Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

RCU Builders come together to build Pitts!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

RCU Builders come together to build Pitts!

Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 PM
teufelhund
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCU Builders come together to build Pitts!

Hi All, I would also be willing to work where needed. Would really love to be able to work on an actual part of the airframe, but all seems to be taken at this point unless we see developments after plans are sent out as to whether someone drops their part for whatever reason. I am a cabinetmaker by trade and willing to build the shipping crate for this beast if needed since I do have access to the materials and equipment needed. Ben
Old 08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks teufelhund. I am sure we will find something on the fuselage for you. Hopefully we will be able to ship the parts around in smaller forms before assembling into a large Plane. Still waiting to hear about plans. May have to move to a different option in regards to the plans if we can't find something out here soon. Got to keep things moving forward. I will either purchase a set from some place, and get permissin to make copies, or we may have to resort to an original plan drawn by an individual using CAD and available for download as a file.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:31 PM
D Bronk

Haven`t heard from, Jim Leroy yet..
Old 08-30-2006, 07:14 PM
weathervane

I know I missed it, But when are we trying to have it done by??

Andrew
Old 08-31-2006, 08:35 AM
D Bronk

..I have good News for the Group ,I recieved an e-mail from Jim Leroy ths morning. He thinks, this is a good project we`re doing, and he`s Happy, to allow us, to use his Bulldog ,to model..WE have his permission to Go Ahead..[sm=teeth_smile.gif].. Dave
Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 AM
ckangaroo70

That is fantastic news! Now we just need to drum up some plans, and we will be good to go. Thanks for the good news D Bronk!

Ray
Old 08-31-2006, 08:50 AM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: weathervane

I know I missed it, But when are we trying to have it done by??

Andrew
We will try to establish some kind of deadline at some point after we get all the details ironed out, and establish exactly what the build is going to take.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:00 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

..I have good News for the Group ,I recieved an e-mail from Jim Leroy ths morning. He thinks, this is a good project we`re doing, and he`s Happy, to allow us, to use his Bulldog ,to model..WE have his permission to Go Ahead..[sm=teeth_smile.gif].. Dave

Woo HOOOO!!
That is great news. Thanks for facilitating that arrangement. Can't wait to get started naw!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:03 AM
D Bronk

I`ll send Bipeflyer, a note....Dave
Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 AM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: krossk

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

Woo HOOOO!!
That is great news. Thanks for facilitating that arrangement. Can't wait to get started naw!

I`m Glad, we have his Blessing,too.I think, it was the right/proper, thing to do.Even though, we had to wait..D
Old 08-31-2006, 09:45 AM
jeff1127

That's great news that we have Jims blessing. Now the real fun starts.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:53 AM
D Bronk

Yes !! Waiting to hear back from Bipeflyer, in regards, to his Plans/Drawings..
Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 AM
theo63

i would take on a wing panel or two if needed sounds like a fun project
Old 08-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys. I was wondering why there weren't any new updates, then I realized it is in a new thread.

I'm happy to share the plans, if they're the ones the group want's to use. I just want to make sure that a DXF copy doesn't start circulating around the internet and end up on every free plan site.

The plans are sport scale, and were designed to use a foam core wing.
Here are what the plans look like and a few pics of the .46 size.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60476.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	516597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39332.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	516598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30472.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	516599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25516.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	516600  
Old 08-31-2006, 03:36 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The plane looks easy enough to build,
We can go with foam wings(no experience here) or we can have someone detail a built up structure on the plans and build wood wings. The posted pics of the .46 size model look very impressive.
If someone has a foam cutter they can cut the wing cores and the guys who want to build the wings can cut the aileron's out and sheet the wings. This may require a bit of engineering for wing mounting with increasing the size to 1/3 scale???
I guess we really need to look at the plans in scale to determine what will actually need to be done.
Anthony
Old 08-31-2006, 04:12 PM
D Bronk

HI BipeFlyer;I was kind of wondering, if you got my note..I think That`s fair enough,asking us , to keep the plans to ourselves`.Do you Think, A sheeted foam wing of 80",Will stand up to "insane" aerobatics,or, would a Traditional build up, be better ?.I`m sure, there`s going to be, lots of questions for you now...Dave
Old 08-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Bipe Flyer

People have different opinions, but a foam wing is stronger and lighter than built up - when done properly. A good foam wing only needs sheeting with no spars. I'm not trying to push the foam wing thing; it should be left up to whoever actually builds the wings.

What I can do, because this is such a large plan, is break it up into sections that will work easily with Tile Print. That way a person can load a part, like a former or a stabilizer, and print off just that section.

BTW, the plans shown are for a 78" span 1/3 scale (The Bulldog has a 19.5' wingspan.), not the .46 size planes shown in the pictures. I drew up the plans for a fellow in Florida so he could build a 1/3 scale.

I would recommend that the wings and empennage be built first and sent to whoever is building the fuselage to ensure that everything will fit correctly. Then on to covering person.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:58 PM
D Bronk

We`ll, have to get a group discussion going, on these Decisions..I`m pretty sure ,we will want to go, at a true, 1/3 scale though.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Bipe Flyer

True 1/3 scale is a 78" span.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:06 PM
weathervane

1/3 scale sounds good to me. A 78'' wing is not that bad. It might be easy to ship.(39" a side) [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Andrew
Old 08-31-2006, 07:07 PM
super tigre

I think the true 1/3 scale is the way to go.I can't wait to get started.
Steve
AMA#511248
Old 08-31-2006, 08:34 PM
ckangaroo70

Thanks for the offer on the plans Bipe! Thats real generous of you, and I think everyone will respect your wishes not to spread your plan around. So the next step once the plans are seen should be compiling a list of all the building supplies and hardware that we will need to build the Plane.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:39 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: theo63

i would take on a wing panel or two if needed sounds like a fun project
Hi theo

Thanks for the offer on the help. I think the wings may be spoken for by several other team members, but I am sure they could find something on those 4 wing panels that they might like some extra help on. Thanks for volunteering.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

People have different opinions, but a foam wing is stronger and lighter than built up - when done properly. A good foam wing only needs sheeting with no spars. I'm not trying to push the foam wing thing; it should be left up to whoever actually builds the wings.

What I can do, because this is such a large plan, is break it up into sections that will work easily with Tile Print. That way a person can load a part, like a former or a stabilizer, and print off just that section.

BTW, the plans shown are for a 78" span 1/3 scale (The Bulldog has a 19.5' wingspan.), not the .46 size planes shown in the pictures. I drew up the plans for a fellow in Florida so he could build a 1/3 scale.

I would recommend that the wings and empennage be built first and sent to whoever is building the fuselage to ensure that everything will fit correctly. Then on to covering person.
Bipe Flyer,

If you will check my previous post, you will see that I have been somewhat concerned regarding getting the Cabanes, the landing gear, the selection of the engine (plus a mounting template) etc. I have the equipment and the ability to duplicate the formers, sub-formers, the crutch etc. You are correct in that I would at least need to have the wing center sections in order to accurately build the lower wing saddle, and to be able to set the cabanes to get the correct incidences. If possible, I would prefer to have a full size plan of the fuselage, rather than a tile copy of each former. Or that failing, perhaps a scaled down plan showing the dimensions between formers, and saddle braces. I will need the horizontal stab incidence setting realative to the datum line.

Thanks,

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-31-2006, 08:45 PM
ckangaroo70

theo63 would make member eighteen on this team. I think at this point we will not be taking any new team members past 18. The way it looks, we may have plenty of volunteers. It seems that this bunch is an eager bunch and should be able to pull this off easily with the numbers we have. However we do welcome any sponsors who would like to help sponsor this project. Those people or business's will be mentioned along with those who build the plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.