Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale Cub points?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/4 scale Cub points?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale Cub points?

Recieed a SIg 1/4 scale slipped cub today.... looks like a nice match for a G26; I know his is an old kit but any up to date considerations as I prepare?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 scale Cub points?

The Sig Cub is a great plane,
You can check out my build thread here, [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2708451/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link] I documented the build on the thread from start to finish and covered the mods that I did to the Cub. I powered mine with a Magnum 120 4-stroke but the G-26 is a good choice for this plane also.
Have Fun and Good Luck!!!
Anthony
Old 09-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Navy18

Anthony,
Give me the quick info on Sig Koverall... were you happy with it and is it hard for a monokote guy to switch too?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:04 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: Navy18

Anthony,
Give me the quick info on Sig Koverall... were you happy with it and is it hard for a monokote guy to switch too?
The Sig Koverall is a great product and it is very easy to work with. It is very easy to get used to working with it. Just attach the covering around the edges with dope like you would monokote with an iron, once it has dried you just shrink it and apply dope to fill the weave. It shrinks better than monokote and conforms around curves better than any iron on covering you will find. When you are finished you will struggle to find the seams in the fabric. I will not use anything but Koverall on a scale fabric coverd plane again.
Anthony
Old 09-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Navy18

Thanks Anthony, I will look into it..... what about the weight and paint options? I see some folks put 3 coates on the fabric, followed by a primer coat, paint and a clear coat finish.... sounds like alot of weight. Do you airbrush or just use a srpay can?

I have never used dope, do you wipe it on the wood prior to laying down the fabric, let it dry and then heat shrink?

I have a G26 sitting in a box and I was just told yesterday that I should have gotten a G38.... that just seems too heavy and overpowered for a cub in this weight class.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 AM
WacoNut

The G-26 will do just fine,
I painted my plane with Behr Semi-Gloss latex, after you shrink the covering brush 3 coats of dope on to fill the weave then paint the plane. The projected weight of the 1/4 clipped wing Cub is 14 to 16 lbs, my plane finished up at 13.5 lbs with all the scale detail that I put into it. Weight will not be an issue with this airplane. I know of a guy flying a 1/4 cub with an all up weight of 18lbs. It has a full wing and is powered by a G-38. If you go to Cubman's website (link on my Build thread) you will find alot of good mods for the Cub and it really helps the scale appearance.
Anthony
Old 09-04-2006, 10:13 AM
WacoNut

Oh by the way,
I used an HVLP gun to spray the Latex, I thinned it with 30% windshield washer fluid and added floetrol to help it spray better. The latex gives it a very scale looking finish and is gas proof, no need to clear coat when useing a gas engine.
Anthony
Old 09-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Navy18

Where did you learn all the paint logistics? I need to learn what all those acronyms are..... I would like to use a spray gun to enhance the look...even weather it some....

I am going to google "sig koverall" now and do some reading
Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 PM
WacoNut

I got the painting tips from some guys at RCscalebuilder.com The HVLP gun is a high volume low pressure spray gun. Mine is a Craftsman model and it works very well. I just noticed you are in Mason, I live in Blanchester and work in Blueash, small world
Years ago all models were coverd with faric or tissue and dope, I used to cover planes with tissue and dope when I was a kid so it wasn't much of a stretch for me to go with Koverall. I think you will like it once you have tried it.
Anthony
Old 09-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Navy18

Well, what do you know.... it is a small world. I plan on starting my kit after my workshop gets a good cleaning.... I am flying a GP Ultimate40 now at Miami Valley in Lebanon.

I will check out the paint guns at Sears Hardware next time I am out....
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Navy and Cubnut-- where in Ohio are you relative to the Dayton area? I went to the USAF museum a couple of years ago, camped at Caesar Creek S.P.. I took along a plane, got to fly at HAWKS field in Hamilton, met some great people there, and also flew at a field in Otterbein, Miami Valley R.C. That has to be one of the nicest fields I have ever seen, also some fine people there. Ohio seems made for R/C planes, miles and miles of open farmland.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Navy18

I am a member of Miami Valley and I have to agree with you.... I have alot of friends at HAWKS also. Ohio is rich with RC opportunity.

I am loated about 4 miles south of the field in Mason.....

Enjoy.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:34 PM
WacoNut

I am about an hour south of Dayton,
I do not belong to a Club, I fly on a 50 acre sod farm 1/2 mile from the house. You could land a full scale cub at the field I fly in.
Anthony