Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Fomie ?????

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Fomie ?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:43 PM
guitardude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Fomie ?????

Man has this RC stuff changed since I got out of it in 1997.........WOW. Ok, I finally figured out what a "Fomie" is and decided to buy one. I wound up with the Hobby Lobby Yak they just had on sale. Got everything but the charger and a couple of micro servos so far.

But, my delima is, do I use clear packing tape for the hinges or do I buy the sig CA hinges and cut them or are there better alternativies than either of those for the hinges?

Also, I'd like to paint the bottom of the wings and elevator some, but have heard of horror stories of certain Paints melting the foam. So what paints are safe, I've read where Testors model spray enamal is OK, to use. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch, this is my first electric. Can't wait to fly it!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:09 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: First Fomie ?????

It Was A Shock For Me Too( I Got BAck In 1998)
I Have Found That Medical Tape Or What Nurses Call Heart Tape Is Great Dubro Sells The Same Thing Called Hinge Tape.To Use It Space The 2 Parts About 1/4" Apart And Tape Them .Then Push Them Toghter So the Tape Touches In The Middle And Makes A Hinge.
I Have Also Used The Disk Out Of A 3 1/2" Floppy Disk And Cut CA Style Hinges From The Disk.MAke Slots Like CA Hinges And Glue Them In With 5 Mim Epoxy .Nice And Flexable.
As Far As Paint Goes Any Water Base Paint Os OK.I Have Been Told Krylon Is OK If Lightly Spryed( I Hate If's) Enamles Are Oil Base And Have Aceatone it Them. [X(] Try On A Test Peice First.
Welcome Back.
John
Old 08-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can probably get more information in some other forum than kit building. Try ARF forum, or Beginners.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-03-2006, 06:41 PM
guitardude

Hi all, just got home from work and ran by the hobby shop on the way. Got a good Fomie education, decided to go with the CA hinges and aparently ALL the Testors Spray Paint is foam safe, so I picked up a can of yellow for the bottom of the plane.

Thanks a bunch. Gotta go work on my fomie now!

See Ya!