Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

More questions for 4*60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

More questions for 4*60

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 04:09 AM
ebeygin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More questions for 4*60

Hi!

I don't like the way SIG instructs you to use screws to attach the wheels to the gear. I found these (look at picture).. I want it to look more real, but don't understand how they should attach to the gear, and hold the wheel at both sides. How do they work. How are you guys attaching your wheels?

And also, is there anything I should know, for soldering the tailwheel washers? How do I make a strong bond?

-eugn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47682_13924.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	29557  
Old 01-16-2003, 04:26 AM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hi Ebeygin - How you doing ??

I think you choose the same axles I did. I will see if I can take a pic that looks decent. I just used collars for that size of axle to keep the wheels on. Used a cut off wheel on my Dremel to cut off the excess length. Worked great.

I would also pitch that tail wheel that came with the kit and pick up a Sullivan or similar. Won't have to worry about soldering anything that way either.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47686_9312.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	29558  
Old 01-16-2003, 04:26 AM
2rolls
My Feedback: (16)

Default 4* wheels

The threaded part of the axles are put through a hole which you drill in the gear. They are held tight with the safety nuts included. The wheels are held in place with collars which you must buy.
Use a collar on the tail wheel also....croz
Old 01-16-2003, 06:50 AM
ebeygin

Wheel Collars!! that's what i was missing!

thanks guys..

I'll go for the sullivan too..

Where does that thin little spring go from the sullivan setup? How do I attach it to the rudder? will it be strong enough to turn the wheel in the direction of the rudder?

and also.. can't i just put the wheel collars on the "stock" version of the tail wire???
Old 01-16-2003, 07:59 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the soldering on the tailwheel and kept it stock and it is holding up quite well. Not necessarily recommending it, but it works. My rudder is also holding up with the metal glued to it. I did use the same axle set up for the gear as you have shown. It works well.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:29 PM
rlewellen
My Feedback: (1)

I used the supplied hardware for my axles. They lasted exactly two flights. I then replaced the LG and the axles and have had no problems since.

IMHO the mounting plate for the LG is the weakest link with this plane. I have ripped my LG and mounting plate off (landing to fast/hard) at least three times. To fix the problem, I added extra "beef" to the mounting plate and replaced the #6 screws holding the LG to the mounting plate with 1/4" nylon bolts.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:02 PM
Jim Schwagle

I used the supplied hardware for the landing gear and it has held up ok, but then I fly off of a paved strip. I doubt that it would hold up well on dirt or grass. I'm not sure how I would modify the plate holding the landing gear. I can see that on grass or dirt it could rip out, however, if the landing was very rough, I would rather have the landing gear plate rip out than hold like concrete as the plane flips over and tears off the vertical stab. In the past I have used nylon 1/4 - 20 bolts for the landing gear. They will rip out before the plate does. Easier to replace too.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:11 PM
rlewellen

Yes, I do fly off of a grass landing strip. The rough landings are my fault, but. . . .

I think (hope) the nylon bolts will bear the brunt of my landings until I get better. I've only been flying for 7 or 8 months and this is my first tail dragger. My landings with my GP Stik are okay.