Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

20 years of storage

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

20 years of storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 03:58 AM
xtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 years of storage

I found this amaziing... I had halfway finished a Sig Kadet JR when I was 16yrs old. I stored it in my parents attic in Chicago, IL wrappped in a plastic storage bag. I recently got it out and 20yrs later it is in perfect condition like the day I stopped working on it. Im almost finished with it now. 21 yrs to complete a model. ha ha.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That might be a new record :-)

Jerry
Old 01-20-2003, 04:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's about damn time you finished that thing! LOL
Old 01-20-2003, 05:59 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

hmmm.... I think a buddy of mine has you beat. He found a TopFlite Schoolmaster that he started building when we were kids, about '67. He hauled it outta the rafters at his dad's house. We're in the process now of cutting ailerons into the wing, going to go with 4-channel. I've flown them with single channle gear, royal servo, citizenship Mule, super-regen receiver. Good Luck on the Kadet, and I've gotta agree, you've taken procrastination to new levels!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:27 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Default Cool

xtech,

Thats cool! Let us know when you fly it!
Old 01-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Good for you, xtech. I don't have your record beat yet, but I'm working my way up to it.

I still have a 70% completed Borne Free 130" gull-wing sailplane, scratch built from RCM plan#707. It has been moth-balled since I started the project back in 1993. What's amazing is that, in the past 10yrs, it has survived cross-continent moves across 4 different States and only suffered a couple of minor dings and a broken rib.

I honestly don't think it'll get finished until I retire and get some serious time to build.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:24 PM
wolverine_cz

I can just beat 21 years.

My wife gave me Guillow's P51 for Chirstmas two years ago. It got me excited about building again. Last Easter, I pulled a half finished damaged Jetco Thermic 36 glider from the rafter's of my Dad's workshop (It was Christmas gift from my brother). I was 12 when last looked at it.

Using the plans and scaled the unbroken ribs as profile templates, I scratch built a second glider. I flew it with my son at the local Junior High last summer. I'm 34 now.

22 years.

I'm building a GP Spirit right now and have other kits waiting for the building board.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Mr_Ed

I got married in 1973. Started a CG Senior Falcon shortly thereafter. It's still sitting on top of the filing cabinet ready for final sanding and covering. Guess I'll have to finish it up one of these days.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:50 PM
flyingfever

.... at long last, I finally have a reason to put-off finishing my latest kit, "just a little while longer..."

Fever