Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

kadet senior

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

kadet senior

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: kadet senior

The 70 is a really good choice, I have one on an 80 inch cub and it does well. I have frown a Senior on a 91 FS and loved it . Lots of power with the good habits of the Senior.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Gizmo-RCU

The 70 is a really good choice, I have one on an 80 inch cub and it does well. I have flown a Senior on a 91 FS and loved it . Lots of power with the good habits of the Senior.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:33 PM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JEB.....forgot to mention that mine is also a taildragger and i have a "bomb drop hatch as well. I like to drop the cheap plastic paratroopers from it when my club has our annual float fly. We do this during the county parks spring open house which draws out a lot of people. The paratrooper usually gets a cool response.

I did not need any nose wt.. Just battery and rec. towards the front. The .70 would be a great match also. I just happened to have a .52 sitting around at the time and thought it would fly it very scale like.....which it does.........
Old 11-04-2006, 09:43 AM
heli_Rod

Well....I did it! I ordered a new Senior Kadet kit this morning. I also ordered 2 fiberglass cowling's from a Great Planes, Seawind ARF. Tower deliverers fast, so it should be here no later than Wednesday.

Now I have to decide on what engines I want to use. I'm thinking of using O.S. FS-40 Surpass or FS-52's. I'm not sure if the .30's would deliver enough power with the additional weight and drag of 2 engine nacelles.

Once the kit arrives, I can get the modifications outlined on the plans and start ordering wood, engines and other materials I will need.

AHHHH...The smell of balsa in the air again!

Rod
Old 11-04-2006, 05:31 PM
scalemig

Heli rod, sounds like you are ready to go, i hope your going to do a full build thread for us to see.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:09 AM
heli_Rod

I will probably start a new thread on the build once I get it under way. I am in the decision making process right now...engines options, how much deviation from the stock Senior etc. Once the kit gets here, I'll start drawing in the changes and see how it all fits together.

Rod [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Ed Sidders
My Feedback: (2)

Alice has the ARF version. Saito 72 is just the right power using 13 x 4 prop.
Airplane needs some reinforcement around the cabin and check glue joints on ARF.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:30 PM
heli_Rod

As I said I would, I have started the Kadet Senior Twin Build. Here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...tm.htm#5007242

Rod
Old 11-30-2006, 09:19 PM
TCrafty

I've got a Senior kit that I bought used. It had a 50 Saito on it and flew okay. I just put a 72 Saito on it and I think it flies much better. Still goes just as slow as ever but is much more responsive. I'm a proponent for more power (within reason). I feel that it makes you use your left thumb sooner in the learning process and gets you in the habit of using the throttle for elevation instead of trying to point the plane up with the throttle wide open. And, I think it's actually much more scale-like than cranking out all the rpm on a smaller engine. We jus put a 40LA in my dad's senorita and it flies at about 1/3 throttle but it sounds much better than a 25 that's just screaming.

We were just talking about building another wing for my Senior without all the dihedral. One thing led to another and now we're talking about making the wing shaped much like the Stinson Reliant or Great Planes Old Timer. It will definitely have ailerons and maybe be a little wider than the original. Anyone else done something like that or seen it before?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Gizmo-RCU

I am scratch building a Sr. at this time. The wing will have 1 inch dihedril, shortened 6 inches, full length ailerons and semi-symetrical ribs. It will be sheeted on the leading and tailing edges with cap-strips.
The plane will be a tail dragger with large tires and have substantial power. I have several good 61 2 strokes, a 65 K&B and a 91 fs. Think I will try the K&B for starters as it just might work well on this set up?
This should be awsum on ski's of floats......
Old 12-01-2006, 01:07 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

My used Kadet Senior first flew with a .46 and 11oz of nose weight. Yes it flew, but sounded funny with the little .46 screaming the whole way. It now sports a .61 two stroke and flys much better.

My 9 yr old is learning to fly with it now. He loves taking off... hasn't landed it yet. I would not have let him take off with the old .46. The .61 with a 4 pitch prop gets it out of the danger zone quickly and safely. The extra power lets him loop-de-loop his little heart out. Even overweight, they are the easiest plane to fly I have ever seen.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Russ Verbael

I once had a Kadet Senior with a .40..but only flew it 2 or 3 times before going to an Enya .60. Much better. And then I bashed it into a twin with (2) LA .40's. What a rush!!
I'll try to attach a picture of the Kadet Dually.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44036.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	569770  
Old 12-01-2006, 01:37 AM
Russ Verbael

For WARHAWK...I used to fly at the old San Marcos strip...(now fully developed with houses, schools, malls, etc)..but still remember great times. If you send me your email or telephone ##, I'll check in when I get over there. I have in Oceanside.

And, the attached pic shows the Viking Funeral of my beloved Kadet Dually...it was involved in a fatal mid-air. Came down like a B-17 over Dresden in 1944. Sniff Sniff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16353.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	569783