Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Global 182 Skylane kit (from 10+ years ago)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Global 182 Skylane kit (from 10+ years ago)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global 182 Skylane kit (from 10+ years ago)

I got this for Christmas some 10-12 years ago; I could only afford the plane, not enough for electronics, so it sat in the attic. Anyways, some 10+ years later I've finally started working on it. I was wondering if any of you might have owned this kit and could give me your experiences and opinions of it, anything I need to look out for, etc. It's going together well; definitely die cut, and even then they decided to err on the side of caution and make everything a little bit too big (not a problem).

I am also concerned about the longerons they have. Apparently I will have to sand them into the Cessna shape as they're all square cut, is there a method to get this right or just "that looks about right" method?

I seem to remember reading a year or so ago that someone said they didn't like theirs, so I thought I would go ahead and ask everyone else. The wood seems ok to me, if a bit heavy. Of course, I'm used to small electrics (heaviest plane is 19oz) so just holding up what I've built so far is sort of, "This thing is going to fly? I hope the motor has alot of power!"
Old 08-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Wufnu

Default RE: Global 182 Skylane kit (from 10+ years ago)

I am the only person to buy this kit? o.O
Old 08-05-2006, 06:27 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No you are not the only.....but few have I remember seeing one - LOT of balsa there, enjoy your time sanding
Old 08-05-2006, 08:35 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one NIB for about as long as you have your. Doesn't look like a bad kit to me
but I did't like that block of wood hanging from the bottom of the fuse for the main
gear. You would think that Global would have come up with a better way. I gave it
to my brother-in-law last year but he hasn't started working on it yet. What/which
longerons are you talk about?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Wufnu

Yah, that block is pretty large =/ Would have been nice if they could have moved it up into the fuselage some. The picture on the box is great, I loved it when I was a little kid and it still looks great to me now, but I'm going to leave the block the way it shows in the plans. That's just life, I guess.

Well, I hope I used the right term when I said longerons. It's balsa blocks that run along the four corners of the bulkheads from the cabin area down the empennage to the horiz stabilizer. They're big and rectangular, but the plans show them as being curved on the outside of the fuselage. Since they're the only pieces in the kit that fit I reckon I'm supposed to sand them into a curved shape. I was hoping there was a better way to do it than TLAR, but that will be fine too. My fear is that balsa sands very easy and I wasn't sure if I could get a smooth, linear, and nonwavy curve down the length of the fuselage.

And, yes, there is alot of sanding in my immediate future o.O EVERYTHING has to be sanded to shape. I guess that's why it's a kit instead of an ARF, right? I kinda like it that way.

This is my first honest to goodness RC kit and I'm having alot more fun than I thought I would. I'm anxious to start covering but I have to buy a bunch of stuff before I'll be ready for that, story of my life. Thanks for the information, and if any of you have completed this kit and have pictures or video or ANYTHING please reply here.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

wufnu: Post some pics of your build as you go along. Can't be any more sanding than the cowling on a Top Flite "Contender." I have been
working on it off and on (mostly off, until recently) for about 6 months. I am covering the control surfaces, now.

Welcome to the world of builders. This is my first kit in 50 years. I love it.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:58 PM
tailskid

You guys need to check out a Bruce Tharpe kit.....almost as fast building as an ARF!

www.btemodels.com
Old 08-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Wufnu

I'm having alot of fun, much more than I thought I would. The only kits I've built were 14 years ago, and they were only little peanut scale rubber tissue and balsa planes. The thing is, they were ALOT more complex and MUCH more difficult to build than this kit is. They were literally 1/8" or smaller sticks and "die cut" pieces that you had to cut out yourself because the die never went through. To think, I was intimidated all those years ago to not touch it until I had some super shop.

Here are some pics. I know the longeron has a gap on the bottom left of the firewall (not in the back), I will fill the gap with epoxy after I sand it.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:10 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

I've got a kit in the box still; got it off of evilbay about a year ago. I'm looking forward to the build when I have the time. I was hoping to have it done by the end of the year but I haven't even started it and it's definetly a build...

This will be my second one, the first my Dad and I had in the early 90s and flew it for a few years with a magnum 65 2 stroke, which was a plain bearing engine (kind of like an OS LA series of today but more like the FPs of the time). It was a pretty good match and a fun plane to fly. I really don't recall any bad habits but it wasn't a trainer. In fact it could do some fun aerobatics and would snap very nicely. Landings were nice with a nose high attitude, that's one of the things I loved about it. It was just a breeze to fly and one day after about 8 years of flying the glue joints started to come apart so we retired it. I looked for a kit for a little while on evilbay and found one.

I think I got it for $75 or so. I'll be putting an appropriate sized 4 stroke on it I think, something in the 60-70 range.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Wufnu

Great stuff, your descriptions of its flight qualities are encouraging. You know, I started building this kit with kinda lukewarm enthusiasm but I'm really getting excited now. Watching it come together makes me want to work on it more The largest plane I had before this is a GWS C-47, and I just joined a local RC club about a month ago, so everything is new here. Just looking at it on the table leaves a feeling of, "Ok. This is a huge plane..." I know for you folks that have been flying glow forever this is just your average size plane, but to me (someone that's been electric and 1/2A only) it's a goliath. If you start building soon feel free to post your progress, I would like to see it. I'm pretty amazed at how easy it is to build, how simple it is, and how fast it's going together. How did you do the fuel filling tube? The engine doesn't look like it will be easy to reach, I was considering using a fuel filling valve but everyone said that if they don't leak now then they will in the future. I'm thinking of using a fuel line with a dot; the way they explained it the dot would pressure fit it on the side of the fuseage and when you pull the dot out the fuel tube will come with it.

This RC stuff is funny sometimes. Before I got started I always thought the plane/engine were the biggest costs 0.o I added up everything I would need to make it flyable and I need another $200 in stuff! [X(], despite the fact that I have both the plane and engine (and most of the hardware, including $12 a roll covering, etc). I think I will have to slow down my progress some It's some sort of vicious circle... I need to finish planking the fuselage so I can cover it, I need the pushrods installed done before I can finish planking the eppenage, but I need servos in place for the best linkage layout, etc etc. I need to install the gas tank before putting the finishing touches on the nose, but I can't do that until I get a prop and probably a muffler so I can get the engine tested and broken in. Only problem with it all is that it's alot of small stuff, so there really isn't any option of making something myself or buying second hand to save money =/ Should have thought of all this before I started building, but I didn't.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:46 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

As I said originally, it's not a trainer nor is it a very good first kit. Still it's a good airplane and a good build. So since you have some time under your belt I'm sure you'll be fine.

being forced to take your time will be a good thing as it will allow you to pay attention to the details that need attention.

Enjoy it; there isn't always time to.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Wufnu

You're telling me, last semester I did schoolwork from 3-4am till 10pm (with classes throughout) most days of the week. Since this semester will be more difficult, I expect whatever is finished before Aug 23rd will be what is finished come the last part of December.

I got the bottom left part of the fuselage sanded tonight, took me an hour or so. Was alot easier than I thought it would be, the X-acto took off most of the wood and the sandpaper took off the rest. Feels like a single piece of wood now, and the curves seem nice and uniformly tapered the whole way down. Measuring where the curves were to begin and end helped alot.

I got to make an absolute mess, too
Old 08-07-2006, 02:09 AM
tailskid

What courses are you taking this Semester? Did you know sanding is good therapy for students memorizing facts and other trivia? Yep, it's true, I read it on the Internet!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Wufnu

Dynamics, Diff equations, Economics, Intro to Material Science and Engineering, and Chinese I

The sad thing is, this will only bring me up to two complete years. Transferring was a bad idea

I read that on the internet, too... just now. MUST BE TRUE!

Anything you do to control the dust? I was thinking about sanding with a shopvac sucking the dust off as soon as I make it, to keep things clean, but the noise will probably be a bother.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:46 AM
tailskid

I can see what you mean about a heavy load! OUCH....Ah, but if it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger Try a square floor fan with a furnance filter on the intake side, it won't pull a lot of air through, but what it does will have the balsa dust with it!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Wufnu

Good idea! Now to find a spare filter, I'm sure we have one somewhere.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 AM
alexheli

Hello, I´m in trouble with this kit (Global oldest 182)...I have no plans or manual, they were missed...then...with no choice, I started to put all togeter on the fuselage...little problems until now...but is very hard to "find where things mach" without directions.
Can you help me? Please... I need some photos from the plan or manual...
The fuselage I can do...I guess, but the wing panels will be impossible without help.
Thank you very much, apreciate you help. Those photos you publish help me a lot...to you have more?
Regards
Alex - Brazil
Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 AM
alexheli

Hey...can you help me too...put or sending me photos from the plan or manual...I gess plan photos will be great. I lost my papers.
thank you
Alex-Brazil