Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

American Kit Cutters Vs. Precision Cut Kits

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

American Kit Cutters Vs. Precision Cut Kits

Old 01-24-2003, 06:04 AM
psrmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Kit Cutters Vs. Precision Cut Kits

I am ready to purchase my C130 kit from either American Kit Cutters ($350, hand cut) or Precision Cut Kits ($420, Laser cut). Does anyone have experience with either of these companies?

Patrick
Old 01-24-2003, 12:32 PM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

My p-47 kit from PCK was fine but I had to buy about $50.00 extra wood that wasn't in the kit!! 2 of my buddies just bought a p-47 and a F-4U both Ziroli from PCK and they were missing wood spars and a few other pieces.When they called all larry could say was sorry but that has never happened before!! Yah RIGHT! Your best bet is to go with someone else unless you want to spend more than you already are.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:06 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

I know both of these guy from when I lived in New Jersey. Matter of fact I believe Larry Katona (http://www.precisioncutkits.com/) use to work for Doug McMillan (http://www.aero-sports.com/aakc/) from what I understand. They both belong to the same club Mercer County Radio Control Society (http://www.mcrcs.com/)

They both set up booths side by side at the MCRC Jumbo Jamboree in Imlaystown NJ on Memorial Day weekend. (Highly recommend this IMAA Event - Usually around 100 pilots on Sat and 80 or so on Sunday).

Both cut pretty much the same kits and both make very good quality kits from most of the major designers.

If Larry said that it was a mistake I would believe him.

You have a choice. Most of AAKC is mainly hand cut with a little bit of laser in some kits. Most of PKC is laser with some hand cutting.

I would not hesitate to buy one of there kits.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:39 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Hostetler Mong Bipe from PCK and it is the best kit I have ever seen. Excellent wood quality, accurate cut and tight fitting parts.

I will use Larry at PCK for all my Giant Scale kit needs.

Don
Old 01-25-2003, 06:21 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just in case you're not aware of the www.theaeroplaneworks.com thought I'd mention this shop run by Mace Gill with whom there's a lot of positive feedback throughout RCUNIVERSE. I'd be surprised to hear of any complaints about him not taking care of parts shortages, or any other problem for that matter. He's also one of the 3 recommended kit cutters on Nick Ziroli's site, along with the other two names you mentioned

OOOPS. I left the word "the" out of his web address. Try it now by clicking on it.

Also, if you use the "Search" on the top of this page under the RCUNIVERSE title, and when you are in the search, enter MACE GILL in the "SEARCH BY KEYWORD", you will find many threads that he has personally participated in. To my knowledge, the other two mentioned kit cutters do not participate on RCUNIVERSE. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Hope this helps. -Randall
Old 01-25-2003, 12:42 PM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

well it seems pretty wierd when you and your friends get 3 differen't kits through a period of a year and they all have stuff missing from them.One of the guys I referred to earlier had the hardwood spars from his F 4-U missing,He also owns the local hobby shop.When he called larry and told him what was missing he told him to take it out of his own stock because it would cost too much for him to ship just the spars!!!!What kind of crap is that??you pay for something then have to go out and end up buying more wood anyway because something is missing.I don't think that is right.
Now that's 3 kits with something missing from all of them,That's pretty consistant if you ask me.I did like the quality of the wood that Larry uses and all his stuff is very detailed and marked so there is no confusion.He does put out some very nice kits I think he needs a little better inspection of his kits before they are shipped but other than that he does produce nice stuff.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:40 PM
psrmc

We'll I've decided to purchase my kit from PCK. In fact I purchased it this morning. Thank you for all of your feedback. The deciding factor was after reviewing the plans I knew that precision cutting was going to make the difference. I'm sure American Kit Cutters does a fine job but for my first larger scale project I needed the assurance that laser cutting provides. I hope it's worth the extra $70.

Patrick
Old 01-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Default psmrc

I went with our own KIT CRITTER, SEEM'S LIKE EVERY TIME i GET INTO A KIT, SHE GET'S INVOLVED. So far no missing wood part's but some of the shinny sundry metal one's come up missing, but!! We know just where she hides em. Hope this help's. OOP's sorry about that, you meant cutter's not critter's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	50439_4849.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	30702  
Old 01-26-2003, 07:17 PM
psrmc

Hope she doesn't chew on any cables! She looks the perfect size for a passenger. I'd be worried she may leave a little present in the cabin to replace the shinny parts.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:14 PM
M Gill

RandallM,

I am VERY THANKFUL for you praise!!!!

But I don't cut a kit for the C-130 (and I have no IMMEDIATE plans to cut it)

Mace Gill
The Aeroplane Works