Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

help finding Pica parts

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

help finding Pica parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 PM
bridog
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help finding Pica parts

Hello to all I'm looking for a replacement windshield for my 1/5th scale cessna 182 pica...
I e-mailed cox about it they told me they may not reproduce the plane again till 2008...
anyone know where I may find one

Thank you
Bridog
Old 09-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help finding Pica parts

The Top Flite Cessna 182 is 1/5th scale.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:33 AM
bridog

thanks Deadeye!
I was thinking about that but wasn't sure how close of a match they where maybe I'll just order one and find out if I have no luck with the Pica one...
Old 09-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the old one, you can cut a duplicate from clear plastic. If you do not have to original, you can use paper, and make (cut and fit) a pattern, and cut a new one from plastic stock.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

And last, but not least , you can pull one. Its pretty involved. I helped a friend pull a canopy for a giant Gee Bee QED. 1.) carve a wooden mold, 2.) Construct an oven from foil covered building material and one or two heat guns. 3.) clamp a sheet of acetate in wooden frame . 4.0 heat the acetate, ( can actually be done in the oven if the wife ain't at home), 5.) pull the heated acetate down over the molded block of wood. IT will cool in the shape of the windshield or canopy. Its tricky. It take a few tries to get the technique down and to find the right thickness of acetate. The canopy frame work generally isn't as sharp as the factory ones. You can actually take it a step further and drill holes and use a shop vac to really suck the acetate down around the mold, provided you build some kind of box.
This is really last resort or if you are scratch building and you absolutely know there is no canopy available. And it generally takes two people.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 AM
bridog

thanks for this info guys!!! Wow Pilotfighter that is some serious work to get a canopy ... I might have to try that just to see what it's like and lucky for me I don't have a wife anymore to nag at me about the oven!! '
actually I do have the original and maybe I should have posed this Question??? I need a new one because I got a bunch of overspray on it.. Is there anything I can get it off with that won't eat the plastic???? i think it's a combination of primer and ppg....

Bridog
Old 09-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can try mineral spirits. It's fairly benign, and normally will not attack acetate.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1