Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

P-51D .60 DOUBLE TROUBLE/ FROM NITRO PLANES

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

P-51D .60 DOUBLE TROUBLE/ FROM NITRO PLANES

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 10:25 AM
STAN-LEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-51D .60 DOUBLE TROUBLE/ FROM NITRO PLANES

HAS ANYONE PUT ONE OF THESE ARF PLANES TOGEATHER W/RETRACTS/MY INSTRUCTIONS LEAVE A LOT OF INFO OUT.I AM BUILDING THIS TO GET THROUGH THE WINTER/ SAYS 3 TO 5 HOURS TO BUILD/FIRST TIME DOING THIS AND HAVE LOTS TO LEARN BUT WILL TAKE MY TIME/WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME INPUT /I HAVE THE THUNDER TIGER F-91S NEW TO PUT IN ALSO AM WAITING ON SPECKTRUM 7 TRANMITTER AND AR-7000 RECEIVER AND SERVOS ,ANY INPUT ON PUTTING IN POWER SUPPLY AND TANK HOLD DOWNS ETC.CAME FROM NITRO PLANES I HAVE MOST TOOLS AND BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF DIAGRAM READING[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-25-2007, 09:13 AM
rollingrookie
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: P-51D .60 DOUBLE TROUBLE/ FROM NITRO PLANES

Are you still in trouble? I have put together a Hanger 9 P-51 and have one on order also from Nitro Models. The airframes seem the same. Maybe the Hanger 9 manual may help? Or just ask and I can walk you through it
Old 04-02-2009, 11:32 AM
curtwithac

I purchased a P-51D Mustang – 60 W/retracts from Nitro a few weeks back and I have run into a problem.
I’m hoping some has some detailed instructions on the retract insulation that comes with the kit? The instructions makes no since. The 90dg. retract servo mounts in the center of the wing joint with no access to adjust push rods both wing are joined in the middle around the sevo which is centered in the middle of the center joint... Can anyone give me some detailed instructions for mounting and adjusting rod length as well as installing the servo? If not where could I go to view more detailed instructions?
Thanks,
-Curt
Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Bennie Benoit
My Feedback: (11)

I just finished building and flying the Double Trouble P-51. Yes, the instructions leave a lot to be desired. I re-glued, added epoxy and added corner braces and supports where ever it was possible without removing any covering. On the maiden flight the horizontal stabilizer started to shudder, (confirmed by pit crew) and the plane crashed out of control. Upon inspection, the stabilizer had broken in several places and caused it to flap.
I called N.P. for some recourse and got a big no. Once the plane is flown, you have no warranty. I have since rebuilt and recovered the plane, added reliable retracts and successfully flown the P-51. It does fly and land like any war bird.
On the retracts, I had to rotate the servo in the wing from tip to tip. I also had to build up the servo mount about 1/2 inch for the push rods to clear the wheel wells and also cut out the center "button" and slit the "well" for the rod to work without any friction.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:02 PM
shelbybobsmith

i also bout a p-51 mustang from nitro i cannot figure out the retracts did u ever get it figured out what do i do?????
Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM
curtwithac

Bob,
Yes, See Bennie Benoit's reply on building up the servo mount 1/2” for retracts rods to clear the wheel wells. I used a regular servo and extended the throw, a retract servo does not work. I put easy connectors by Du-Bro #490 for 4-40 retract wire, I also cut away the wood that was on top of the servo arm to have no interference it looks really crappy but it is hidden where it can't be seen when the wing is put on. But like Bennie said, use a good retract I used Dave Browns and they work great. You also have to trim the wheel wells a lot more than I wanted to do but after taking a couple Xanax I was able to make everything fit OK. It’s not going to look perfect but you’re not spending a lot for the Model. Hope the helps, if you need some pictures I could get you some
Happy Flying,
-Curt