Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Super Skybolt Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Super Skybolt Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 AM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Super Skybolt Kit

Hey Ken i need to know something, i just bought a used GP skybolt kit from a guy that he decided that he didnt want it no more and i just setting it up with my radio gear but the web site says to balance it 2 3/4 at T7. Where is T7 i do not have plans and the web site dont show where T7 is. Can you describe me in detail where the balance is? I have installed an OS 91 four stroke and futaba gear nearly in front of the compartment next to F2 and i dont understand where to check the balance. Thanks and i hope to hear from you soon.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 12-31-2006, 02:35 AM
parrthd

it's on the wing spar at the wing struts.......with a .91 you will need quite a bit of nose weight

i've got a 1.20 surpass w/ pump on mine and it's a "very slight touch" on the nose heavy side but comes in very forgiving. one things for sure......you'll LOVE this plane. i've only flew mine 4 times and i find i love it even more each time i fly it.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a scan directly off of the plans. It shows you where the CG should be set.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12782.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	587408  
Old 12-31-2006, 05:49 PM
rglgatortail

holy smokes this thing is tail heavy. i hate that when that happens. i estimate 3 oz. on the fire wall im gonna have to make a plywood box to hold BB's and bolt it to the fire wall
Old 01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
parrthd

yea, that is one downside to this model. if known ahead you could build incorporate lightening techniques to the tail but how much would be the question. mine weighs 9lbs 4oz it flies great and i have trouble getting it to slow down to land. mods-r-me weighed in at 10lbs 12oz and went deadstick on maiden but had no problems gliding in for a nice touchdown. if you're interested i'll post links to videos of both maidens.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:50 PM
rglgatortail

I got a flight on my skybolt today and im so excited to say that the os 91 behaved really nicely to give me a 13 minute flight on a 12 oz tank, loops and four point rolls are great and although i never had a dead stick i did bounce it a couple of times when landing wow does it slow down on landing, i had to teach myself to add a couple of clicks of power until a 3 point touch down and then loose the power. My skybolt with weight came out to 8 3/4 lbs but i noticed that i have to use just a pressure feel of down elevator for inverted flight, is that what everyone else has to use on inverted? my friend tells me that i used too much nose weight and that i should take some out. It will definately will not flatten out on an inverted flat spin, it still has a tail high appearing flat spin. I balanced it at 3 inches behind the leading edge at T7. Any direction of weight addition or elimination would be appreciated. I will have some pictures posted soon.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:30 AM
parrthd

that sounds like a carbon copy of the way mine flies. slighty nose down on flat spins, haven't actuallly got mine into an inverted flat spin yet - i still have the throws set at recommended settings. plan on turning them up a bit the next time i go to the field.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:02 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my Skybolt! It was an aniversary gift from my wife. Don't you wish you had one like her?

Been looking at them for quite some time but had too many projects lined up. I'm just getting to the covering stage with my 70" Sukhoi and then I've got a 1/2A scratch build in the queue but then I'll break open the Skybolt box. With all the discussion of this plane here I'm really stoked!

Dave
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
parrthd

congrats........nice gift indeed.......

good to know you'll think of here during EACH AND EVERY ONE of the "more diffucult" areas this build has......LOL j/k

it's a great kit and you'll have a blast flying it.

btw Welcome to club skybolt.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Falcon26

Wondering what level of performance a 1.08 Red head ASP 2cycle would give in the Super Skybolt (GP)
Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 AM
parrthd

the 1.08 would be just above the top end for 2s. however, i must confess, this plane SCREAMS for a 4s engine if you can afford it. i had an os surpass 1.20 w/ pump that i used just because i had the engine lying around. if i had to buy one it would've been a saito 1.25
Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I had to buy one, I'd go with a YS 110. It has more power than most 120s, and the pressurized fuel allows you to move the tank back to the CG (Which also makes room for a smoke oil tank should you decide to use smoke)
Old 01-15-2007, 09:13 AM
parrthd

good point mike, glad you stepped in here. i just keep forgetting about y.s. engines.....i've never owned one. that's probably why. LOL
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Falcon26

Looking to power the skybolt with ASP 108 any coments