure to
see something I built fly so well in the hands of a good pilot. This plane certainly lives up to it's reputation.

In God We Trust

Name:	Pn35624.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	529762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73478.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	529763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59977.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	529764  
Old 09-28-2006, 09:49 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

wow! you guys did a fantastic covering job.I particularly liked the sidemounted idea.a great friend had one until yesterday .unfortunately two dumb thumbs ended it.but he modified his and I wish I had taken pics it was a beauty.I built a sig kougar after all this years and love it so much I decided I need to build another oldie but goodie and leave arf's behind for a while and thanks to you folks I am going after a tf contender.one thing though I know it was originally a 45 to 61 engine but after watching my friends fly with a os 52 four stroke thats the best match as far as I can see. thanks for the pics as they convinced me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.