Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tiger 60 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tiger 60 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:52 PM
MarkDiDo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 60 Build Thread

Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Problem is, I'm dane bramaged.

I realized after I read your post that I've mixed up some parts from the Tiger with another old kit that I had.

Now I'm REALLY worried about how my Tiger turns out!

Hope you don't mind me using you as a sounding board. I flew R/C many many moons ago in Va Beach when the majority of airplanes were kit-built. ARF and RTF were virtually unheard of back then! I always liked the looks of the Tiger and was glad to see the kit was still available.

I'm dropping an OS 65LA into the Tiger. The clearance between the underside of the muffler arm and the top of the "engine cowl" is about 1/8th of an inch. Is this close enough to damage the aircraft / cause it to burst into flames? I could always carve out a little of the cowl to give it more clearance if I need to.

Thanks again!

Mark

P. S. Notice you're up in Manassas. I was stationed / lived in Va Beach for 15 years, but I always loved going up there to "horse country"

Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Long Holiday Weekend + 2 days vacation = PROGRESS!

Pic 1 - Wing top with variation on stock scheme.
Pic 2 - Wing bottom
Pic 3 - Vertical Stab and Rudder, Left side
Pic 4 - Vertical Stab and Rudder, Right side
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18227.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1024776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91087.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1024777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98403.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1024778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99567.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1024779  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 PM
RCPtero

Looks good!! Does that orange glow in the dark?? You certainly should be able to tell top from bottom on that wing.

Took mine back home to Ohio this weekend, but didn't fly her. The farmer plowed up the field I was going to have my runway in, and the other field right there had corn growing about seven feet tall. I did fly the trainer from the road, but just missed the corn on takeoff and struck both blade tips on landing. So, I decided to stick to my heli's for the rest of the weekend.

Keep up the progress and post some more photos. I'm curious how she's going to look when she's ready to fly!

Tom
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

wow it seems the tiger is one popular bird, it's no real surprise it's a very good design.

my son had the junior as his first plane and we have built several since.

here is a modified version I'm doing for fun.

Name:	Ca82876.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1025105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80679.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1025106  
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 AM
krossk

ORIGINAL: tessex
Looks good!! Does that orange glow in the dark?? You certainly should be able to tell top from bottom on that wing.
LOL - Pretty much! [sm=shades_smile.gif] That's one of the reasons I like it so much. I had a similar scheme on my T2 and really liked the fact that it was easy to keep orientation. I decided to switch the black/white on the top of the wing just to make it a little different. I also added the silver striping just to give it a more "finished" look. I didn't remember that rudder looking that big when it was in the bones...[sm=eek.gif]

Keep up the progress and post some more photos. I'm curious how she's going to look when she's ready to fly!
As time and opportunity permit, I will certainly keep progress documented. I've come to accept that it won't maiden until next year. (Unless I get gifted with an abundance of time and good weather - yeah, right!)
Old 09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
krossk

A little more progress - tailfeathers!

Name:	Jh14732.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1037621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87592.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1037622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75146.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1037623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45331.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1037624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa32680.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1037625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul78744.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1037626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ps27211.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1037627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lk34579.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1037628  

Old 09-21-2008, 08:29 PM
RCPtero

Still looking sweet!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Kross,
Good to see the tiger is still in the works. Mine now sits in the rack and barely ever flies. I am working on a Focus II 2 meter right now
and it is ARC, so I decided to do a tribute to the tiger as my covering scheme. Seeing as the tiger has been reccomended so highly as
a pattern training plane. My colors are black silver and red in the traditional 3 stripe Tiger scheme.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
RCPtero

I've been concentrating on learning helis over the past couple of months, so have neglected mine. I did take her out yesterday and put about five flights on her. Still flying sweet! Had her so far up in the nosebleed section that I almost couldn't see her. (I was trying to catch a cloud. Think I did too!!)

Tom
Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 PM
krossk

The covering is finally complete!

Name:	Lj24006.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1055261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65851.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1055262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47843.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1055263  
Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

Krosk,

I am about to cover my Tiger .60. It is rather highly modified. I only have about 1/4 inch of dihederal, I have added flaps, and changed the shape of the rudder ( it now has no sweep). Power is a Magnum .91 four stroke. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. I also built up a balsa cowling similar to yours.

Thats a very nice covering job on you Tiger. Good job.

Warm Regards

Travis
Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 PM
ricardinho

hey guys just curious if a 90 two stroke will be ok on this turkey. i had one with a super tiger 75 and was happy but sold it a year ago. i am going to build one for my buddy and was wondering if anybody has flown it on a 90 2 stroke. any info would be great.. thanks
Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
krossk

It takes a while to find just the right pilot to entrust with a new model.
I think I finally found one with the right skillz!!

I also got just the right tint on the canopy using 1 pkg. Black and 1 pkg Royal Blue
Rit dye with 1/2 cup salt in 140 degree water for 30 min.

Name:	Ec89406.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1078461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87059.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1078462  
Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 PM
RCPtero

Looking Greeeaaaatt!!! (Oops, wrong Tiger.)

Tom
Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 PM
mothy1946

Hi Guys,
Ive had and been flying my Tiger 60 (built from plans and powered by a Magnum 75 two stroke) for several years. It is not my only model by any means, at last count there were about 17 in the hangar from a small indoor electric foam Tiger moth to a 1/10 museum scale B17 powered by 4 x 46 Thunder Tigers.
The Tiger 60 is a great all rounder and I have just returned from our flying field a couple of hours ago having had some flights with it today.
I always enjoy RC Universe Forums ( see Giant Telemaster rryman ) and thought when I got home I'd see what other modellers were doing with the Tiger 60s. One of the members at the club this morning came over to me and made the comment that the Tiger looked like it would be a good candidate for being built as a twin. The wing span may need to be increased a little ( at least by the width of the engine nascelles to provide extra lift lost by this modification ) and the dihedral reduced a little.
Any one have any thought or know wjether this has been done?
Tim
Old 11-25-2008, 06:14 AM
krossk

Looking Greeeaaaatt!!! (Oops, wrong Tiger.)
Tom
LOL! Too Funny!

ORIGINAL: mothy1946
Hi Guys,
I always enjoy RC Universe Forums ( see Giant Telemaster rryman ) and thought when I got home I'd see what other modellers were doing with the Tiger 60s. One of the members at the club this morning came over to me and made the comment that the Tiger looked like it would be a good candidate for being built as a twin. The wing span may need to be increased a little ( at least by the width of the engine nascelles to provide extra lift lost by this modification ) and the dihedral reduced a little.
Any one have any thought or know wjether this has been done?
Tim
I hadn't thought about that, but it does have interesting possibilities.
I'm not sure you'd even need to lengthen the wing. I took one bay off each side in this build, so I would think the stock wing would be plenty. I'd love to see that project documented, so if you do it, please post a build thread!

Ross
Old 12-20-2008, 09:57 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

I wonder if one of you guys can help with a basic build question on the Tiger 60. This is a basic kit. When I read the instructions, they make it sound like the cockpit floor and the canopy are glued downcertainly the canopy.

If I do that, how the heck do I get back into the servo/battery/receiver area? The only thing I can think of is to screw it down somehow. Any ideas? []

Also, I've noticed in this thread that several folks have tinted their canopy. Can someone advise what the best way of doing that is? Is there a paint that will work on the plastic?

Thanks guysfor anyone who can help

Larry.

(done with tail feathers, done with wing, sanding the fuse now-getting ready to put it all together)
Old 12-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Palmetto

krossk, your Tiger covering is beautiful. Very nice!

phakur,
I have not yet built a Tiger but have plans to scratch one from my own version of similar plans. If you look at the build pictures in the previous posts you will see the canopy deck area is sheeted and the canopy is attached in what ever way you like. Some people like to simply use screws, some people like to use glue. Access to the servos and radio gear is through the wing seat hole. I did design an electric version of the Tiger where the canopy was made as a hatch. This made it easy to change the LiPo batteries but of a glow powered version it really isn't needed. The actual answer to your question is to do what you want. It is your model, and no right or wrong way. The canopy area is purly cosmetic so build what looks good to you.

Most people like to dye canopy plastic with Rit Dye found in department stores. Some plastics work better than others so you have to test it on scrap pieces first. You can also find transparent paints at the hobby shop that you can spray inside the canopy as well.

good luck on your build,
Palmetto
Old 12-20-2008, 10:40 AM
RCPtero

Larry,

You get the the servo/rx/batt area through the wing saddle when the wing is removed. The servos are mounted with the bottoms toward the top of the plane. Personally, I put the batteries up underneath the fuel tank and leave them in the plane. If I do need to pull them, I pull the tank first.

I've never tinted a canopy. However, from what I've read, folks mix up some dark clothing dye and soak it in there. If you search the site, I know there are threads that discuss it.

Tom
Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM
mothy1946

Hi Everyone,
I agree with the other posts. In my plan built tiger 60 access to the servos , battery etc is through the wing saddle. This is a gaping great hole and access is easy. The cockpit floor is glued in place and the canopy screwed on with small srews around the edge into holes in the balsa hardened with a drop of thin cyano. Let the cyano cure though before screwing in the screws or it will be difficult to remove them should the need arise. I painted the canopy deck with matt black paint and them glued a pilot bust to the floor. The pilot actually contains some lead fishing sinkers and was moved around in the cockpit and positioned to fine tune the balance of the aircraft. The overlap between the canopy edge and the balsa of the fuselage is easily tidied up by covering it with auto pinstripe tape. This can be purchased in a colour that matches the final colour applied to the fuselage whether that be paint on a plastic film or a contrasting color. Chrome finish tape looks good against any background color.
Tim
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Just wanted to thank all you guys and Krossk for your replies. They all helped a lot in giving me a better idea on how to do things.

Just sanding right now-a little every day until I am satisfied. Then on to finishing.

Larry
Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 PM
mothy1946

Larry,
This is a really good model to fly. Aerobatic (within reason not 3D) and forgiving. Stall is gentle and although it will wallow and tend to drop a wing on landing if speed is too low ( as will any model) there is a large speed range to play with. Mine is powered with a Magnum 75 2 stroke and has more than enough power in fact for most flying it is happy on 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. In case you don't do it already, you will find your turns are flatter and look better if you mix aileron and rudder. About 30-40% rudder is about right. This mix is also very handy for cross wind landings. I was a little concerned initially that the elevator wasn't big enough but fears were quickly dispelled . Elevator response is good but it is worth going to high rates for landing.
One other thing in case you haven't done it, the top balsa deck forward of the cockpit on mine has been made to be removable by unscrewing a couple of retaining screws. this gives excellent tank access without having to go through the wing saddle and disturb the servos receiver and battery.
Seasons Greetings,
Tim
Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
lonestoner

hey all . just started my tiger 60, with a saito 91. its gonna be a tail dragger i fly from a grass field.i read most of the thread its awsome that there is such a following of the tiger , i like the way it looks. as for any modifacations im not gonna change much if any . this plane is for practice purposes only , i dont want to do moves that i know this plane wont do,but i can sure have a hoot tryin , its a very boxy design. i also like the size . my next plane is a step up . so i just need to practice control and use the energy of momentum for pattern moves . for me its control. and all this issue of center of gravity . ok here is my rule of thumb. the plane should always have like 20 -30 degrees of down grade for a nice glide home on an empty tank . well untill then my tiger friends keep building . ill post pics as i go
Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 AM
lonestoner

hey guys just another thing . i just built my fuselage and no where does it say to remove those large tabs in the fuselage sides . i just noticed that in koskk pics . i also dont like hollow fuselage sides in general .just a thought .it might be a bit heavy but it needs to be airworthy. thanks guys
Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 AM
RCPtero

Those are holes to lighten the aft of the fuse. If you leave them in, you might need more weight in the nose to balance when the time comes. Other that the weight, I see that as a personal preference.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.