Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Cub build threads?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Cub build threads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 PM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Cub build threads?

I recently purchased a Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Cub and am looking for any build threads that may be out there. I will be powering it with a Brillelli 26cc motor. Please let me know if you are aware of any build threads

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-28-2006, 04:04 PM
lasuen

Default RE: Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Cub build threads?

Hey, I´m looking into a World Models 1/4 Scale Cub and I´m thinking on putting a gas engine in it, I wrote them, and they told me a 40 - 45cc would be OK, but I think its too mucho power, I´m thinking on using the Evolution Gas Engines, but still don´t know whether to use the 26GT, 25GT or the 45GX which is lighter than the 35GT...any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 PM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

I did a bit of research on small gas engines before I purchased the Brillelli. I went with the Brillelli because its all up weight (including mount, muffler and Electonic ignition) was less that the Zenoah 2.0 cc and the price was much better as well. The zenoah is also a battery hog compared to others. I believe the all up weight of the Evolution 26 was also more thatn the Brillelli and it is also relatively pricy ~ $399. The 2.6 should be plenty of power for the cub and I have heard nothing but good things about Brillelli. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:33 AM
beepee

Keep in mind that you may be wasting your time and money striving for the lightest weight engine. The Cub often needs extra nose weight when completed. Mine (though a different kit) flew very well on a Quadra 42 with magneto ignition and required no dead weight for balance. That Quadra is FAR from the lightest engine in this class. If it does work out for you, that will be great. You will have a very light Cub (maybe 15#, you think?) that will fly backwards in a 15 knot breeze. Mine was heavier and could not do that, but could fly well in 20+.

Have fun.

Bedford
Old 09-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started one at rcsb but its intended to be pictures at various mile stones. I bought the busa 1/4 J-3 kit and 1/4 L-4 plans and instruction book. Building both at the same time. Just this morning I took the clamps off the J-3 fuse. Will do the upper fuse formers this evening. Should have the L-4 fuse at this state by next weekend. I'm going glow with mine. Not a lot of room in that cowl for a gasser from what I can see. I also dont want a lot of engine hanging out. Will try an OS.91fs but maybe move up to a saito 1.00 later. The cub den has plans for a 1/4 scale J-3 engine that I will be doing also.
Edwin
Old 09-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

lasuen,
I had the world models 1/5 cub. Powered it with the same os.91fs that I'm going to use in the busa 1/4 cub. Rediculously over powered. I got a real good deal on that cub and loved flying it. Second best arf I ever bought (first is the rascal 110). Its a good quality arf (as far as arfs can go). You cant go wrong with that one. It flew comfortably at 1/4 throttle. I prefer to fly scale and let it hang in the wind. No bad habits on the ground or in the air. It was lost due to battery failure, should have used a new one, oh well. Ever since then I've been wanting another cub so I'm building the next one. I'm using 4-strokes because I like the sound of the soft putt-putt as a cub flys by.
Edwin
Old 10-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mmontella

I recently purchased a Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Cub and am looking for any build threads that may be out there. I will be powering it with a Brillelli 26cc motor. Please let me know if you are aware of any build threads

Thanks,

Mark
I don't know of any build threads on the Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub. I have had mine for several years now, and it flies nicely on a non pumped OS 120. I think that these gassers are going to really be overkill, plus I don't think that you are going to be able to hide the engine within the confines of the scale cowling. Just my opinion, but been there done that.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38208.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	533773  
Old 10-22-2006, 01:21 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someday, I'm going to get mt hands on a partially built one that was owned by a now deceased clubmember. He built one of these and started another just before he died. His first one was georgeous and also had scale bungee landing gear he built. The first time I saw it was being used for a Christmas display in the front window of a local hardware store. I almost drove my car into another when it caught my eye. From there I developed a great friendship with the owner of that Cub which unfortunately was too short.
I plan to use Electric Power (horrors) on mineas I fly only electric anymore now.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM
dreamwever

can anybody tell me how to get to the cub brotherhood forum thanks Dreamwever
Old 02-09-2012, 02:52 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, you are right about the needed weight,,,,I chose a larger engine and am glad I did....just the right weight and Ican run all day on half throttle.

ST3000.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Lowvoltage

ORIGINAL: dreamwever

can anybody tell me how to get to the cub brotherhood forum thanks Dreamwever
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

Joe
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

My 1/4 scale scratch built L-4 is powered by the Evolution G26. I feel it flies the plane well, after all a Cub is not a 3D plane. I also have a Sig Cub with a G38 and it has too much power. and last I have the hanger 9 Cub with a Zenoa G26 in it and it has plenty of power for that plane.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Karp050555

Originally Posted by mmontella

Thanks,

Mark
You could check out my build thread. Check out the NGH 38cc gas four stroke for $300 from Hobby King. It's now my engine of choice for airplanes in the 15-20 pound range.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ith-camel.html
Old 11-26-2014, 04:25 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG!! Really dude.... Once is enough and for many of us once with HK is to much!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Karp050555

Sorry about that. Kinda getting used to this forum stuff. I know many have had problems with HK and I'm one of them but I just can't say enough good things about this engine. There's just something about that four stroke sound. If you don't like HK, I'm sure someone else sells these engines.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Karp050555

Hey U Guiz! Come check out my latest rebuild thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cras...l#post11969109