Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

**THE RCU UNIVERSE COMMUNITY FLYER**

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

**THE RCU UNIVERSE COMMUNITY FLYER**

Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default **THE RCU UNIVERSE COMMUNITY FLYER**

Something I have been thinking about for some time, and I thought would be fun to do is to get about 20 different builders here on RCU Universe to build a Plane together, and then donate the finished Plane to RCU to auction for some charity. What I had in mind was for a group of builders to decide upon a Plane to build. The way it would work is each member would construct a certain piece of the Plane, and then each piece would be mailed to a very good builder that we would designate to put it together. Each participating member would be mailed a piece of a plan to build from. We could even split up the task of making the parts. For example, a couple guys could cut ribs, one or two guys who know how to make figerglass parts could be responsible for that. Someone could cut some balsa strips, etc etc. I think it would be an interesting and fun project, could raise a few bucks for an RCU charity of RCU's choice, and it would have the signature of all the builders who contributed to building it. Anybody interested in getting something like this going?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: **THE RCU UNIVERSE COMMUNITY FLYER**

Count me in!!!!! As long as it's a good charity that is. Any of Marc's charities would be good with me. I'm a lot like Marc in that I would prefer to give the money to the dogs!!!

Ken
Old 08-16-2006, 08:41 PM
ckangaroo70

I think it would be fun to do, and we could each post photos here of how we are going on our donated task. We would have to setup guidlines and limit the people we get involved to a certain number to like 20 or so. We would also want members who are regulars here on RCU Universe, and do posess the ability to build. A first step would be once we have a team put together is for us to all decide by a majority what Plane we would like to build as a group. I think this Plane should be a scratch built into a buildable kit with everybody lending there talents to see it come together. As I said, it would all be done for charity, and the Plane would be assembled with parts we all put together by somebody we could trust to make sure the finished product got to RC Universe. Since you are a moderator Ken, and have building experience, I think you would make a good candidate to end up doing the final assembly. As a mod I think we could all put trust in you to make sure our Team Plane makes it to the auction block!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:50 PM
ckangaroo70

I think what will be the hardest thing to decide upon as a group will be what particular Plane to build. Anybody who is considering getting involved in this project may want to do a search at RCM Magazine in there Plans section, or the plans offered on the AMA website to get some ideas to share as to what we should build. Once a plan is decided on, I will order which ever one we decide upon, and then we will move to the step of splitting the plan up to the various participants. Any participant should also have the means to post photos here of there progress to share with others.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:01 PM
ckangaroo70

So far we have two members who are willing to take on such a task, and that is
1. ckangaroo70
2. RCKen
I will keep track of how many people sign up for this project, and once we reach about 20 dedicated individuals, unfortunately the rest will just have to be specatators, and follow along with the project if they wish. It would be fun to see this get off the ground, and it may be something that might take some time to finally complete, but a finished project someday down the road that was accomplished by RCU Members working together would be a real neat accomplishment and something to take real personal pride in.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

If the group would like me to do that I would be more than happy, but I know there are some builders out there with a lot more talent than I have. Let's see what everybody has to say.

I will step up and offer any custom graphics for the build. Of course we'll need the RCU graphics cut for it. But anything else needed for the final design I'll cut too.

Ken
Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 PM
ckangaroo70

Ken

As a group we would pick what to cover the Plane with, and what colors. Each part would reach you basically built and covered, except maybe for larger pieces. So basically by the time it would all reach you, it would almost be like assembling an ARF. If each person involved covers there donated part, then they can add there signature to the part they built. So once you assemle the Plane in more or less ARF form, it should contain about 20 or so different signatures, and maybe some kind of dedication printed on the Plane as a gift to RCU to use for a charity of there choice or something along those lines. If the group decides that they don't want the Plane inscribed with signatures then maybe we can come up with something else. The main thing is to make all the descisions as a group so we end up with a Plane that truly has the talent and input of each individual built into the Plane.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:21 PM
ckangaroo70

This should not be an overwhelming task for any one person. Basically each person will just be asked to build one certain area or part of the Plane, and when a part is completed and covered, that part would be mailed to Ken. When all the required parts are collected, then he would assemble them into a Plane. Nobody would be asked to do any more than they wanted to do. One guy may just want to build one elevator, while another guy might want to be involved in more of it. It will all be a total voluntary thing with each contributing those talents they wish to contribute.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in. Tell me which part you would like me to do, and how much I need to contribute.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Hey, that works for me that way. I'm all in

Ken
Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I'm in. Tell me which part you would like me to do, and how much I need to contribute.

Bill, AMA 4720
Bill

Welcome aboard. What you contribute is entirely up to you. We will make all the descisions together, and once we get a team of 20 built here. We will go to the phase of us all deciding what Plane to build. The next phase will be for me to order the plans for the Plane decided on, or the group may have a member that is able to draw plans. Either way we will come up with a set of plans for the Plane we all decide upon as a majority, and then we will then go to a phase of splitting up the Plan. Each member will volunteer how much of the plan they are willing to tackle. Once pieces are constructed we will go to a phase deciding on what kind of covering we will use, and what colors to use. I will donate money to the project to buy the covering, and mail each member the amount of covering they need to cover there particular piece or pieces. Before we can start we must first get us a team built. Once our team is compiled we can dig into it.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM
ckangaroo70

edit-Free up space

Old 08-16-2006, 10:07 PM
ckangaroo70

Hopefully this thread will generate the 20 members we need to start discussions on the actual project within the next few days. Until then we can have some general discussions on what type of Plane to build, and then once we get the 20 member team and everybody elses input we can all make a final descision. So, do you guys have any opinions on what type of Plane this should be or the size? I am thinking it probally should be something that would be easy to fly, and not to big, and not to small. Maybe something as big as 1/4 scale, but no smaller than 40 size. A trainer might not be intersting enough, but maybe something along the lines of a Fly Baby/ Piper Cub/ a stable Bi-Plane/ a large stick/ spacewalker/ Air Camper, or something else along those lines that would be a good flyer, and yet interesting and fun to build. Just a few of my thoughts. You guys may have some different ideas, and maybe something more aerobatic might be the ticket. I am just throwing out some ideas we can think about.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Are we going to put an engine in it too??? If it's for a charity maybe we can get an engine donated.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Stickbuilder

I'll be surprised if more than 20 builders don't apply. I think that maybe we will have to break it down even further to allow all that want to participate to do so. Or, maybe we can do more than one plane.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Stickbuilder

Why not? They (the distributors) generate the majority of their income from the folks who post here on RCU. Let's ask them. And while we are at it, lets go for a radio system as well, and let RCU auction off an complete Ready To Fly model. With some of the talent that is in here, the model would be priceless, and darn near a museum piece. (especially if the sub assemblies were autographed)

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-16-2006, 10:21 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am all for this. If you put the pieces together I can contact some mfg's perhaps for radio/engine gear and glue, etc...

I would participate myself even but I can't build! LOL....I have enough trouble putting together an ARF!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:27 PM
jeff1127

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in and willing to anything that needs to be done. Since I'm new I'd also just be willing to donate equipment if that's ok too.

My wings out ok though...lol

If it's for a charity could it be a beginner plane? That way we could get someone else started in the hobby.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:31 PM
ckangaroo70

Marc

Thanks for your support. This will be a fun way for us who are always sharing our ideas and such here in the forums a fun way to actually work together on a project, and use that project to go towards some good cause in the name of RC Universe and its members who enjoy building. Any of the charities RC Universe has supported in the past would be great. We are always talking about how we would do this or do that when building. Well here is a chance for us to combine all of our creative thinking and building talents into one project that those involved can take some real pride in. We are in the planning stages at this point, but I can truly invision seeing a finished plane here on rcu universe sometime in the future that was built by the hands of 20 different RCU Members who came together to build a Plane together, and for good cause.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:32 PM
jeff1127

Ken, You are too modest. I doubt there is anyone here who has more experience or talent than you do.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 PM
jeff1127

My wings TURN out ok.

LOL I build better than I type.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Stickbuilder

Ken, Why don't either you or Marc turn this thread into a, "Sticky", and let's keep it at the top of the forum?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: jeff1127
If it's for a charity could it be a beginner plane? That way we could get someone else started in the hobby.
Thats a good point, and I am sure it is something we will all take into consideration. I see you are fairly new here at RC Universe, so all I ask that if you really want to take part in the project that you log on to RC Universe and onto this thread and contribute your ideas. This truly has to be a team effort, and the brunt of this task must not be put on any one person. If you havn't built much that is ok. I am sure you can cut out some parts or help in other areas. Besides I am all about seeing new people take an interest in building! Welcome aboard!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ken, Why don't either you or Marc turn this thread into a, "Sticky", and let's keep it at the top of the forum?

Bill, AMA 4720
Marc or one of the Kit builder mods will have to sticky it here. I'm not a mod in this forum.

Ken
Old 08-16-2006, 10:42 PM
ckangaroo70

Bill, AMA 4720
Thats a fine idea, but maybe we should make sure we get our 20 members and get this thing off to a good rolling start. Once our build gaines attention and things get to rolling it will make for interesting enough reading for people to want to see it stuck at the top. As you said Bill, I am comfident though that we will get our 20 dedicated builders in no time. I have a good feeling that this project will get off the ground, and will get completed at some point in time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.