Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Senior Kadet for Fun

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Senior Kadet for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Kadet for Fun

Here are some pictures of a Senior Kadet I am building for just fun flying next year. I plan to cover with Koverall and Polycrylic. Acrylic Latex paint and then top coat with Lacqure. I have a scale project up next so this is a test paint job as well. Kadet Senior is a nice kit.

JEB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37374.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	566706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72608.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	566707  
Old 11-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Senior Kadet for Fun

Nice, this will fly well. You mods are much like my old one (RIP). I am in the process on a new one. Mine will have 6" less wing with simi-symetrical ribs. and capstrips on the wings for strength. Also a tail dragger with flattened wing.
Good luck.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:55 AM
bps

Well here is the finished product. Saito .82 four stroke, futaba 9cap and 16 oz fuel tank. Modifications include tail wheel, bolt on wings, solid windshield with a different nose shape, balsa cowl, ailerons with dual servos. Covering is left over monocoat from other projects. Almost had enough to finish but ran out on the tail. Now back to my scale 1/4 scale cub project.

Name:	Ge94293.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	583359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14931.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	583360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68293.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	583361  
Old 12-25-2006, 05:20 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bps,

I don't get it! Why did you scrap the nice appearance of the windshield and use balsa to make it like you did? I built one last Spring and converted it to a tail dragger with bolt down wings and functional struts. I also put a fiberglass landing gear on it at the leading edge of the wing. I had to beef up the inside to make it work. I put in a cockpit with pilot for looks. I also got an ARF fiberglass cowling for it and side mounted the engine. Mine looks like a Cub from a distance as I put a dummy engine on the left side. It is also covered with Solortex fabric in Cub yellow. I put all the decals from a Cub kit on it and I call it my Kadub. When flying at a little distance everyone thinks it's a Cub. Now I'm building a 1/4 scale Super Cub. It won't be yellow.

Gibbs
Old 12-25-2006, 07:54 PM
bps

Gibbs,

Just for the fun of it on the windshield and something different on the cowl. I kind of like the sweeping windshield and nose. Motor was mounted straight up just for the sake of ease. All materials I had on hand so it took nothing else, except the motor that I wanted any way. I did beef up the landing gear wire attatchments. You are most likely correct in puting in a fiberglass gear. I will see how the wire responds to a rough field.

Any chance of a build thread on the Cub? Never to many of them you know!

Thanks for the comments,

JEB
Old 12-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Hi Gibbs,
The one I am building will have a solid wrap a round windshild and covered sides which is much stronger and functional. It will be similar to the LT 40 in that respect. I have a number of scale planes and this one is not intended to be anything but what I want.
Mine will have semi symetrical bolt down wings that have been shortened and flattened.
The really neat thing about Sr. Kadets is that you can do so much to one and they still fly great. Mine is a full scratch build off my old plans.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:55 AM
TCrafty

We are just finishing up a renovation of an old Kadet Senior kit that I purchased used a few years ago. It worked great as my trainer and it "evolved" through several engines. It now has an OS 91 in it, a swept back wing like a Stinson (or the Old Timer from Great Planes if you remember that one) and will have pants and struts on it when finished. We just started covering the wing and hope to have it finished by the weekend. I'm thinking of calling it the "Kadet Senior Classic". I'm hoping to have a lot of fun with this now, neat looking airplane. I'll post pics when it's finished.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:31 PM
NCIS

Hey,

Here are a couple pictures of my Kadub. I hope they turn out.What ya think funny isn't it.

Gibbs

Name:	Bz78646.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	586017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98619.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	586018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf88055.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	586019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31515.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	586020  
Old 12-29-2006, 02:42 PM
NCIS

Here are a couple of the enclosed cockpit with pilot. The cockpit floor screws in for easy access to the servos and whatever.

Gibbs

Name:	Lj23483.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	586022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49856.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	586023  
Old 01-08-2007, 05:33 PM
timLQ

HI,

Do you have a pic of your Kadet with pilot? What scale pilot did you use. Thanks.