Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

**THE RCU UNIVERSE COMMUNITY FLYER**

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

**THE RCU UNIVERSE COMMUNITY FLYER**

Old 08-24-2006, 10:39 PM
super tigre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **THE RCU UNIVERSE COMMUNITY FLYER**

I Have to go with the Pitts
Steve
AMA#511248
Old 08-25-2006, 12:34 AM
teufelhund
My Feedback: (2)

I'm going with the Pitts also. Ben
Old 08-25-2006, 04:44 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: john_s3

I Like The Stearman.The Only Consern I Have Is The Amount Of Scale Work That Should Be Done To Get The "WOW" I Beleve We Want .This Will Take Extra Time That Would Not Be Nessacery With The Pitts.
John
That's what factored into my edge going to the Pitts. The scale detail would generally come after final assembly. That means the responsibility (or priviledge?) would probably fall on a single person. Also to do a Stearman justice , it should really have a radial engine. That adds significantly to the cost (or solicitation responsibilities).

As has been a common opinion, the Stearman is a great plane that we'd all love to build. But it may not necessarily be the best suited plane for the purpose of this project. Just my $0.02
Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gee, With those two choices, Hmmmmmm. I really don't care. Don't think either of them really add much to the, "Wow", factor. You can pretty much buy either of them as an ARF in any size you would care to name. I thought we were going to build something that would really blow the socks off everyone. Then comes Minnflyer with the trainer thing..... Guys, we can do better than this.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more I think about Minnflyer's comment, the more it makes sense to me. Why not build 20 trainers and raffle them off to new AMA members at the next AMA convention (Jan 12-14)? Please use soft fruits and vegetables to throw at me.....
Old 08-25-2006, 07:48 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

The more I think about Minnflyer's comment, the more it makes sense to me. Why not build 20 trainers and raffle them off to new AMA members at the next AMA convention (Jan 12-14)? Please use soft fruits and vegetables to throw at me.....
I also thought that was a fantastic idea, and as I said it would be something I support if another group choose to do that. The idea behind this group is to promote building, and bring a group together to build something nice, unique and interesting. The charity this goes to help will just be one of the perks about this build, but just doing something for charity is not the sole purpose here. I give money out of my pocket to several charities each year. This is a team build, utilizing the talents of those involved. No offense to anyone, but building Trainers is not going to be that challenging for some of the people in here. They volunteered under the assumption we were going to build something great, and I sure would not be the one to say, "hey, now that I got you to join, we are all going to build trainers to give away". It would be a very nice thing to do, but I don't believe that is what they signed up to build. So, nobody is going to throw fruits at an idea like that, beacause it would be a great thing to do, but I believe it will be done by another group at another time. This group is either wanting to build a Pitts or a Stearman, and by the end of this day one of those Planes is going to be the Plane we build by the Team Members majority choice. Once the decision is settled on which Plane, we will go to talking plans. If anyone decides that they do not want to partake in the Stearman build, then they are always welcome to opt out at any time. This is a total voluntary thing, and nobody should feel they are obligated to continue if they are unhappy with what decisions the group is making by majority. I will be happy to help with either Plane chosen, and am looking forward to moving on closer to the actual building. We just got to get through these first grueling steps. When you are waiting to get input from so many, it does take a bit of time, but this is still going quicker than it takes my wife to pick out a new toaster!LOL
Old 08-25-2006, 08:14 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I wasn't trying to side track the project. I was only offering a suggestion.

I fully support this project and that's why I volunteered. If we are planning on soliciting donations from manufacturers, then I suggest that we have a comprehensive project plan. I'm not sure if the plan has been outlined yet, but it takes more than an email with an idea and solicitation to get free stuff.

From my limited project planning training we will need the following:
Project description. (Building an airplane to raffle off for charity)
Stakeholders. (The 20 builders, project manager, vendors, mfg's, and the charity)
Benefits. (Donating money to a worthy charity, increasing the awareness to model airplane building ect.)
Triangle flexibility. (Time, scope, cost)
Constraints. (Distance of builders, costs of components, final assembly - and a ton of other items that you don't think of in the beginning)
Assumptions. (Getting free stuff, builders competence, builders participation...)
Needs. (Plan, materials, charity, engine, radio, method of shipping components, money for materials)
Feasibility Assesment.
Estimate of costs
Estimate of time (timeline)

My point is, that if we have a clear and thoughtout plan, it will give everyone involve a clear picture of what we are doing, when it needs to be done, and to solicite freebies.

Agian, I'm not trying to step on any toes. I'm just trying to help.

Regards, Jeff
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Paladin049

I vote for the Pitts...I flew a real one many moons ago.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:31 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Gee, With those two choices, Hmmmmmm. I really don't care. Don't think either of them really add much to the, "Wow", factor. You can pretty much buy either of them as an ARF in any size you would care to name. I thought we were going to build something that would really blow the socks off everyone. Then comes Minnflyer with the trainer thing..... Guys, we can do better than this.

Bill, AMA 4720
Bill

I have been in several threads with you, and I would think you above all people would just love the chance to promote building no matter what we done. That was another one of my problems with building Trainers and giving them away. It would be just like handing someone an ARF, when what I would like to see us promote is the joy of building. This is why I wanted to include some new people as well into our project. Maybe other new people will come along and say, "hey, I would like to try and build my own plane. That looks like fun what they are doing." So I bet if you sit and think on it Bill, after the many post of yours that I have read, that you will see the benefit in whatever we build so long as people can find it interesting. If we can get one person interested in building Planes that had never built a Plane before or had always bought ARFs, then we have done a good thing for our side of the hobby!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:44 PM
ckangaroo70

******ATTENTION********

I HAVE COUNTED THE VOTES UP TO THIS POINT, AND EVEN WITHOUT THE ONES WHO HAVE NOT VOTED YET, THE MAJORITY IS ALLREADY CLEAR AND WE ARE BUILDING A PITTS. I AM STARTING A NEW THREAD NOW THAT WE KNOW THE PLANE WE ARE BUILDING! The thread will be title "RCU Builders come together to build Pitts"
Old 08-25-2006, 03:09 PM
ckangaroo70

Ken, David, or Minn or any kit building forum mod

I have started a new thread in regards to this build, and I was wondering if you could either lock this thread or delete it entirely since this thread was just basically used to recruit the team, and to figure out the Plane we will build. Now that descision is made a new thread with the Plane we are building is within the title of the thread. the new thread will also spare readers from having to dig through over 200 post to get to what they came into the thread to read. The main reason for my request is just to free up bandwidth on RCU, and to spare readers of 200 post of planning. Thanks

Ray Moore
Old 08-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not against these planes, I just stated my thoughts on the two of them. I'll support whatever the majority wants to build. I was just hoping for something a little less done. I still think we need to go BIG on this one.

Bill, AMA 4720