Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Kit Attempt Sig Somethin Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Kit Attempt Sig Somethin Extra

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 PM
1080tommy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit Attempt Sig Somethin Extra

Well I got the kit today and it looks really good. I marked all of the parts, and will probably begin building this weekend. I must say I am a little intimidated by all the parts, but hopefully with some diligent building the plane will come out nice. Thanks for all the help and advice from all you guys on doing my first kit.

Tom
Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: First Kit Attempt Sig Somethin Extra

Tom sig kits are among the nicest kits to build.I built one of these planes before.Very nice flyer and very stabil in flight.Matter of fact Ihave another slated to be built this winter. Good luck,stefanP
Old 08-04-2006, 10:37 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1080tommy

I must say I am a little intimidated by all the parts, but hopefully with some diligent building the plane will come out nice.
The parts will go together quicker and easier than you think. You'll enjoy building a sig kit.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:41 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about all of the parts, there is a place for every one of them! Just dive in, ask questions as needed, study the SSE build threads. In no time at, all you will have an empty box on one side of the table and an airplane on the other. Good luck
Old 08-05-2006, 08:59 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

This plane was so easy to build, I was able to do it in my apartment.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:22 PM
1080tommy

You guys are right as usual. I built my first wing today. Went together nicely. I used a flat table and built on a large piece of foam. I was very careful when adhering the ribs in place and the wing looks perfect with one little problem area were I cut a piece of sheeting a little short. I think it is only about 3 inches long and maybe 1/16 wide so I think that I can fill and sand it. Other then that the wing looks very true. I will get some pictures up as I go. Thanks again for all the positive and good advice.

Tom
Old 08-05-2006, 11:58 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

How to build a sig kit: Open box...throw in a bottle of CA...close box....shake....open box and pour out plane. They really are that easy....I have a 4* and a SE and I love both of them. They are great flying airplanes and were a joy to build.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:48 AM
cobra26

ORIGINAL: csdawggie

How to build a sig kit: Open box...throw in a bottle of CA...close box....shake....open box and pour out plane. They really are that easy....I have a 4* and a SE and I love both of them. They are great flying airplanes and were a joy to build.
csdawggie,

LOL! You just took out all of the fun of building! However, you are right - Sig kits are easy to build...

Old 08-06-2006, 04:14 PM
1080tommy

Well, I got both wings, ailerons, horizontal stab, and elevators built today. I drilled the one hole for the right elevator slightly off so the right elevator sits very slightly higher then the left. I also hinged the ailerons and will keep going tomorrow night. I ran out of CA and the hobby shop is closed now[:-]. I hope the elevatior does not become a big issue. I think that I can just tweak the wire that the one elevator is on. Oh yeah, hinging with a hobby knife really sucks, going to have to buy one of those hinge makers.

Tom
Old 08-06-2006, 11:37 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1080tommy

I hope the elevatior does not become a big issue. I think that I can just tweak the wire that the one elevator is on. Oh yeah, hinging with a hobby knife really sucks, going to have to buy one of those hinge makers.

Tom
You should be able to bend the joiner wire as long as it isn't too bad. As for hinging, the Great Planes Slot Machine works great for me when I want to do CA hinges. You've got me thinking about my two SE kits just sitting in the closet; I'd better get to work and have one of them in the air.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

You will love the plane when finished. If you are comfortable flying you may want to consider the Tower Hobbies 75 for power. It will rock your world so to speak, (mucho power). It will fly quite well with a 46 too. The 75 does require taller gear and a little weight for ballance. I fly mine just as is, a little nose heavy and I can't tell the difference. Man is the plane fun to fly with all that power up front at your beckoning.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 PM
weathervane

Well you all have me wanting to go and build my 4*40. It is just sitting there in the box.