Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Control Rod Installation Problem

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Control Rod Installation Problem

Old 01-13-2003, 11:33 PM
David_Moen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Rod Installation Problem

Hi All!

I am building a Great Planes Ultra Sport 40+. This is my first kit.

The elevator halves are controlled by steel pushrods that run back to the tail after splitting off up by the servo. Each half has it's own outer tube. When I was building the fuse, I noticed that there was quite a bend in the tubes as they ran from the rearmost former and the pushrod exits that were die cut in the fuse sides, but I thought that someone who knows more about such things designed the plane so I forged ahead.

Now I've got the control rods installed in the outer tubes, and to me it seems like there is an excessive amount of friction in the elevator set-up. Tested separately the rods have the same amount of friction. The rudder control rod runs fine through it's outer tube fine, but the hole that it runs through in the aft-most former is in a different spot than the elevator rods.

This is what I'm talking about - only 1 control rod is drawn in:

The push rod tubes are secured to the fuse sides where they exit with an epoxy/microballon mixture; they are glued at the aft-most former, where they pass through die punched holes, with CA. They are not glued at the forward end where they pass through a lite-ply support. I have about 1" of tube that extends forward of this guide so if I had to cut the tubes out of the aft section of the fuse I could push them back a bit.

Aside from pulling the bottom sheeting off the back part of the fuse and performing some surgery to straighten the tubes, can you think of another way to free up the control rods?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47128_15826.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	29183  
Old 01-14-2003, 12:18 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pushrod example you showed would work for pushrods that used a flexible inner. For the typical Great Planes pushrod that use a 1/16" rod in the center that will not work, they will not handle a bend of such degree.

I haopen to like the Great Planes control rods, but I use a piece of music wire that just fits the inside diameter of the outer control rod. I use this to position and align the pushrod to insure it's as straight as possible. After the outer rod is mounted I then remove the piece of music wire and insert the 1/16" wire.

Vince
Old 01-15-2003, 05:44 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry Dave, It looks like a little surgery is required.

I like the GP pushrod setup too, but it's gotta be straight. It shouldn't be too bad though, just break it loose at the rear and re-glue. (I would re-do the last two connections ie. the rear bulkhead and the fuse side).
Old 01-15-2003, 05:54 PM
David_Moen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh well, live and learn. When I started this kit (my first) I assumed everything was designed/cut to go together perfectly and so I did not question the curve in the rods. I guess I should have slowed down and posted here first!