Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How to Prepare for painting??

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How to Prepare for painting??

Old 01-02-2003, 07:40 AM
bruno-dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Prepare for painting??

I'm building a Aviomodelli Piper Arrow this winter. I love the plane but boy do the instructions suck!! Step 1- Build fuselage. Step 2- Build wings. Step 3- Attach/Insert wings, motor and radio. That's about all they tell me.

Have never dealt with a foam wing before but it is covered with a vinyl plastic. The wing trailing edges are balsa I had to cut and fit around the flaps and ailerons and while sanding it flat to match the wing contour I left small scratches in the vinyl. Any ideas on how to fill this in prior to painting? BTW, does it matter what kind of primer and paint I use on the vinyl? Balsa filler seems to stick ok to the vinyl but the scratches are so small I don't think it will work.

Thanks for any help!

Bruno-dude
Old 01-02-2003, 12:31 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Prepare for painting??

Bruno:I would use sand-able auto- primer, If you have a scrap of that material try it on it first. Use very lite coats & let it dry good between coats. Keep away from the foam!! Putty may soften plastic and has slow drying time, & it shrinks with time. Just don`t rush it! big max 1935