Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sopwith pup project

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sopwith pup project

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:05 PM
1enter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sopwith pup project

Can anyone sugest a kit or plan for a glorious sopwith pup. Wingspan 60-70 inc (80 if wings in sections). What I want is an enjoyable build and a nice flyer! Any ideas on previous projects, if they were good or bad, would be most helpful.

Chocks away
Old 08-31-2006, 06:32 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: sopwith pup project

Balsa USA has a very nice 1/4 scale Pup kit, 77 inch wing, for a little over $200 USD. Mick Reeves, from your own country, also has a 1/4 scale Pup, as well as the Camel. His aircraft are outstanding, very accurate, but pricey. Of course, you wouldn't have the hassle of overseas shipping with his planes. Just put his name into a web search and check out his site.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
MP3_tilaco

I have a Puppetter from Flair Products, I got it from a good frend who bought the kit in USA. Is a very nice model and I'll building the model may be the next years.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

I was very happy with my choice to build the BalsaUSA Pup. I still have it although it is in need of some repair. Honestly though, since I am now in the process of building the Triplane, I think over the winter I will build another Pup instead of fix the older one. There is lot's I would like to do with it that would be easier from a new kit.

Here is a movie of my Pup...

[link=http://www.wings-of-valor.net/uploads/PupFlight1_256.wmv]"The Pup's Maiden Flight"[/link]
Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
fire fly 58

Just ordered a Flair Products Puppetter, anyone have any advice on building. I plan to power it with a Satio 62a. To much??
Old 07-18-2009, 07:41 PM
biplano

Hi, I have been flying my Puppeter for about 5 years now. It is among the best bipes I have ever flown; and I have flown quite a few of them.

Mine started with an OS 48 and it was just right.

I switched later to a 52 for more aerobatics (retaining the 48 carb to avoid making more holes in the cowl) and is perfect for my taste. It has ample power power all scale aerobatics; for any mishapps and also if the engine is not quite tuned or operating on old fuels or an ugly plug, it will still have power to fly safely.

A 62 is a LOT of power and you will find yourself flying at less than 1/3 power.

Also, unlike most bipes, if you place the batteries in the firewal front (cowl area) the plane needs no or very little nose weight, so a big engine is more weight that kills the most appealing feature of this bipe; a 12 Oz/sqInch. wing loading that gives you a "no stall" machine that lands at ridiculous low speed.

On my mainden flight, I did a wheel landing and after completing the maneover, I applied full up elevator to do the final "u" turn" and taxi back. Guess what, it tried to take off again with just the remainder speed of a completed landing.

I suggest that you add a on board igniter so that you can get a real low idle, otherwise, only wheel landings are possible!.

Do make sure you cool the engine well. Add aluminum buffers and increase the rear airflow exit opening. This has been my only problem so far with the airplane.

I liked the plane so much I bough the Fokker D 7 from the same Flai guys..

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM
WestCoastFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

1enter, Proctor Enterprises, nearby and one of the best scale aircraft kit companies in the world sells VK kits. VK Sopwith Camel $209.95 US not including accessories. http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...amel/camel.htm VK Sopwith "1-1/2 Strutter” Kit 298.95 US not including accessories. http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...r/strutter.htm