Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Kit Suggestions (2nd plane)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Kit Suggestions (2nd plane)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Zephirus79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit Suggestions (2nd plane)

Well I have a tower hobbies 40 trainer that came to me RTF for the most part. All I had to do was connect the pushrods and a few other minor things.

I would like to get a kit to build while im learning with my trainer. I dont know if I should get another trainer in kit version to learn how to build, or to get some kind of a scale or sport plane to up my flying abilities when its finished.

Suggestions? Perhaps a good plane to start with to build from the kit?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: First Kit Suggestions (2nd plane)

There's some great information over in the beginners forum on this - as a matter of fact I believe someone just asked almost an identical question.

Hope this helps!

Bob
Old 11-15-2006, 04:35 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

most people suggest the Sig Four Star 40 for a second plane. i think you could get away with building it as your first kit. it doesn't look to build any different than a trainer.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I predict you'll do well with R/C. Anyone currently flying a trainer and considering building a trainer as a good first kit shows a great deal of patience and forthought.

There are a lot of good "simple" kits, and there are lots of good choices for you. What you'll enjoy is as much a matter of personal taste as anything. As far as good builds that fly well and would make a good second plane. I know many experienced "old timers" who build kits like Sig Kadets just because they enjoy building them and like to have a easy flying bird around. Always nice and great for winter and water ski and float flies.

I would recommend the Goldberg Falcon III. It's a straight forward build. Can be built as a tail dragger if you want a little extra interest, and flys well. It's a little better performing than a very basic trainer but still very forgiving and predictable. Put a .46 in it and it is peppy, too.

I'll give you two others that would be good considerations. The Sig Mid-Star and the Great Planes Easy Sport.

But there is nothing at all wrong with building a LT-40 or Sig Kadet. It's just that then you'll have two planes of similar design and flight envelopes, and that's kind of . . . boring.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Over in the beginner's forum I've compiled a list of planes that are good for beginners, and I also have some "second planes" on that list. It's broken down into ARF, RTF, and Kits. While it doesn't cover everything that is available, it does have the kits that are great for a first time build. Take a look at it here:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer, what's available. (Updated 10-3-06) [/link]

Ken
Old 11-15-2006, 05:19 PM
XTOL

Ive always recommended the Sig Midstar as 2nd plane.
It has everything a good 2nd plane should have.

1. Its a kit.

2. Its rugged enough to take the abuse its likely to get.

3. Its aerobatic enough to hold your interest for a long time.

4. It flies great.

5. It is very good for landing practice. And landing is the
most important skill for you to master.

This is a plane you will learn to FLY. Most trainers only
teach you not to crash.

Mike Hammer
Old 11-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken's list is very good and informative.

I would recommend NOT DOING a scale plane for your 2nd plane. The majority of scale planes, while they may look like a trainer (and may even be a trainer in the full size world ), do not fly like a trainer. Scale planes USUALLY fly differently from their sport and "stand way off and kinda squint" equivelants.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
kqutob

Take a good look at the Great Planes RV-4 , Super Sporster or the Top Flite Contender
Old 11-19-2006, 11:02 PM
chashint

Actually building a trainer is not a bad idea at all.
I do not have any personal experience with this one
Goldberg Falcon III Trainer $74.99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJB5&P=0
but Goldberg is generally well respected as a brand and if you want to you can transfer the engine and electronics from your RTF when you get it finished. Being a trainer it should be easy to build, having a semi-symetrical wing should make it an "advanced" trainer.
I am just finishing up a PT-60 for my brother which I have modified into a tail dragger, it has been fun.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: kqutob

Take a good look at the Great Planes RV-4 , Super Sporster or the Top Flite Contender
Allthree of these MIGHT be a good second plane, but they are usually more of a third plane

Look at these three:

Sig 4*
Goldberg Tiger II
Great Planes Rapture