Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

BALSA USA or SIG?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

BALSA USA or SIG?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 PM
mapleleafs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BALSA USA or SIG?

I just finished my latest 3d airplane(showtime). I am planning on going into scale flying. I have built numerous arfs and about 3 kits. I do like to build very simple and straight forward kits, making sure that i have a fun/stress free build. I want this scale model to be electric power!

I was looking at the BUSA 1/4 SOPWITHY PUP and also the 1/4 scale piper cub.

I also notice that sig makes a piper cub. Which is better? Should i got with the BUSA SOP or the cubs?

I said that i want to make this electric. i have already found the new GP 3600 12c batery. This is a nihm battery. I has thinking of have a over powered scale plane for some aerobatics. 24c are needed so i would by to of these packs. With a motor and ESC this would equal the wieth of a zenoah 26 including full 20 onze gas tank.

So what do you recommend?[>:]
Old 11-22-2006, 11:04 PM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts
Default RE: BALSA USA or SIG?

I'm currently building the wings for a 1/4 scale BUSA Nieuport 17. I've built SIG products in the past. I've been happy with the products of both companies. It probably just comes down to which features that you like best or which has the best price at the time.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are looking for a simple, stress-free build, avoid either of the cubs. I can't speak for the Pup, but both of those cubs are builder's kits.

However, the Sig 1/5 scale cub is an updated kit with laser-cut parts and excellent instructions. THis may be what you're looking for
Old 11-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mapleleafs

I said that i want to make this electric. i have already found the new GP 3600 12c batery. This is a nihm battery. I has thinking of have a over powered scale plane for some aerobatics. 24c are needed so i would by to of these packs. With a motor and ESC this would equal the wieth of a zenoah 26 including full 20 onze gas tank.

So what do you recommend?[>:]
I strongly suggest looking at the outrunner motors (Axi & E-Flight ). They have direct drive motors that are the equivelant of 1.20 (and larger ) glow engines.

I would also suggest looking at LiPo batteries. LiPo batteries will cut your battery pack weight by about 1/2.

If you do not have a LiPo charger, SLK offers a "LiPo-Dapter" for about $40 so you can charge LiPo from your regular charger. I have a LiPo-Dapter and it works perfectly.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:46 PM
grillo

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know the new laser cut SIG, but the last plane i built was a BUSA Sopwith...... its almost a scrtch build proyect and theres a lot of left to choice or experience parts as fore my taste i would go with the sig witch i think is not as hard to build for a intermidiate builder (the sopwith is a beautifull plane to fly)
Old 11-23-2006, 05:11 PM
mapleleafs

Hey thanks for the info, but i do not need so use lipos because they are to light. The planes recommend a zenoah 26. This engine weighs 53 onzes along with a 6 onze muffler. It also recommends a 16-20onze gas tank! this means the added up weight is 70-80 onzes. I would need to buy about .75 grand worth of lipos!

I think i will go with sig 1/4 scale clipped wing. this airplane weights about 15lbs. I am thinking of using the GP 3600 12c batts for juice, E-Flight 110 or 160 brushless engine, and a Castle Creations 85HV speed controller.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:29 PM
mapleleafs

Hey i was looking at more kits and noticed some have die-cut and some have lazer cut, what is the difference?
Old 11-23-2006, 07:36 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Die cut kits depend on the quality and age (sharpness) of the die for the accuracy of the parts. Older dies can "crush" the wood as they cut the part, leaving a splintered and uneven edge. Laser cut parts are extremely precise and generally fit snugly together like a well made jigsaw puzzle. Both Sig and BUSA have excellent die cut quality as a rule, so little problem there. I have to agree with MinnFlyer on the 1/5 Sig Cub, it's all laser cut and makes an excellent flying plane. The kit can be built as either full span or clipped wing, the plans include both. Between the two 1/4 scale Cubs, I prefer the BUSA due to the way the wings are designed as compared to the Sig. BUSA builds the wing center section as part of the cabin structure, Sig builds the center section into one of the wing halves, The 1/5 Sig Cub wings build like the BUSA 1/4 scale. On all of these, the wing struts are functional and support much of the wing load in flight.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:07 PM
mapleleafs

Ok so i decided i am going to get the busa 1.4 scale cub. Does the kit include instructions for a clipped-wing version? I would also like to know what should be the largest prop that can go on this thin?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:06 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Scale diameter for a prop for a 1/4 scale Cub is 18 inches (full scale is 72 inch). and a G-26 will spin one just fine. Don't know about electric though. As far as clipping the wings, my plans don't show them, but mine is a fairly old kit, don't know if they've changed.

At any rate, it's a straightforward deal to clip the wings. Just omit the two inboard bays on each wing half. You'll have to shorten the wing struts accordingly, but the attach points for the main struts and the jury struts are the same for the full-span or clipped span.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mapleleafs

Ok so i decided i am going to get the busa 1.4 scale cub. Does the kit include instructions for a clipped-wing version? I would also like to know what should be the largest prop that can go on this thin?
The Balsa USA cub is pretty much a builder's kit. I don't think that building 3 kits is going to make this one enjoyable for you. The Sig kit is more forgiving for a beginning modeller. This is not to say that you could not possibly complete it, but I think that you would get more pleasure from something such the Goldberg Cub, then the Sig or the Balsa USA kit. These builder's kits leave a lot to your imigination, and your experience. What the instructions do not say can fill books (plural). Please listen to those of us who have done these models, and you will be happier in the long run. There is nothing more disheartening than a semi built kit that has been started, and then the would-be builder realized that he got in over his head, and either sells it, gives it away or just trashes it. Give it a little more time, and you will have the experience to build this one. I've seen it happen too many times, and some of the better builder's kits are getting pretty rare. (PICA Kits come immediately to mind)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 PM
mapleleafs

well thanks all you guys for your help!