Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Bipe Kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Bipe Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 04:35 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bipe Kit?

I have put together a few ARFs and I am progressing nicely through my first kit which is a Sig Somethin' Extra.

I have been thinking about what kit to build after I finish the Somethin' Extra and would like some input on building a first bipe as a second kit build.

I was thinking of maybe either a Sig Hog Bipe, Great Planes Ultimate Bipe 40 or maybe even the Goldberg Ultimate 10-300.

Approaching this from the building perspective I am interested in input on which would be the best kit for a second build.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2002, 07:19 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Hey Mav...

I have the Hog Bipe in kit form, waiting for me to build. I've looked through the kit extensively. What a cool kit, gorgeous lazer-cut parts. All options listed in manual. Very in-depth manual, one of the top manuals in my opinion. Lots of info available here, and elsewhere about the plane. You can power it with anything from an older style engine to one of the hot 4strokes.
That's my vote. The Hog Bipe is a great second builder.
I've had buddies that have wanted to buy my Hog-in-a-box, but no way, this is a buildin kit here to save for rainy day.
Good luck with whatever you go with.
PS I think the Hog is every bit the kit the Sig SE is. Careful though, those real nice kits can spoil you....
Old 02-04-2002, 01:41 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Bipe Kit?

The Hog bipe makes an excellent first bipe kit because of the easy construction and incidence setup. For a full review I wrote go to http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Kit...s/HogBipe.html

The Ultimate will certainly outfly a Hog in precision aerobatics, but the Hog will provide hours of relaxing barnstormer type flying enjoyment.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:53 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hog Bipe

My vote goes to the Hog Bipe. Although I have not biult either of the Ultimates, I have seen the kits and the instruction manuals. I have built two hog bipes so far, and wanting another. First one was built stock with no modifications. It turned out awesome and flew great. A magnum .91 4-stroke has just enough power tohover it and slowly , very slowly, pull it out of the hover.

I built my second Hog Bipe while my first was still flying. That is a first for me, I normally never build a second of any plane, let alone a second one while the first was still flying. This one I modified some, sort of made an ultimate out of it. Changed the tail, bigger surfaces, more throw. I added a canopy from a crashed GP .40 sized Extra 300. I also lightened it up some by cutting out some of the lite ply. I also left off the rounded wing tips.

All in all, they both fly great. I like the first one for doing barnstorming type flying, I love to see how slow I can get it, hovering the old fashioned way with all the ailerons down like flaps and a good steady head wing. The second one is more aerobatic and I use it to practice some of the 3D style aerobatics.

No matter which one you choose, I don't think you will go wrong with it, all three of the bipes fly great!
Old 02-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Spike

Default Re: Hog Bipe

Originally posted by VoughtF4U
... I have built two hog bipes so far, and wanting another. ...
Do you have any pics of your Hogs? I'd love to see them.

- Spike
Old 02-04-2002, 06:52 PM
VoughtF4U

Default Sig Hog Ultimate Hybrid

This is my Sig Hog Ultimate Hybrid. Not the best photo, but it shows the tail and the throws I have. Basically took the elevator and Rudder pieces they provide and didn't cut them down like the directions say. Also, this picture was taken after the canopy came off in flight. Waiting to finish off the 2-liter of coke in the frig before I replace it. I left off the rounded wingtips for faster roll rate. The nose is stock except I made a hatch on top so that I could get to the tank better without removing the wings. I also moved the gear mount plate forward about an inch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2267_1473.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	2286  
Old 02-04-2002, 06:57 PM
VoughtF4U

Default Second one

This is the first one I built. Kind of a Stearman color scheme, with US ARMY on the bottom of the wing and the red and white striped tail.

Name:	2268_1473.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	2287  
Old 02-04-2002, 06:58 PM
VoughtF4U

Default Fuse

This one is for sale BTW, no engine or servos and the covering is getting pretty ratty from so much flying. Never crashed...

Name:	2269_1473.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	2288  
Old 02-04-2002, 07:25 PM
KingAirJockey
Banned
My Feedback: (-2)

Default First Bipe Kit?

My vote goes for the golberg ultimate,it was the second kit I had built and I thought it went together very easily.They also fly great,land as slow as a trainer.I'm not sure but I think they come with fiberglass parts now.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:32 AM
steveg_oz

Default First Bipe Kit?

I'm just putting the finishing touches to a Goldberg Ultimate. It was a long but simple build, everything went together very easily. I reinforced the u/c to fuse area, as it seemed too flimsy to transfer landing gear loads to the fuse. Otherwise, a beautiful kit to build. Hope its as good to fly. Am using an OS91Fx.

So that's my vote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:44 PM
maverick

Default First Bipe Kit?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Right now from a build perspective I am leaning towards the Hog-Bipe covered with the blue/yellow Army training scheme.

But from a flying perspective really like the idea of the Ultimate!

But I guess I have to build the thing first so it might just have to be the Hog-Bipe.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:57 AM
MiL

Default First Bipe Kit?

Wow, that sounds great, i was thinking about buying a Somethin' Extra because of the great things i've heard about how well they build. I've alway wanted a biplane though, and if this builds as nicely as the SE then i might just have to go this route.

What about the Sig Skybolt and Smith Miniplane kits, do they build and fly as nicely as the Hog Bipe?

Thanks RCU
Old 02-14-2002, 03:32 AM
maverick

Default First Bipe Kit?

I know there have been a lot of posts recommending the Hog-Bipe but I must admit I am still leaning towards the GP Ultimate Bipe 40.

Can anybody specifically comment on this kit as far as building goes?

What about using a YS .63 as the engine? Lighter than the OS FS-70 II and more powerful too!
Old 02-14-2002, 03:34 AM
maverick

Default Re: Hog Bipe

Originally posted by VoughtF4U
Although I have not biult either of the Ultimates, I have seen the kits and the instruction manuals.
Any comments specifically on the GP Ultimate Bipe 40 kit and manual?
Old 02-14-2002, 02:25 PM
VoughtF4U

Default Kits

I really think all three of the kits are nice. I would rank the hog bipe first in ease to build, the GP ultimate next and the Goldberg ultimate last.

The GP Ultimate builds like almost any other GP kits out there. They are easy to build and go together fairly quickly. I rank the hog bipe before it though because I just liked the way it was engineered. It seems like it is just a notch above the GP.

You get laser cut plywood parts instead of die crunched. I really liked the simple way in which the wings join together with the cabane struts (although the GP is very similar). I also really appreciated the hardware package that was included. The Hog is set up for two aileron servos, so you don't have to re-design the servo mounts if you want dual servos for flaperons. I absolutely hate using torque rods like the GP ultimate has.

I highly suggest flaperons if you have a radio capable of them. My Hog slowed down to less than 5 MPH with only the slightest breeze and full flaperons. With the flaperons both up like spoilerons, I can do great elevators all the way to a landing, although if you don't add a bit of power right before touch down you will bend the gear a little.

I can go on and on about the hog bipe, It is my favorite sport flying plane out there. With a Magnum .91, you get a great flying plane at a great price. It will be less money and have a bigger presence than the GP Ultimate with the YS .63, although I think the Ultimate in this case will be peppier out of a hover.

Either way, I think you will love which ever plane you get. I guess in this case it almost boils down to which one looks better to you, although with the Hog you can modify it a lot easier than the Ultimate if you want to change the looks.

Good luck with whatever you choose...
-Scott-
Old 02-15-2002, 02:21 AM
maverick

Default First Bipe Kit?

Thanks for the feedback Scott. I am still leaning towards the GP Ultimate with the YS .63 in it. I am just trying to do more research on this combination as I haven't found anybody yet who has done it.

I have read about the GP Ultimate with an OS FS-70 in it and they said it flew well.

So with the YS being lighter and more powerful I would expect it to be even better.

Any comments?
Old 02-15-2002, 03:12 AM
gtalbot
My Feedback: (5)

Default Ultimate and YS

I have a Global Ultimate ARF.
It has a YS .63 engine.
I use a 13x6 prop for about 10,800 RPM.

Great combo!
I have video of it in flight I can email you if you like.
Old 02-15-2002, 03:17 AM
maverick

Default Re: Ultimate and YS

Originally posted by gtalbot
I have video of it in flight I can email you if you like.
Yes please! I have sent you an email with a better email address to send it to rather than my RCU address which is limted on space.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:35 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Default First Bipe Kit?

I'm finishing up my Hog Bipe. I usually fly ARFs, this is my 2nd kit and it is a pleasure. There's a lot of room to be creative and people who fly this plane love it.I'm installing an OSFS91, duel aileron servos, cowl and fancy landing gear cover. I used 21st century fabric for te first time and it looks real good.
If it flies as good as it looks I'll be in "bipe heaven"
Jeff
Old 03-03-2002, 07:09 AM
Hisham

Default 1st was a Twinny KIT!

First of my bipe's was a small TWINNY kit from Svenson.!
Nice flying bipe with a small WS of 100cm.! crashed it
while performing a flat spin !!
Then I worked on a TigerMoth kit from Pilot a bigger one
with an OS 52 FS for power, didn't fly it yet! However have seen
one airborne a superb flyer, gentle and forgiving !
Now I will be starting on my GreatPlanes Ultimate, seen lots
of reviews and excellent comments; till know!

PS we are talk'n about kit building right! :idea:
Old 03-03-2002, 02:52 PM
silvercloud-RCU

Default First Bipe Kit?

In my hanger ive got a sig libertysport and a phaeton2 and in a box a acehobby 4-60 bipe should be a bipe flying season this year also got a 4-40 bipe that is going to get kit bashed i got that one at an auction for 35.00 with a40 irvine with a pipe on it .Dave
Old 03-03-2002, 04:22 PM
robert

Default First Bipe Kit?

If you want something a little different, check out Chris Fosses excelent WOTS WOT. He has a great reputation for great kits. Theres also a cool Xtra Wot there, although its a monoplane, its excellent.
www.chrisfoss.co.uk
Robert.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:54 AM
nav8tor

Default First Bipe Kit?

I'm currently building a GP Ultimate. No real complaints so far although I did make some modifications that I think will improve it's preformance. The kit is set up for one servo for all four ailerons. I put two servos in the lower wing.

I also added brackets to bolt the cabanes to. The stock kit just has slots in the wings for the cabanes. I was concerned that the top wing would be able to move in relation to the lower one.

The framing is just about finished and I'm about to start installing the systems.
Old 05-12-2002, 05:27 PM
FUZZ

Default 1st bipe

In my opinion you just cant beat the Sig Hog Bipe,.... the wood is top notch, and the instructions and plans are great. You also dont have to worry about getting the incidence wrong Sig made it easy with the way the cabine goes togeather. This plane is also good at basic aerobatics and can almost land itself,.."almost". This was the second kit that I built and I love the plane. I have had several different engines on this plane but i kinda kit bashed it recently and cut the ply beside the engine and installed a cowl from fiberglass specialities. I have a Thunder Tiger Pro .61 with a pitts muffler. I havent had a chance to fly it with this combo yet. I did have a Saito 80 on it and it flew nicely.

Name:	10947_8425.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2289  
Old 05-12-2002, 08:11 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Default My new Hog Bipe

Here's my new Hog bipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.