Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

RCU Builders come together to build Pitts!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

RCU Builders come together to build Pitts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RCU Builders come together to build Pitts!

I'm still here.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:07 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer
I'm still here.
Ditto...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:41 PM
weathervane

Hello everyone. Still here X3
ORIGINAL: krossk

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer
I'm still here.
Ditto...
Old 07-28-2007, 04:16 PM
gjmjoe017
My Feedback: (1)

Guy's it is with a lot of sadness that I put this message up,but Jim LeRoy was killed in a crash in Dayton,Ohio today.I had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know Jim and he was,I think,the best airshow pilot in the business and an even greater person.I think we should finish this project and auction it off and send the proceeds to his wife,Joni.They have a son about 4or5yrs old.I have talked to Gordon and Andrew and they both agree.I think you guys will too.
Joe McCullar
St.Louis,Mo.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:35 PM
bjmjs

I was at the dayton airshow today & my thoughts immediately went to this project. This incident brings new meaning to the project. I think it would be great to see the proceeds go into a trust fund or something similar for Jim's child. Hopefully this sad turn of events will provide the passion & motivation needed to see this project completed.

P.S. To Jims' family, Our thoughts & prayers are with you.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:54 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! How heart breaking. My prayers are with his family. We have no choice but to make sure this project gets completed now! What a sad turn of events. I WILL HAVE MY PARTS COMPLETED BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK AND SENT TO BILL! THIS GIVES A WHOLE NEW PURPOSE AND MEANING TO THE PROJECT AND IT MUST BE DONE!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:55 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Joe,

I spoke with Bill a while ago, and passed along the sad news. He is completely in agreement with the proceeds going to Joni.

He also agrees, as you and I did, that we should get this one, yours, and mine all together at some point for a photo session. Further more, I propose we get all three of them in the air, and get a shot of them on a flyby. I can not think of a better way to honor Jim.

Along those lines, I'd like to ask for a renewed sense of purpose on all of our parts to get this project finished. Bill, as difficult as I know tis project has been for you, would you be kind enough to help "jumpstart" us again by posting a list of what work remains, what parts are still needed, and who, if anyone, you believe will be providing them? Perhaps that can get us back on track.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe,
When you called and told me the news I felt sick. It really seems like giving the proceeds to his family is the right thing to do.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:49 AM
jeff1127

When I had heard this news I had hoped it was not Jim piloting that plane but sadly it was.
I agree with all that this brings this project a renewed purpose and gives us all a new focus towards completing it.

My heart goes out to his family.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 AM
ckangaroo70

In my opinion we absolutely need a Treasurer for this project. I would really prefer it be a RCU Moderator like Ken or one of the other RCU regulars who has a long and outstanding Feedback record here on RCU, and who may have a PayPal account and can except donations for this project. I assume most people are honest, but people will feel more comfortable donating if they are certain there money is going directly to this cause. We can compile a list of all those who have donated and the amount so everybody knows what we have to work with. So, if one of you fine people will step up to be treasurer, then I will make the first donation to this project via a PayPal payment this afternoon. This is an absolute must if we are going to get this thing rolling! There are going to be alot of cost and labor needed to get this done. We have had people who have allready volunteered and made parts, we have had parts, software support, and covering donations from various members and business. Now we need some cash from those outside the project who may just want to offer there support by helping to fund this. I don't care if it is as little as $1, or as much as $100! Every little bit is going to be used towards a great cause by some exceptional RCU members who place value into doing good deeds within our hobby!
Old 07-29-2007, 03:12 PM
gjmjoe017

Sounds like a great idea to me.Gordon and I are going to talk by phone and get a list started of what we need to finish.Should do that this week.
Joe
Old 07-30-2007, 06:48 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Guys,
I just heard ther news this morning when I got to work, I really feel for his family. I only live 60 miles from Dayton and I was unable to attend the show this weekend. Now I am glad I wasn't there I know I would have been intently watching Jim's show.
Lets get this project moving ASAP, I will drop everything and get on the covering job as soon as it arrives.
Anthony
Old 07-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As of right now, we need formers F-1 and F-2. We need the wing cores (Gordon has them coming) and the parts to sheet and reinforce the wings. I will contribute the sheeting and small parts for the fuselage. We have the tail group complete, but sadly, we still need an engine and radio equipment with the associated linkages, horns etc. The landing gear never did materialize, so we will need gear (main and tail) as well as the wheel pants, wheels, collars etc. Joe supplied a short kit, and others have come through with the tail group and cabanes. I will provide a list as I can. I will put the current WACO Scale job aside in order to build this one and get it to Cub Nut for covering.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 07-30-2007, 08:55 AM
jeff1127

Bill,
I am still here and on board to supply the main gear. I will drop the two trainers I am working on and get right on it. One of these days I'll get one of them in the air and start flying lol.

I have been watching the thread and honestly thought this project had evaporated.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Guys.

It is always sad to receive such a phone call, but thanks to Gordon for giving me a call. The WACO is officially on the back burner until the Bulldog is completed and shipped out to CubNut. I think that if we can get a G-62 the model will fly well with this powerplant. Hopefully, the model will be won by someone who would be willing to put it on permanent display. Such a shame. Such a fine man.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I know someone originally offered to paint the plane,
I am willing to paint the plane once I have it covered and I will donate the paint. Stickbuilder keep me posted with your progress and I will make sure I am ready to start as soon as it arrives. I will get the supplies needed to do the details with the covering job.
Anthony
Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
gjmjoe017

Hey guys,I just found out Jim Cudahy,President of the International Council of Air Shows has set up a fund for Jim LeRoys 4yr old son Tommy.It is-
Jim LeRoy,Jr. Memorial Fund
c/o Harris Bank
Roselle,Ill.60172
Ph.630-980-2700
I think this would be the place for the proceeds of the auction or sell of the Bulldog.
Joe McCullar
Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 PM
ckangaroo70

Sounds good Joe!

I need some help! I am going to be cutting the F1 and the F2 Wednesday since I will have some time available that day. Someone please give me the exact measurement from top to bottom of the F1 and the F2 at there center points. I really want to make sure they are the exact size. I had this cut once allready, but they were not right. Draw me a map if you have to, but please help me establish the 100% positively correct dimensions please?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
gjmjoe017

I'll drop Gordon a line and ask his help.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
gboulton

As soon as I get a chance, I'll get out there and measure mine today, and post it here.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 AM
gboulton

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70
I need some help! I am going to be cutting the F1 and the F2 Wednesday since I will have some time available that day. Someone please give me the exact measurement from top to bottom of the F1 and the F2 at there center points. I really want to make sure they are the exact size. I had this cut once allready, but they were not right. Draw me a map if you have to, but please help me establish the 100% positively correct dimensions please?
ck,

I'll give ya the best measurements I can:

F1 : 240mm height at CL
F2 : 260mm height at CL

Now...be aware of a couple of things:

The F1 measurement is going to be quite accurate...within a couple mm either way...I can get to it pretty reasonably, AND have a CL drawn on it. I might be a TAD off, because the motor and mount are on there, so I had to measure above and below the mount, and then the mount itself. But, as I say, it's gonna be REAL close to dead on.

F2 is a bit sketchier...first, it's buried in the fuse, second, I have no CL drawn on it, and 3rd it's got a stringer at the top in the way of the ruler. I WAS able to get to it from beneath (haven't sheeted the bottom yet) and behind, so this measurement is going to be reasonably close, but I could imagine it being off by as much as 5mm one way or another. Essentially, I had to A) guess at the center line (I lined it up visually with the CL of F1) and B) had to try to read the ruler at an odd angle and C) had to measure from stringer to bottom, and then add in the thickness of the stringer. So, there's a bit of room for error there, as you can see.

However, I'd definitely say you can cut F1 to 240mm, and cut F2 to maybe 265 mm, and be good. 5mm either way on those two isn't going to throw anything off other than appearance, and cutting F2 a bit tall is safe...worst case, you'll give Bill a bit of sanding to do, no worries.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:59 PM
ckangaroo70

Thanks

Really all I need is the measurement of the one. Once I know the first it accurate, then I can scale the second on the Tile Print program. If I was more computer savy, I could have gotten both using Tile Print, but my computer skills are pretty darn limited.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 PM
weathervane

Sending the proceeds from the auction to Jim's Memorial Fund for his son is an excellent idea. I wish the "new" interest in the build didn't come from such a grim circumstance. If there is anything left in the build I can do please let me know. I now have a little more building/repairing experience.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jim's family.

-Andrew
Old 08-12-2007, 09:45 AM
jeff1127

Ok,
I need someone to measure the distance between the wheel mountings for the landing gear. I need the outside to outside dimension to fabricate the gear. I have the rest of the measurements from StickBuilder.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 AM
gboulton

Jeff,

19 1/16 " on mine.

However, I'll give ya a tip:

The gear has only 4 bends:

Two bends at the edges of the flat mounting plate....right where the sweep of the gear starts.

A bend at 1.25" up from the end of the gear.

If you'll make all those at 45 degrees, it'll come out just right.

If it'll help, I have a template I gave to the local sheet metal shop that they cut and bent mine off of that I'll be happy to mail to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.