Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Smith Miniplane build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Smith Miniplane build

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first experience with the Sig SMP back in the mid 90's was a nightmare. It resulted in 4 crashes and 3 rebuilds and eventualy the trash can. When I got my current SMP in a trade I decided as I built it that I would get an ARF of a similar plane to practice with before I put the SMP to the test. I bought a GP Christen Eagle .46 and it turned out to be a great idea. It got me used to flying a short coupled bi-plane. My first take-off with the SMP was straight as an arrow but once she left the ground the show was on. It shot straight up in the air and nearly stalled, actualy I believe it did stall but with plenty of throttle I managed to get it to about 100' and do 2 or 3 circuits until I got it somewhat trimmed. Since then I've gotten it balanced and trimmed and it's a really nice flying plane, smooth as silk on landing. The elevator is really sensetive and only requires a very little amount of travel to get the job done.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM
timo944

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KaP that's a good idea. After reading some of the stories in this forum an ARF might be a good idea. My flying experience is mainly with 20 to 40 size single wing aircraft. I have a Sopwith Camel but its a park flyer and not the same. It also suffered a..... ahem.... crash and hasn't been repaired yet. I'll check out the Eagle and maybe I can score something similar to "practice" with. My wife will LOVE that idea!

Or, Maybe I can find something used.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:22 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got an EagleTree stabilizer unit to put in mine, . . . . between the FA60TS and no biplane flying experience, . . . it'l probably be needed LOL! HOPE IT WORKS

T-man49 in Al
Saito 723
Spitifire bro 19
P38 bro 16
Old 01-11-2014, 04:35 PM
KaP2011

Originally Posted by timo944
KaP that's a good idea. After reading some of the stories in this forum an ARF might be a good idea. My flying experience is mainly with 20 to 40 size single wing aircraft. I have a Sopwith Camel but its a park flyer and not the same. It also suffered a..... ahem.... crash and hasn't been repaired yet. I'll check out the Eagle and maybe I can score something similar to "practice" with. My wife will LOVE that idea!

Or, Maybe I can find something used.
My wife wasn't too thrilled with my idea, I spent about $500 on it though she did say the Christen Eagle was a pretty plane.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM
rc_wings

Well guys...all I can suggest is practice those landings so you can grease them in, and practice take offs with a tail dragger so that you keep it straight as can be, before tackling the stubby little SMP. It looks like a kitten when someone with experience flies it, but for the inexperienced, it can end in disaster very quickly. The combination of short coupled and a narrow landing gear, can make it a nasty critter if you are too aggressive on the rudder, or used to slamming on the throttle. Some liberal expo on the rudder will help smooth things out a bit, as well as steady hands. Bipes also typically do not glide well due to lots of drag, so keep the power on. Make sure your engine is reliable on the ground, as it will not get better in the air. On a deadstick, (if that dreaded thing ever happens) keep the speed up. Better to land in a field straight and level than attempting to turn around at low altitude and low speed or you may end up in serious trouble. Bipes also do not fare well in mishaps unlike a mono plane. Two wings twisting around can make a mess of things, and usually involves some major fixing. It really is a fun plane to fly, as long as you are prepared for it! Be sure to have someone with experience take it up on maiden and trim it out before you attempt to fly it. Don't mean to scare you, but I have seen too many guys bring out a model that is well beyond their means of flying which quickly ends in disaster. Then they blame it on a bad design or a poor flying characteristics of the model. Lots of stick time will prepare you, and don't be embarrassed to just practice circuits doing landings and take offs until you get them perfectly consistent!!! Then you will have a good chance of success with the SMP or anything similar in design.

Happy building!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 AM
timo944

Maybe I should get that little Sopwith working again. All it needs is a few hours balsa and covering work!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM
KaP2011

That's what I would do.

I wound up trading the Christen Eagle to a friend in the club about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time he tried to fly it. I pointed out how short coupled it was and that he needed to really stay on the rudder during his take-off roll. My suggestion fell on deaf ears and, needless to say, the Eagle veered off the runway into the grass, flipped onto it's back and broke the rudder right off!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

Talking

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
Here's a pic of my workshop. I live in an apartment building where you can rent a detached garage if you want one. Well, my car already has one, so I rented a second garage for a workshop! I love it.
You are my kind of modeler. Keep up the good work!!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:45 PM
ripmax33

Hello to all

after seeing some beautiful sig miniplane in this forum , i was convinced to buy a kit. I'm really looking forward to it because it will be my first bi-plane
so i have a few questions as I'm a bit of a noob in certain area's.
First is i have a bit of a dilemma of the engine choice , i have a OS 40 Surpass and i was thinking, will be enough for this model ?
and what weight i should aiming for? i was thinking to use Koverall but i afraid it will end up a bit heavy, but i really like the material.
any thoughts and suggestions?

Kind Regards
Daniel

Last edited by ripmax33; 01-18-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:14 PM
KaP2011

ripmax33 - The SMP is a beautiful airplane but I don't think I would recommend it as a first bi-plane. To quote rc_wings "It looks like a kitten when someone with experience flies it, but for the inexperienced, it can end in disaster very quickly." My first experience with the SMP ended in disaster 4 times, it was nearly 20 years before I was willing to try again. The OS 40 Surpass will probably fly it but in a very scale manner. Mine is fabric covered but I have a Saito .56 for power, fabric covering can get heavy very quick. I would suggest a larger bi-plane for a first bipe, maybe a hog-bipe. Save the SMP for after you've gained some stick time on a bi-plane.

Last edited by KaP2011; 01-18-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Larry, thanks for the kind words! I started this thread, what, seven years ago and my SMP is still as pretty as she was on maiden day. But with a bigger house (you should see my workshop now, haha!).1
Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 AM
ripmax33

Originally Posted by KaP2011
ripmax33 - The SMP is a beautiful airplane but I don't think I would recommend it as a first bi-plane. To quote rc_wings "It looks like a kitten when someone with experience flies it, but for the inexperienced, it can end in disaster very quickly." My first experience with the SMP ended in disaster 4 times, it was nearly 20 years before I was willing to try again. The OS 40 Surpass will probably fly it but in a very scale manner. Mine is fabric covered but I have a Saito .56 for power, fabric covering can get heavy very quick. I would suggest a larger bi-plane for a first bipe, maybe a hog-bipe. Save the SMP for after you've gained some stick time on a bi-plane.
well i saw several SMP on youtube and doesn't seem difficult to fly, what i'm a bit worried is the size because it can be a bit of a problem with the orientation. other than that it looks like it will fly as my 48inch shoestring. what's the overall weight of yours covered with koverall? thanks for your reply
Old 01-19-2014, 05:38 AM
KaP2011

I had to read back through the thread to find but I did at post #899. It came out to 5lb 12oz. You are correct, it can be a bit of a pain to see at a distance. It flys pretty good.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 AM
ripmax33

wow 5lbs 12oz and with a saito 56! i tought you would tell me about 6lbs. i hope there is a good selection of wood in my kit, the last sig kit that i build was a 1/4 scale piper cub, and there was hard balsa showing in the plan, sig really mean it! i ended up replacing quite a bit of wood from the kit with medium grade. the kit was old and the wood very hard and heavy.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:54 AM
KaP2011

I did replace some of the wood with wood from my stockpile. The covering I used was 21st Century Coverite Fabric w/ 2 coats of automotive clear to seal the whole thing. I was surprized myself at how light it came out to be.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Rv7garage

My bud stopped by today and said he found this kit in his basement, and do u want it?

Sure! I said- it'll give me the chance to fix my mistakes! He didn't know that I'd already done one, haha.

Regardless- what an amazing, cool gift. Hopefully my son & I can build Mk. II some day. Good friends are priceless
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1962585  

Last edited by Rv7garage; 01-27-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:05 PM
Rv7garage

One more pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1962587  
Old 01-27-2014, 08:14 PM
rc_wings

Nice!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 AM
KaP2011

That's awsome! Can't beat the price! Everything always seems easier the second time around and makes more sence.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Rv7garage

Yep, ill never turn down a free kit! Especially a NIB Miniplane kit

Its actually got got some local area club flyers dated from 1996 in the box, so it's got some local history attached to it which is pretty cool.

Here' hoping that flying season hurries up and gets here
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 PM
big_poppa49

Hey guys. I recently picked up one of these from a guy. I need to know the CG mark to balance it. I believe it has been flown before but I cant tell where the previous pilot has his Rx battery and receiver mounted. I placed the battery under the fuel tank about mid-ways of the tank and plan to fix the Rx behind the fuel tank (between tank and servos). This is my first biplane and my first r/c plane that has been covered with fabric. Below is a picture of it. Im just going though the plane adding stuff and replacing what needs to be replaced. So far I have replaced the wheels, and put the switch back in and installed a charge jack. I just need the CG place so I can balance it out. Thanks

Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM
big_poppa49

Also I would love to have the decals that came with this bird to put on there. Anybody have a decal sheet they are not using? I cant seem to find just the decal sheet online. Thanks and let me know
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

mine is at the leading edge of the bottom wing. nice looking smith.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 PM
big_poppa49

How close to the actual edge? I wish I had the plans to this plane. I have found a .pdf version of the manual though. I got some "cockpit trim" (black fuel tubing) on the way for the edge of the cockpit.

Edit: notice this plane is missing the hump behind the pilot figure?? I wonder why that is? Unless the builder just didnt like the hump, I noticed every other mini plane has the hump

Last edited by big_poppa49; 04-07-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:27 PM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

if you run a straight edge from the leading edge to the bottom of the top wing that is where i have mine with a little nose down attitude.
where you have the batt. and rx is perfect, i am running a 48 surpass. do not get carried away with rudder as it will come back and bite you quick on the runway, mine goes straight down the runway and lifts off itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.