Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First twin kit???

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First twin kit???

Old 02-07-2002, 05:21 AM
bwillhite
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First twin kit???

I am very interested in building a twin engine R/C airplane as my next model.

Any suggestions on a good first twin???

Thank

bwillhite
Old 02-07-2002, 01:42 PM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

If you don't mind ARF's then the Hobbico Twinstar is great, I fly mine on 2 .25 FX's and it is alot of fun. Well, actually I used to fly it with 2 .25's now it has three, but that's a different story. If you really want a kit then the Pica Duellist is a good one, or you could go to the Top-Flite DC-3 but that gets a bit complicated for a first twin.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:44 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ya Gotta try the

Try the Pica F-82 Twin Mustang. Yo9u will need mini/micro servos, but the thing doesn't weigh anything even with 2 oversized .19 engines on it. I had a ball building them (built 2 this year) very straight forward building and great laser cut parts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2455_1475.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2407  
Old 02-08-2002, 01:38 AM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

You should take a look at the scaletech OV 10 Bronco ARF. There are several threads on it in the ARF section. It was designed by Rich Uravitch and flies very well.
Mike
Old 02-09-2002, 12:45 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I would do the Hobbico Twinstar. I'm on the downward side of using it as the first twin. It was ok with .25 fp's, but would be much better .25fx's. I TT .36's on mine and turned it into a real barn burner. Goes unlimited verticle on takeoff. The guys at the field love it when it roars up. Its being modified right now to take the flight stresses those .36's put on it. When done I'll rename it Super TwinStar. It really does fly as advertised very well on one engine. Happened a lot with those .25 fp's on it. I was able to takeoff while an engine died an went around the circuit another time just to see which one it was before I landed. Dont get me wrong, an engine out on a twin is something that you really need to learn how to handle. The twinstar is a good low cost way to do it. I have a wing mfg P-38 %50 built at this point, with a pica duellest next on the list.

Just love the sound of those twins.

FYI- I'm a new member. Finally decided forums have more usefull info than news groups.
Edwin
Old 02-09-2002, 01:54 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Hey Edwin..

Here is a thread on the Duellist, with a few hints to make it a better kit.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...threadid=40832]
Old 02-09-2002, 03:09 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

I have to agree with the twinstar. I have built a couple of Ziroli twins, but if you would like to get the feel of a twin at a reasonable cost, then go with the twinstar. If your looking to build one, then maybe the Top Flite DC3.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:53 AM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Something else to consider woud be the Rich Uravitch/Hobby Hangar OV-10. Haven't built one myself but looks like it would be a great project.
I've got a Twinstar with to .25FXs and I can't get enough of it. Those engines run so good together. I have done take-offs, loops, and rolls with just one engine. I've even gone as far as low inverted one-engine passes over the runway....I know I'm a show off but damn if it doesn't get my adrenaline pumping!! Initially installed LA 40s in it. Flew great, was a tad bit heavy and could never get those two engines to run good together. I agree with the .32s that would be perfect....Smokin'!!!
I've got a Duellist on the table right now, wing is almost completely glassed with mechanical retracts. Fuse is next. A pair of TT Pro 46s will power this one. Good advice on the thread listed above about the retract height. I'm going to have to be careful with mine. Very little prop clearance with the 10x6s but it should be OK flying off a paved runway. I added flaps just for the heck of it to help slow it down on landings.
Can't wait to fly it!!

It's not a hobby if you aren't having fun!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2547_1208.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	2408  
Old 02-09-2002, 05:05 AM
bwillhite
My Feedback: (3)

Default Thanks to Everyone

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post.

I am in the middle of deciding on my next kit. A twin or a ducted fan jet is very high on my list. I really like the looks of the Rich Uravitch/Hobby Hangar OV-10. I hear that Hobby Hangar is going to release a retract upgrade for their kit.

Thanks again, now I have to decide on a OV-10, Twinstar or a duelist, or a jet!!!

So many kits, so little time (and money )

bwillhite
Old 02-09-2002, 01:59 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I just love the finish work on that Duellest. Those pipes make it look like its breaking the sound barrier just sitting there.

Hey TCBLightning
Like that finish on the TwinStar. I need something original like that on mine. Just about ready to start painting.

Edwin