Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Aileron warped?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Aileron warped?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 02:09 PM
gus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron warped?

Hi all.

I am building my first Kit (and first plane), a GP PT40. Almost the very last thing to be done before covering is the installation (test fitting) of the Ailerons.

So far everything has worked perfectly, but BOTH of my ailerons are "warped" when fitted. They are each about 25 inches long, and if thy are positioned so that the wing-tip end of the aileron is exactly aligned with the trailing edge of the wing tip, then the wing-root side of the aileron is about 1/8" too high (on both sides).

I am guessing that this is a result of the "washout" that is built in to the wing.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks

gus
Old 01-10-2003, 02:28 PM
TerrellFlyer

Default Aileron warped?

Nothing to worry.when the covering is installed the stretching of the covering can warp it in the direction you wish.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Kaos Rulz

Default Aileron warped?

Gus,
Ideally the ailerons should be straight across the wing. If after covering they are not, and are still only 1/8" off, then just make sure that both ailerons are level with the wingtip trailing edge. The ailerons have a greater effect at the wing tip versus the root side. Glue them solidly, align them accurately, fly, and have a ball.

ED
Old 01-10-2003, 02:45 PM
gus

Default Aileron warped?

Thanks all.

My only concern was that I didn't want to get in to covering things if the time to fix them was now!

thanks again

gus
Old 01-10-2003, 03:04 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aileron warped?

Don't worry about it. The hinges will straighten it out. Just make the hinge slots in the center of both the TE and the Aileron, and they will "bend it straight" so to speak. This won't put any undue stress on anything either.

Enjoy!
Old 01-10-2003, 03:24 PM
gus

Default Aileron warped?

Originally posted by MinnFlyer
Don't worry about it. The hinges will straighten it out. Just make the hinge slots in the center of both the TE and the Aileron, and they will "bend it straight" so to speak. This won't put any undue stress on anything either.

Enjoy!
Just to clarify...

The Ailerons are already hinged, (CA Hinges but no glue yet), and the hinges are as perfect as I could make them, in the center of the aileron, and TE of the wing. The "front" of the Aileron is perfectly aligned with the wing, it is just the TE of the Aileron which is out. Thus, the Aileron appears to be "twisted", rather than "bowed". The twist is the same as the washout twist of the wing. That is, the ailerons are straight, but the wing is twisted for the washout.

I will cover them tonight first thing, to see if I can reverse-twist the Aileron to match the twist of the wing washout.

thanks

gus
Old 01-10-2003, 03:27 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aileron warped?

Ah! Ok, yes, in that case, I would try to twist the aileron to match the wing