Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

To the "Builders"

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Helped to build
6.90%
Helped to cover
0%
Helped person to understand plans
0%
Helped at least one person to build a plane
17.24%
Helped a youngster to learn to build
10.34%
Helped a club member to learn to build
3.45%
Helped more people than I can remember
44.83%
Have never helped anyone
13.79%
Don't know how to build myself
0%
Would like to learn to build
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

To the "Builders"

Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Buteos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To the "Builders"

How many of you have taught someone to "build" a kit and if you have how many people have you taught?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: To the "Builders"

I've been at this hobby for over 57 years now, and you don't have enough selections to accurately mark the correct box.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-17-2006, 03:07 AM
parrthd

everyone i've tried to talk into kit building always gives one of the "excuses"

no time

don't want to invest in the tools to get started

don't have the skill (even after i've offered assistance)

why build when i can get an arf of any model i can build

don't have the room to build

don't want to learn

etc
etc
etc

how sorrowful it is to say but i think kit building is a lost and dying art.....
Old 08-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Buteos

What selections do you feel are needed?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay, builders know the style of building they do. it can be to the T, modified to look cool, or modified to make it easier for the modeler to use. I adjust things from the plans and steps taken to get to a finished plane. The people i've pointed in the rite direction (taught) have learned to follow the instructions to the T and as they become better and more knowledgeable in kit building, aerodynamics, since of weight, and reality. i've found them to be damn good builders. thats just my 2 cents tho.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
I've been at this hobby for over 57 years now, and you don't have enough selections to accurately mark the correct box.
Bill, AMA 4720
Same problem although I've only been in this hobby for approaching 40 years (I started building freeflight and control line at about 8 ) and couldn't count how many people I've taught. I started a club with some friends about 30 years ago that used to meet and build together once a month, how many of those types of clubs still exist? I still give talks for various building topics for club "entertainment" nights when asked. The most common question is "where do you find the time", I always answer "I don't watch television" which is mostly true.

Anyone is welcome in my workshop and I often visit other modellers in theirs. I love discussing and helping, there's always something more to learn.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:32 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Ditto to the rest of the old timers. Been at it 50 years and you don't have a category to fit.

Rich
Old 08-17-2006, 12:25 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm amazed at those who look at a kit built plane and say they don't have the time or talent to build one....but will never try. Some of the kits out there today as so easy......as opposed to 'back in the day' when Sterling ruled the roost
Old 08-17-2006, 12:35 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I have answered questions. But help someone build the entire kit ? Do you mean someone mentally impaired ? The kits did say for ages 12 and up at one time. They are pretty simple and easy to assemble. I don't understand why you believe someone would require assistance from start to end.

Generally speaking, if the person has no model building experience at all, then yes, you do need to steer them in the right direction. But once they get started, they generally catch on. After that, they only have a few questions here and there. The first attempt with Monokote is generally a frustrating one. I have helped cover planes . I do a section to demonsrtate a technique, then make them do a similar section, etc.

How many people have I helped in 35 years ? Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:37 PM
rcmiket

I guess I don't get it. Kits have plans and pretty detailed instructions nowdays. Why would someone need to be taught? I've helped many and they have helped me when hung up on unclear items. As far as holding someones hand. Never seen it or heard about anyone doing it.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Buteos

How about a selection for too dang many to remember?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-17-2006, 02:29 PM
tlgibson97

I think the problem with people nowadays not wanting to build ther own is they dont have the patience. They want to buy a plane and be at the field flying in the same day. I am in the process of building my first kit and Im having a blast. I had most of the airframe built in 2 weeks and it has taken a few more weeks for the finishing and details. I will probably be covering it this weekend if everything goes well. I havent ever covered anything before so it will be a learning experience for me. I have hit a few bumps along the way but the fun part is figuring them out. I wouldnt choose to build for my first plane. I bought a plane that was almost ready to fly out of the box so I dont have to be in a hurry to finish this kit, although Im very anxious to get it flying as im sure most of you all are when building. People just have to realize that they do have the time. Just a few minutes here and there will eventually finish a plane. But when they get started they will find themselves making more time becasue it is so much fun. I hear that building is a dieing art and it may very well be but you have one more to carry it on right here and I hope my son or daughter will be interested in it too. She has been helping me more. Shes only 5 but she is happy with a sanding block and a scrap piece of balsa.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:42 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

I helped a 10 year old kid build his first airplane, a LT-40. He was pretty much up to speed for the second airplane, but he was 11 by then. The thought of having to help an adult build a simple model really makes me want to laugh, assuming that they have at least learned how to read by the time they finished high school.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:56 PM
tailskid

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Buteos

How about a selection for too dang many to remember?

Bill, AMA 4720
Boy aint' that the truth....I have CRS syndrome....."Can't remember *****"
Old 08-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Buteos

I guess what I was getting at is that there are those that feel that the number of new kits are directly tied to the number on those wanting to buy them. With that in mind, the fewer building, the fewer new kits will be available. I myself didn't get into the sport until I was far beyond my childhood and yes, I can read but without the information needed to understand a set of prints I would have been lost. I will finish the kit I am now building and start another but I will also offer my help to other flyers that would like to learn to build. If that means from start to finish then so be it but I hope that by doing so I will pass on something that in turn will be passed on again and again.

Bob
Old 08-17-2006, 06:30 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have helped a number of people over the years. Helped a friend's twin sister with a couple plastic models, not so much on the items covered in the instructions, but things like trimming flash, getting parts to fit smoothly without gaps, painting parts and subassemblies.

In the AF, got a great feeling when a civilian contractor and his wife thanked us with warm handshakes for doing this with their son, 11 years old and starting to have problems because of the remoteness and the isolation in a foriegn country. We taught the kid building and flying FF and CL, mostly.

Helped a couple other people over the years. Even had one teen-ager thank me because helping him with understanding plans and engine instruction sheets, and looking up histories on scale planes he wanted to build helped him get more interested in school, especially with reading and composition writing. In 2 years, he was able to raise most of his grades at least one letter, and a couple by 2 letters.

We don't seem to get many requests for help with kits anymore. Some help with assembling ARFs, yes, but not much on kits. Fewer people want to be bothered taking the time. These same people get to almost drooling when they see what some of our better builders come up with from kits, or even large scale planes which the builder started by drawing his own plans.

I'm personally saddened when trying to work with some of the younger people, especially college students, with their apparent inability to read and understand even fairly simple written instructions. But then, when my son was in high school (parochial, by the way) almost 18 years ago, he took in to English class one of my old English (I also attended a parochial school)book reports that he found in the attic. His English teacher would have given it an A+. Nobody writes that way anymore in high school. That paper got me a C-.

Sorry to have started rambling.

Thinking this over, I agree that unless you meant helping build an entire kit for the student, there aren't enough selections.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Buteos

I have changed the poll to give a great many more choices not only for those who have helped but also for those who would like to learn.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:39 PM
RVM

I tell those people who say they don't have time that they only need one solid hour a week to build.

ORIGINAL: parrthd

everyone i've tried to talk into kit building always gives one of the "excuses"

no time

don't want to invest in the tools to get started

don't have the skill (even after i've offered assistance)

why build when i can get an arf of any model i can build

don't have the room to build

don't want to learn

etc
etc
etc

how sorrowful it is to say but i think kit building is a lost and dying art.....
Old 08-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I put down none but I have helped kids build A plane but then after they do one then that's it for them for one reason or another. I have offered countless club members to teach them or just help them but for A lot of reasons they have declined. You either want to or you don't, No gray area here.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Ok I guess that I am getting to be a old timer at this stuff 48 yrs flying and building ,Gawd where did the time go .oh well we had fun and still do.
I see some things that sort of bothers me here,(If a person can read they can build, is one) . You guys know for a fact that a kit no matter who's it is won't give you all the necessary knowledge to make a model like it is on the box cover .That takes time and practice,plus several learned techniques we have all picked up over the years .Some help from a knowledgeable builder can save the day at times when a new builder gets into a rut.
I can remember a red box TF kit ,you had best know what you were doing ,because if you didn't most chances was, it didn't get finished and if it did ,it may resemble a boat.
I agree the instructs are far better than what they once was .And with laser cutting now days no more crunched wood .
Being a craftsmen all my adult life has helped me with the building over the years ,but there are people that just can't understand it ,not saying there slow or anything they just don't have any mechanical aptitude what so ever.
But on the other hand the same people can fly the pants off allot of the club members.
As far as helping others ,thats just part of my makeup and always will be .Whether its building ,covering, engine tuning or whatever might come up.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Buteos

Cyberwolf, I have been a Millwright for over 35 years and a designer and builder of custom furniture...you know...the solid hardwood type. Its the tricks that cause a new builder the problems. They get stuck and don't know what to do so they guess as to how it should be put together because they haven't built long enough to know what it should look like.....boat or not. I can read blueprints and have been a fabricator longer than I can remember but that is me, not so with a person who has no formal training in that field. I am covering my plane now although I'm not sure how its going to turn out, I do know that you need to stretch it out while ironing and so far so good. I have learned by doing because I know that if I put my mind to it I can do just about anything...within reason but again...thats who I am. I have a TF Gold Spitfire kit that I really want to build over the winter and I want to fiberglass it....another challenge! I crashed the first two planes that I "bought" and I guess many at that point would have turned to another past time but its something I wanted to suceed at so.....I purchased another plane better suited for my abilities and continued. Now I am building and I enjoy seeing it take shape, knowing how each part works together with another to provide what is needed to fly. An added plus is that if I have damage to my purchased plane I know how to repair it.....
Old 08-18-2006, 08:23 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another point about learning to build. The skills I learned and developed over the years not only have given me (and other model builders I know) an edge in every job I've ever had, but have allowed me to stay in and grow for 25 years in a job field where the average stay is less than 5 years. My employers consider me one of the few keepers in the engineering department.

Trying to help others by teaching is just a way of holding on to good fortune by spreading it along.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Preface: I'm a 19 year old

I've done these:

Helped to build
Helped to cover
Helped person to understand plans

I will help anyone with anything. I love building, however, I think I need to stick up for those who "don't have time". Maybe the folks give this excuse because they don't want to be around a person who doesn't understand how they don't have much time to build and they would rather spend their time in other ways. Maybe, they don't like hanging around all you old guys. Maybe they get tired of all the complaints "these ARFer so called modelers don't know anything" etc. I hear it all the time. Now, I'm not trying to be mean, but from my perspective, that's the truth.

It no longer takes skill to own a model airplane. With these new "Plug 'n play" models out there, why bother wasting time and money? After all, the object of this hobby is flying. However, I do agree, these modelers are missing out on a lot. Many of them do not understand one part of their plane. With the ridiculously overpowered 3D planes out there, they can get out of trouble in a heartbeat and eventually, they'll learn what not to do. (I'm not bashing 3D or those that fly it[myself included]) IMO, these RTF planes are causing safety problems. These folks don't know when to just crash the plane instead of trying to fly out and ending up inside someone.

Now to the plight of those who actually don't have time. I will be going through a time in my life here when I won't have the ability to build. Do ya'll want to flame me for giving up kits for a while? My heart is always in building, but in my case, it will probably be impossible. Think twice before ya'll say it's an excuse.

That's my perspective. I'm not sure who all I flamed there. lol

Sincerely,
Christopher A. Todd
Old 08-18-2006, 09:15 AM
tailskid

"Trying to help others by teaching is just a way of holding on to good fortune by spreading it along."

Very well said!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:22 AM
rcmiket

Good point. I guess R/C has gone through a natural progression. In the beginning if you wanted to fly you bought a box with some sticks and limited instructions and plans. Today we have cheap labor overseas providing us with some really nice AFR's from trainers to some pretty good scale stuff. I don't think any of us can build as cheap as a ARF. There will always be a portion of us who will build from kits and plans. Some complain of the lack of kits out there, well these companies have to remain profitable or close the doors, they have to sell what we buy. Since we din't buy the kits offered are we the ones to blame?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.