Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tiger 60 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tiger 60 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 60 Build Thread

Wow, this thread just keeps on living. Since I've had numerous requests over the years for the original article (and now that the forum supports it), I'm attaching the scanned article for all to benefit from.
The PDF of scanned images is over 4Mb per page, so the article will be contained in the next few posts.
Page 1 of 4:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pn37227.pdf (4.46 MB, 130 views)
Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 AM
krossk

Page 2 of 4:
Attached Files
Ec87118.pdf (4.75 MB, 82 views)
Old 06-24-2012, 08:08 AM
krossk

Page 3 of 4:
Attached Files
Bz78772.pdf (4.05 MB, 72 views)
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 AM
krossk

Page 4 of 4:
Attached Files
Ge94891.pdf (3.79 MB, 82 views)
Old 06-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Wolflord

I am glad the thread is still going, mine is still flying and I use it to train my dumb thumbs every spring. I love flying it. Thanks Krossk for the article looks good. Might try to use those ideas for my protege.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

My Tiger is my main plane.  I have 4 others but I am the best at flying the Tiger. 
Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 AM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

Hello everyone,just want to throw this and see if anyone is interested in a Tiger 60 wing kit and also a set of new foam wing cores.P.M. if any questions,Thanks,Freddy
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 AM
matadco

I realize this is an old thread but maybe someone will respond on what they did to balance the Tiger 60. A couple guys in our club have one so I thought I would build one for kicks. However, it is grossly tail heavy. Inorder to let is sit on all 3 legs I had to bend the mains back about 2 inches. However it is grossly tail heavy, say about 4 plus ounces. In case you ask, that is about 16 1/4os weights. That seems like a lot of extra weight. I am powering the bird with a Saito 72, which should pull it pretty well. Just curious if anyone one else have/had a CG weight problem and how did you solve it short of adding a ton and a half of noise weight.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 AM
warbird2
My Feedback: (8)

A tail heavy plane will not fly. Period.

The first step, I guess, is to see if you can move existing weight to the front.
Battery, servos - may need to move the RX to the back
In any case, you do what you have to do to balance per plan. add any weight needed to the very nose.

The Tiger has a big wing, any weight will not show.
Your engine is not a screamer, but it will fly it.

the 60 is a fun to fly plane, and it lands to nicely. rebend your struts as per plan

Ray
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 AM
matadco

If anyone is interested I finally balanced the new tiger. It took 8 oz or 1/21 lb. According to Tower's product info service the flying weight is 71/2 lbs. Before the weight I was at 61/2 lbs so should be ok. Should get the maden this weekend, weather permitting.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Tom.in.Maryland

I am close to completing a Tiger 60. Based on that article I just read, by Allen Allman which modified the Tiger, I notice his mods seem to add more weight to the tail, but that is may be made up for by the fact that he was putting a "90" size engine on the plane. I have read may comments about the Tiger 60 build being tail heavy, I am not at the point of balancing but I certainly am not going to over build the tail.

I was planning on putting a OS 65 on the nose which is a very light weight engine about 660grams, vs a Thunder Tiger Pro 60 at 760 grams, and an Evolution 61 at 760 grams. (these are weight without prop or spinner but all engine parts including prop bolt). I plan to use the Thunder Tiger engine that is heavyer and I am going to use a 5 cell 6v NiMh battery under the tank tray putting more weight up toward the nose. I have made my tank tray removable so that I can get to the tail drager plywood platform in front of former A and this also allows me to put the battery and weight if necessary right up near the firewall.

I agree with the article regarding the tank height in relationship to the carb. I am raising the tank by about 1/4 to 1/2" and running the fuel tubing thru the center of the firewall not over top of it as in the kit firewall design.

Although it may add some weight to the tail I did like the Allen Allman article suggestion on building in two extra bals formers in the middle of the fuse cutouts. I believe if made with light 1/8" balsa stick this should not add to much weight and would make the covering less resonant and more place to stick so it is likely I will make that add behind the fuse.

The wing attachment has concerned me and I intend on beefing up the wing bolt and wing pin areas.

Finally I would like to mention that this kit that is currently being produced is extremely good quality and very easy build. The laser part cutouts are precision and the parts just fall right out of the sheet. The Fuse fits together perfectly square very little help to align.

I would recommend this kit for its easy and fast build attributes.

Tom

Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Estang

i sheeted mine and put a Saito 125 up front with a ton of weight. auw is 11 LBS and flys like a dream.  very stable and does not bounce around in a light wind. I have a video of it flying at Rcmustan40

Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have read this whole thread as well as the Tiger Club one and find alot of info about this Tiger 60 that I just recieved in the mail. I have read the manual and looked plans over to get an idea what I have instore with this build. I don't see any real issues that can't be delt with but stuff i've read about aileron flutter caught my eye. So for those of you that have built this and done some modifications in that area might shed some light on this idea. First of all I don't care for the long length of the aileron. Question, if I cut the length in half and double the width would I still have the control the full length has. Useing two servos is not the answer, just uses more battery up and useing digitals use enough as it is.

Any well experienced help would be very well recieved, thanks Leroy
Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the standard size ailerons are just fine. Attach them to the wings with minimum gaps, use good quality servos, and connectors. Keep the slop to a minimum & you will be OK. Our club has several Tiger 60s flying and none have experienced aileron flutter....Gene
Old 11-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: gene6029

I think the standard size ailerons are just fine. Attach them to the wings with minimum gaps, use good quality servos, and connectors. Keep the slop to a minimum & you will be OK. Our club has several Tiger 60s flying and none have experienced aileron flutter....Gene
Thanks Gene, I believe your right, from what I have gathered from many this plane flies great built by the plans. I am however going to bash it some to accomodate the DLE22 and I will be posting much of the build on the Tiger club thread. Leroy
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
bikerbc

For sure standard ailerons are fine... Reduce the dihedral by about 1" ..Increasing the size of the rudder and elevators by about 3/4" to 1" is a good Idea... Tigers are almost always tail heavy so dont be surprized if you need to add 1/2 a pound or better to the nose...Keep your weight forward as best you can and you will have a great flying plane...I make mine tail draggers ..I put my landing gear just forward of the wing saddle..That way there is nothing in the wing..Very easy build....I think the kit actually gives you the tail dragger instructions if you want to do the mod but I could be wrong...Its very easy anyway... I have often thought about adding flaps but never have...They dont need flaps but might be fun to have just for the heck of it...Enjoy your Tiger ..
Old 11-17-2012, 01:03 PM
stevenmax50

I have built and flown 2 Tiger 60's. Both had .91 4s's. Bashed the second one a little. Made it a taildrager and added a nose cowl. Also made my rudder and elev aa little larger. But I did not change the aileron size. I did however remove most of the dihedral. I thought I had no issues with flutter because I never heard any. But I did have a couple of hinges (ca) break on me and I do not know what caused that. I replaced the CA with du-bro nylon hinges and no more problem. Ialso had a great time flying these. They taught me alot of aerobatics. Very easy to land as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 AM
bikerbc

If you have concern about your ailerons you can make laminated ones ..use 1/8" ply sandwitched between fairly hard balsa sanded to shape....Also if you pick your aileron stock pick hard wood..Its harder to twist..I have built several Tigers and I have never had trouble with flutter...I use the two servo system...I think the Tiger 11 plan has torque rods and the Tiger 60 has Two servos ...I think on my next Tiger I am going to put torque rods in and have flaps as well as dual servos in the wings...I did this on my Ultra Sport and it work's very well...
Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 AM
warbird2
My Feedback: (8)

Hi, I built two Tiger 60 and I have one on my work bench!
It is a great sport airplane - the key word is sport" it is not a racing or a full aerobatic frame - but it can teach you a thing or two.
I built my planes per plan, tricycle. Build it straight, solid and true - build light - you can beat the factory weight very easy.
A light plane will fly better, will land so much better.
A good 60 will power this plane with enough authority.
It can be modified to look like an Xtra 300, but if such is your fancy, buy an Xtra 300 in the first place, sorry the Tiger cannot match it.
Once the Tiger is flying and properly balanced, it is a great platform to fine tune it with radio programming. Create flaps, help in turns, in basic aerobatic. I love the Tiger for its intended purpose.
Ray
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 AM
madjekyll

I havn't seen much about,and am wanting your thoughts, on placement of the fuel tank....I'm building a tiger 2 and with all the talk about being tail heavy,I'm wondering if putting the tank,which changes weight during flight,right on the CG/main spar, and moving everything else up into its place,wouldn't help.....anyone done this?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:49 AM
lonestoner

Its been a while.my tiger 60 seems to perform better the more I fly it, I live in Indiana and I fly at the AMA headquarters in Muncie and it is a real piece of heaven out there, my tiger 60 is a tail dragger with a Saito 91upfront.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Leroy Gardner

As Tiger 60's go and some intrest in them I thought I'd show my finished one. It's modified from one end to the other, tube mounted wings, expanded tail feathers, completly changed and shortened lift off cockpit section, (botton is closed off as wing was raised). Custom made cowling hides a DLE 20 gasser and it's a tail drager, has flaps which aren't needed and ailerons are 15". Wing has 1" dihedral, 1/2 per side. Pilot is a sabertooth tiger and it flies like one, will also hover.

Plane was a blast to build and I made my own covering scheme useing Ultra-cote, forgot to mention the wings are sheeted, plane weighs 11 lbs, with the 20cc plane is fast and very aerobatic and lands at engine idle.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000967.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	706.8 KB
ID:	2030368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000963.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	756.7 KB
ID:	2030369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000965.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	787.9 KB
ID:	2030370  
Old 09-09-2014, 04:55 AM
matadco

I have built 2 tigers, the first in the "90's and was a 45 size. The 60 one I built a couple of years ago. The only problem with the 60 was extremely tail heavy. Took almost pound of nose weight. What's the secret to building more nose heavy. avoiding so much noise weight? It flies great but how much better without the extreme nose weight.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by matadco
I have built 2 tigers, the first in the "90's and was a 45 size. The 60 one I built a couple of years ago. The only problem with the 60 was extremely tail heavy. Took almost pound of nose weight. What's the secret to building more nose heavy. avoiding so much noise weight? It flies great but how much better without the extreme nose weight.
Nose weight to ballance is just one fo the things that need to be done reguardless of the amount. It will have an effect on performance if it has a marginal engine, as a matter a fact many put a heavier engine in them to help with the ballance issues, much depends on how you want to fly it and you have a throttle to manage the power so go bigger. It's a great flyer with alot of wing area and will handle whatever weight is needed to ballance. You can also put a hatch on the bottom of chin (right under the fuel tank) and get a good size battery in it, that will make a difference.

Leroy
Old 09-09-2014, 03:24 PM
matadco

Got a 91 4-stroke pulling the thing and still tons of nose weight to balance. The idea of a chin for the battery sounds like a winner! I used fishing weights melted together then bolted them as a chin just to get balance. Its a great flyer and handles the Okey winds better with the added weight. Never thought about fabricating the chin for battery and what ever additional weight might be needed. Thanks for the idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.