Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hog Bipe Ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hog Bipe Ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:00 PM
chashint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hog Bipe Ailerons

I just opened the kit and have been reading the instructions.
My first thought was that I would use two servos in the center of the wing instead of one.
Now I have found the dual aileron mod kit package that puts a servo out in each wing.
I have modified every kit I have bult to have the aileron servos mounted out in the wing panels however I bought an Astro Hog second hand that has a single servo mounted in the center of the wing and it is the best flying plane I have. There is no evidence whatsoever that it needs two servos and the torque rod setup has not been a problem.
I do like to have servos on each aileron but I am still thinking about using the torque rod setup with two servos mounted in the center of the wing just so the plane will look cleaner.
Thoughts, comments, recommendations ??????
Old 07-29-2006, 11:11 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Hog Bipe Ailerons

Chas,
I've had 3 Hog Bipes, 1 without wing servos and 2 with. Trust me, go with the servos on the wings. The main reason you want to do this is because using the torque rods there is chance for flutter in the ailerons. This was the main reason why Sig modified the kit for wing mounted servos. You won't regret doing it this way.

Ken
Old 07-29-2006, 11:28 PM
chashint

Thanks Ken,
That is a very good reason to put the servos in the wing.
Also thanks for the help you gave me during the Slow Poke Sport 40 build.
After trying my 61 four stroke in it a few times I swapped it out for a 91 four stroke and I like the plane a lot more now.
Still trying to learn to appreciate it for its unique flying qualities but you have to give the Slow Pokes a 10 for looking good.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:27 AM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

I experienced aileron flutter (one side only thankfully) on my Hog Bipe with the single aileron servo. I tried metal clevises and heavier push rods to stop the flutter - didn't work. I finally had to cut into the wing and install two servos. My kit was one of the early ones before SIG started including parts for the two servo option. My Hog is still flying 8 years later! Nice flying plane by the way!

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 08-01-2006, 10:48 AM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

Jollidude,

Cleanliness shouldn't be a problem. If I remember correctly from when I built a Hog Bipe a few years ago the servos are mounted on their side with just an arm and pushrod coming out of it.

The difference would be the servo arm poking out because if you only had one servo and four ailerons there would still be pushrods and bellcranks and then theres that fun pushrod that goes from the bottom aileron to the top aileron.

If you put 2" square checkers on the bottom of the wings you can make the servo linkages pretty well hidden.

Chris

Old 08-04-2006, 12:34 AM
chashint

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.
I went ahead and started building the top wing and it is coming along nicely I have the top leading edge sheeting glued in place.
The engine for the plane arrived today :-)
I have paid more attention to the wing mounted aileron servos and as the post above describes, the servos are hidden in the wing.
After reading most of the posts in the forums on the Hog Bipe I will build it pretty much per plan, I will replace the aluminum landing gear with a Dubro or Goldberg nylon gear and mount it a little forward, other than that I don't think I will change anything.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:11 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend and I built the hogs over the winter and the only problem with the wing servos was when we epoxied the wood blocks on the panels they ended up coming off when breaking in the engines (THANK GOD not in the air) It happened on one side to both of us so we re-epoxied them and also added a screw to hold them in place and have not had a problem since.

Dauntae
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27530.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	501466