Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Saito 45 & Sig Liberty Sport biplane??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Saito 45 & Sig Liberty Sport biplane??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 04:20 AM
farbs
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 45 & Sig Liberty Sport biplane??

HELP! I bought a Sig Liberty Sport biplane at a swap meet and I was wondering if my Saito 45 Four Stroke is big enough for this type of airplane? The plane is already built and in pretty good condition - needs some areas recovered and a little TLC but structurally its in very good condition and I thought my Saito 45 would work. Anyone got some inputs? Would the 45 be big enough for this plane?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:07 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it depends on what kind of performance you are looking for and what the model weighs. The Sig Liberty Sport calls for a 45-60 2 stroke. I've never seen one fly with any 45, but have seen several with 60 2 strokes. All flew very well although they are a bit fast for scale flying. If you install your Saito 45, I'd be real careful the first flight to be sure you don't stall it on the first take off. This would hold especially true if it weighs much more than 6 lbs.

John
Old 01-20-2003, 05:48 AM
David Smith
My Feedback: (1)

I flew one a few years back for a while; it had a Webra 2 stroke and it was JUST enough. I doubt that a 45 four stroke would be enough unless you build it VERY light.

Is the kit still available? I would like to build another one day, but it is no longer on Sig's website.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:47 PM
farbs

John and David,

Thanks for your inputs. I thought the 45 might be a little shy of power and I do not want to fly the plane if it does not have enough power.

David, as far as you question regarding the kit and if it is available. The plane is completely built. Not in a kit.

Thanks you both for your inputs.

Moderator please clost this thread.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Scott G

Sig doesn't manufacture the kit anymore... Which is unfortunate, I killed mine during a move from MN to CA. I would really like another one... On the upside you can buy plans for a 24% one from Wendell Hostetler.

http://www.aero-sports.com/whplans

Scott.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:17 PM
farbs

Scott,

I noticed that you said in your post you would like another Liberty Sport. Well, I think I'm going to sell this one. Are you interested?

It is completely built. Structurally it is very sound, no major parts broken. However there are few things it needs. It is missing the wing struts and I think the cabine struts are partially built - they are just wire. The plastic windshields are in pretty poor shape but the cowl and the wheel pants are in great condition. The only thing that's not too good is the movement of the airlons, I think the previous owner did a pretty poor job on them. Movement is not very smooth.

Cosmetically, well I've seen worse and I've seen better. Sections of the plane has been recovered. The airlons, the bottom of the wings, the bottom of the fuselage, and I think parts of the fuselage. I took some digital photos over the weekend so I can send them to you later if your interested. I would probably rate the covering a 6 or 6.5 out of 10. Personnally, if I had the time I would recover the wings and probably the fuz too. But I really don't have the time and after reading these posts I currently do not have a big enough engine for the plane. I'm going to sell it to someone who has the time and is willing to give this plane some tender loving care.

Are you interested? If so let me know and we can negotiate a fair price for the plane.

Bob
Old 01-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Scott G

Thanks, but I would be looking for it in kit form. Most likely I'll just get the plans from the link above when I get around to it again. I have a couple others that I would like to build first... The model queue is getting a little long

Thanks for the offer though,
Scott.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:30 PM
BeauMiller
My Feedback: (18)

How about a Saito .72 in this plane? Any other 4stroke recommendations?

I have a kit I'll probably start on in the next few months and am looking to get my 1st four stroker.

Thanks,
Beau
Old 01-21-2003, 07:49 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Saito.72 should make for a sweet flying model. The 60 2 strokes make the plane really too fast for this time of model (most people still treat the throttle as a toggle switch), but I that .72 should be plenty to haul this one around.

John
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I am restoring a sig liberty sport given to me.i have a new os surpass 70 and it seems it would be a good fit power wise.i am ok with it.the next motor I have is an os 91 and feel that might be too big.i really like the 70.help need some opinions here.