Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Piece 'o cake

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Piece 'o cake

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Brother_Dust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflite Piece 'o cake

I bought a dynaflite piece 'o cake and I am about to start building. I have built this kit before and put a COX Tee-Dee .049 on it but I didnt like not having throttle. I was wondering which throttled motor would you recommend. I am looking at either an O.S .10 LA or a norvel .061. thank you.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:42 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Dynaflite Piece 'o cake

If you can get a Norvel right now, snatch it up! Throttles well and plenty of power. BUT, (there's always one) the POC comes out really tail-heavy. Either modify it while building or get the heavier OS .10. A quick search in the 1/2a forum here will turn up several threads dedicated to the POC.

To answer your actual question, both engines are nice, but the Norvel has a much better power/weight ratio.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:21 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Dynaflite Piece 'o cake

ptulmer is right about the power/weight ratio of the Norvel, and also about the tail-heaviness of the POC. Mine balanced a lot better with an OS10FP than it did with a Thunder Tiger .07. However it certainly didn't need the power of the .10.

If you are just starting the build, see if you can get the servos in front of the CG, particularly if you are using larger servos. Also get the battery as far forward as possible. If you are up for it, maybe look at extending the nose an inch or so.

The POC flies nice, very sedate and easy to land.