Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Question about invasion stripes

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Question about invasion stripes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 PM
fresnoflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about invasion stripes

Can anyone give me some advice about how to put invasion stripes around the belly pan of my p-51? I used trim monokote for the wing stripes, but so far a dry run on the belly pan looks like the stripes will wrinkle due to the compound curve. Help Please.

Fresnoflyer.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:48 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question about invasion stripes

I used a combination of regular Monoktoe for the black and Sig Aerokote for the white when I covered my Herr 1/2A Mustang. It worked pretty good. You might want to look at Hangar-9 Ultrcoat though. I've found that it works well around odd shapes using either an iron or a heat gun. You should be able to put it over Monokote just fine. If you take your time and really work the Ultrcoat, it should turn out nice.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 PM
fresnoflyer
My Feedback: (4)

thanks for the Reply....hey I noticed your from Clovis. I belong to the Maera club, I am trying to get my 51 finished for Saturday, we doing a static display at the Sierra Vist Mall. Maybe we'll see you there.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:56 AM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

When i did the stripes for my p-51 i actually made paper templates. I attached the paper and then took a seamstress tape to make a lineto follow with pencil to draw the stripe. When i took it off the fuse i had a template with the ellipse to cut out my monokote. I then attached that stripe and made another paper template being each stripe was going to be different. Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:37 PM
AVGJohn

I did the same thing as burgh guy61 for my GP P-51 and also for the fuse stripes on my TF P-47.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:09 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'll swing by Sierra Vista. It's just about 2-3 miles from me. I'm supposed to be painting but I can convince the other half that I just really want to take her shopping.