Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four Star 60 Wing

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four Star 60 Wing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 07:07 PM
rich m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Star 60 Wing

I am about to start building a Four Star 60 and was thinking of eliminating the dihedral in the wing. I think it would improve inverted flight. Are there any adverse effects from doing this that I should be aware of?Thanks , Rich M
Old 01-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent heard much on here about taking out the diheral on the 4 Star 60. But what is common that alot of guys are doing is clipping one rib bay of each side of the wing on the 4 Star 60 and 4 Star 40.They report great results and its a worth while mod. I just clipped my 4 Star 40 and I'm looking forward to trying it. Might be something to think about. Good Luck, JT
Old 01-03-2003, 12:46 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4-Star dihedral

Don't take the dihedral out. Cut off 1 rib from each side.

If you remove the dihedral, your plane will roll opposite to the rudder in 4-points and knife edge. The low wing location on the fuselage causes the plane to have adverse roll coupling. You need dihedral to counter this.

The plane is much more responsive in roll with each panel a rib short. With the stock wing it tends to be nearly trainer-like.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:13 AM
rich m

Thanks for the information, it is good to know. As well as clipping the wing I have also heard of adding an inch to the rudder to make the plane more responsive. Rich M
Old 01-04-2003, 05:34 AM
JetAwithPrist

If you do decide to take dihedral out, certainly dont take all of it out, due to the low wing placement.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Dennis DiBona

I have built 2, 4* 40 and on the second one I took the dihedral out. I actually did not want to take it all out but wound up with very little. and I also added more rudder.

PLANE FLEW LIKE CRAP.

and I have flown Hmm maybe 10 4* in both 60 and 40 size so I know the flight caricturistics well. I think the plane flys well as it was designed. If i was going to do any modifications ( the bay removal is fine) I would make the front of the wings a D tube construction. the wing on the 4* have a tendency to twist at high speed maneuvers. IS why Sig tells you to not use fabric only cover with film for the tinsel strength,

The DiBo
Old 01-05-2003, 01:28 PM
TerrellFlyer

Plane flies great as is.