Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Help! Tri R Models Mooney 201

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Help! Tri R Models Mooney 201

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:10 PM
redbeardrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Tri R Models Mooney 201

Hi, I'm looking for what ever information I can find on a Tri R Models "Mooney 201" kit from the late '70's

Scale 2" FT Span 70" Length 50" ENG .60 WT. 7-8 1/4 LBS
Designed by T. Raney and G. Redenshek
Based on a 1977 Mooney M20J 201 (N201MJ)

I've obtained a copy of the original plans from the AMA Plan Service but sure could use any other information anyone out there might know about this kit. Build manual, parts list, etc....

[Dream Hat On] Perhaps someone still has an old kit lying around they might part with. [/Dreaming]

Any info you might have or know of would be greatly appreciated.

-Dave
Old 10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
redbeardrc

Default RE: Help! Tri R Models Mooney 201

Nobody?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:02 PM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

Dave, If you have the plans you could get a kit cut by one of the kit cutters. They could cut the complete kit or a short kit with all the ribs and formers. You might find this cheaper and quicker that hunting down a thirty year old kit that was pretty rare when new. See if one of the old timers in your local club can help you do a materials list. It is not hard but there are some things you might miss doing it the first time. With a short kit and a build list you can buy all the balsa from one of the many balsa suppliers. You may find most of what you need at a well stocked LHS, and order the rest. It's not as hard you might think once you have the structural parts precut. One other thing. The wood in a 30 odd year old kit is always supect. It warps over time. The mid 70's was a bad time for balsa as it was being used to insulate LNG tankers by the millions of pounds. Some of the stuff that made it into the kits of the time was either so hard that it would not cut or so soft that it crushed while trying to handle it. My advice is have someome else cut it for you and then enjoy a brand new kit.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 AM
miniatureerections

Hi, Dave,

I just returned form the monstrous Lebanon, PA swap meet, and picked up two cool finds, a set of retracts for a gigantic future project, a 24% Wendell Hostetler plan/Precision Kit Cutters produced Cessna 421 twin, and a Mooney 201 kit that a Mooney owner bought when it was released through the Mooney Owner's Club, but never molested, despite his good intentions to build it. Do you still need info./ assistance? I'd love to learn the "history" of the kit, and a guess as to it's value?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 AM
redbeardrc

Sorry Bob. All I know is what's posted above.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 AM
jjscott

Bob:

Post some pictures and show us what you've got. Let's see the plans and parts for that Mooney.

Jim
Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 PM
miniatureerections

Hi, Jim,

OK, but can I use the prized retract find to hold the rolled plans flat for the photos?!?
Seriously, I can attach pictures to my e-mail, but, as a true Luddite, I must, duh, learn how to add them to my rcuniverse postings.
Bob
Old 03-15-2009, 05:26 PM
jjscott

It's easy. Just below the last post there's a box with "Post Reply". Click there. Then, on bottom of that message space there's another box to upload images. Click that and it will let you post images directly from your computer. I guess it's all right to use the retract as a paperweight; that may be all it will be good for! [>:]

Jim
Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 PM
miniatureerections

Thanks for the info., Jim,

Will shoot some pix tomorrow, and give the posting a try: In the same vein as your post, I "caught" my gf usnig the monster retract, which I left on the kitchen table, to hold down a plot plan for her house!

Bob

Old 03-16-2009, 04:19 PM
miniatureerections

As requested, here's a snap of the Tri-R Mooney 201 kit's contents: parts are beautifully machine-cut, and this kit, tho' I'm no expert, looks very complete. The window outlines are etched into the plastic, and are made in two layers: the clear windows and a black plastic over-layer for the surrounds. Span is 70", built-up wing, fuse is 50", and it's in a scale of 2"-one foot. A .60 is suggested and the model should weigh 7 to 8 1/4 lbs. Should I sell or build?!?
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24409.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1159285  
Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
redbeardrc

Bob,

Is there a build manual or other documentation besides the blue prints?

This definately looks the kit I originally posted about.

If you are considering selling the kit, please keep me in mind.

-Dave
Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 PM
miniatureerections

Yes, there is a multi-page detailed instructions book (no illustrations) and four blueprint sheets. All the machined parts are printed with part numbers. Looks like the only "challenge" is the built-up balsa cowl/nose. Wonder if there is a fiberglass cowl avail.? I doubt it. Would love to find the history of the kit, with info about the circumstances of the Mooney pilot's club offering it...
I'm torn about what to do, I retire from my "day job" in June, I have many unbuilt kits, but this one seems quite special. It is clearly one you won't find on eBay or in a hobby shop. The molded 2-layer cabin, together with the numerous curved machine-cut pieces would make it a long project to duplicate with a bandsaw, something I've never tried to do. Not out of the question for a patient scratchbuilder. Has anyone ever heard of one that's been built??

Dave, most certainly when I reach a decision, or get an offer, I will post that news.
Bob
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
miniatureerections

Dave, as an addenda: if you'd like, I'll gladly xerox the directions, and send via snail...Here's my e-mail address: [email protected] (I had a pet skunk, but that's another story, isn't it??)
Bob
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM
redbeardrc

Email sent!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:07 PM
jjscott

Redbeardrc has been waiting over two years for one of these kits. If Bob decides to sell Redbeardrc sure deserves first crack at it.

Jim
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
miniatureerections

Good advice, Jim. I'm mailing the directions to redbeard tomorrow, and he provided me with more info about the prototype, and the kit. As I wrote him, "the puzzle pieces will fall together!" I telephoned the Mooney club today, MAPA, and spoke to someone who will ask an, ahem, senior member if he recalls the adverts for the kit...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:59 AM
miniatureerections

Fiberglass Specialties does Not have a cowl for this rare bird...
Old 02-28-2010, 10:00 AM
miniatureerections

Hi, Dave,
Someone's just contacted me about the kit, which is still in virginal shape. I'm trying to assess it's fair value, as I want to sell it, and want to apprise you of that. Would you like to make an offer. if you're still interested?
Best,
Bob
Old 04-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Mooney_driver

Bob or Dave.

Can you tell me if the Tri R Mooney 201 plans include parts templates on the plans? I spotted the plans in the AMA list. Being an avid Mooney lover I would like to build the 201 since I have not had much luck finding a kit. Can either of you tell me if the kit plan or the John Pond/AMA plan includes parts templates on the plan or not?

Bob, did you make a decision on the kit or know of another one that is available?

Thank you.
Jim

ORIGINAL: miniatureerections

Yes, there is a multi-page detailed instructions book (no illustrations) and four blueprint sheets. All the machined parts are printed with part numbers. Looks like the only "challenge" is the built-up balsa cowl/nose. Wonder if there is a fiberglass cowl avail.? I doubt it. Would love to find the history of the kit, with info about the circumstances of the Mooney pilot's club offering it...
I'm torn about what to do, I retire from my "day job" in June, I have many unbuilt kits, but this one seems quite special. It is clearly one you won't find on eBay or in a hobby shop. The molded 2-layer cabin, together with the numerous curved machine-cut pieces would make it a long project to duplicate with a bandsaw, something I've never tried to do. Not out of the question for a patient scratchbuilder. Has anyone ever heard of one that's been built??

Dave, most certainly when I reach a decision, or get an offer, I will post that news.
Bob
Old 04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
miniatureerections

I've just replied "privately", so this'll be redundant, but I've been busy with sports cars, model trains, and home repairs. I'll drag out the kit, and see, but my recollection is: no templates for the parts in the kit, on the plans. I'm no expert, and have never scratchbuilt a plane. Would someone from the AMA unroll the plans you're considering, over the phone, perhaps, and see what's depicted? Are your dues paid up?!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
miniatureerections

Finding Mooney kits isn't easy! I tried to buy a smaller kit from "Zeke's", via the 'net, and got a response, with my order #, two weeks ago. I've tried e-mailing "Zeke", to find out the status of the order , you guessed it: No reply. I e-'d the webmaster for his site, -no reply. I then realized there is no way to contact him! No phone, no address, nothin.!! I'm going to contact the Better Business Bureau, and be sure to advise youse not to buy from "Zeke", when I get more info from the authorities.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
miniatureerections

Well, I have apologized to Zeke's Park Scale Models: the Mooney kit arrived, in perfect shape, via Priority mail, today. So, all out there, fear not, Zeke's is real, and good, and sells laser cut short kits of Mooney parkflyers, to anyone, even we impatient-types.
Per my TriR Mooneykit, I dragged out the plans, they are four blueprint sheets, no ribs are depicted for tracing. There is a front"view" with various fuselage formers shown "in the flat", overlapped, as if they were stacked, I can't ascertain that they are all depicted. If you COULD trace anything, or hired a kit cutter to produce the ribs & formers, you'd still need to make a clear vacuum formed "canopy" with all the windows, which will not be easy! I don't know how one could build this kit, without the kit, but I am a beginner at al this.
Or, spring for the $40. to get a smaller version from Zeke's. Look at www.aero-labs.com for pix & a video!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Mooney_driver

The advertisements for the kit were in Scale RC Modeler magaazine. Ihave one here somewhere and think it was mid 70's. Iwill try to find it and at least give you one issue it was in.

ORIGINAL: miniatureerections

I telephoned the Mooney club today, MAPA, and spoke to someone who will ask an, ahem, senior member if he recalls the adverts for the kit...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
miniatureerections

Thank you earnestly, in advance, Mooney driver. Would really enjoy seeing that artifact!
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM
DMiller3638

I have this kit. NIB and mint.. Its phenomenal and definitely one of a kind.. About fell out of my chair when I ran across it last year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.